C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "Tech 2 Scan Tool" and where can I get one?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Thanks for the info!! Guess I was wrong about the code thing. I ordered mine Monday and can't wait to get started.

I'll bet I have my car not running in less than a week!

Originally Posted by foff667
HPTuners will allow you to scan pretty much any GM vehicle's PCM/BCM from 97+ for codes as well as hundreds of other parameters. It also allows you to reprogram the pcm and in most calibrations that consists of over 500 editable parameters not including codes . Although it will NOT allow you to program the bcm it will show you any bcm codes you may have which can help in diagnosing any issues you may have.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If you want a lower cost method of maintaining a car you should look at the following:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

About $500 and a computer (obsolete used laptop) or PDA will get you a pretty good package that allows you to perform the operations suggested in the Service Manuals.

Bill
Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

you can find a used Tech II for about 1500/2000, the shop next door to us has one, deleted the F45 adjustable suspension for an APS TT customer recently
Old 04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

You can also pick up a brand spankin' new one on Fleabay for around $2800.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you want a lower cost method of maintaining a car you should look at the following:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

About $500 and a computer (obsolete used laptop) or PDA will get you a pretty good package that allows you to perform the operations suggested in the Service Manuals.

Bill
Does this system have any advantage over Autotap which is cheaper?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:38 AM
brucemoose2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LightFighter_GXP
good thing about living here in Detroit, about 10 of my friends have them and we have 2 at work

Tech 2 is good for doing anything for GM vechicals like updating your PCM firmware, Removing the dreaded Theftlock if you buy a radio off of Ebay..EtC those tuners won't do that
How'd you like to make a couple of bucks by sending me one?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by white90conv
Does this system have any advantage over Autotap which is cheaper?
It looks like Autotap doesn't have the command mode so it can command the car to do things that are required in various diagnostic procedures. It also looks like it is mostly engine related with few of the other On Board system sensors being monitored. If you read the forums you can quickly see that you need more than an OBD II scanner to maintain the car.

I have the 97-04 Service Manuals for all GM vehicles and when I tried to diagnose a problem in my Tahoe's Level Ride system last year found out I needed a tool that could command the Level Ride to do certain things in order to sort out which part was bad. The diagnostics for the Corvette's systems require the same types of commands.

The problem is that most low cost tools are going to be at a huge disadvantage compared to the Tech 2 which can read codes, reset them, command the computers to perform certain actions and also act as a meter. You do get what you pay for.

Bill
Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 AM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tech II is a diagnostic tool for all GM vehicles. Period. It has access to all electronic controllers and modules and can perform various diagnostic functions to determine faults. One of it's nice features is being able to activate functions, relays and modules that would not be on normally unless you're driving at certain speed or certain operating conditions.

You or the dealer cannot tweak the timing curves ,AFR and many other parameters with a Tech II that HP tuners or other Cal software can. GM likes it that way for Warranty purposes to guard against Dummies at the dealer or anyone else with a Tech II .

GM can do it though. It's in the form of a flash update.

That is why you really need both if you want complete access to your Vehicles systems.

Last edited by C6dude; 04-26-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The GM/Vetronix TECH2 is the best scan tool for any GM based vehicle bar none. That is what I use in my shop for all diagnoistic purposes. For me its an invaluable tool for datalogging during tuning and for diagnosis. I have access via "friends" so I can update my TECH2 every time there is an update. If you buy one used, I can update the flash card for you. Or if you want a new unit I can get you one for less than what you find on "fleabay" or from that US Tools Warehouse. I get them without any software, then I "load" it or rather clone the flash memory card with my TECH2 which will have the latest software in it. If you are interested PM me and I will get you a price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is a "Tech 2 Scan Tool" and where can I get one?