C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Napa oil filter (gold)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I was using DELCO Gold and Mobil 1 premium filters. These filters filter very well, but at the expense of flow. They don't flow well, some people say this is bad. I changed to WIX/NAPA Gold. You make your own conclusions/decisions.
I agree with you Oldvetter. I think you want a happy medium; flow but at the same time not so much at the expense of crappy filteration. I found a site that sells WIX filters for $4.11 a piece. I've heard Baldwin also makes a good filter and they run about $7 a piece.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM
98Artic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see, besides my 98 C5, I have owned a Dodge Dart, 2 Impala Converts, 2 Camaros (Z28's), 3 Chevy Trucks, a Chevy Citation, a Chevy Corsica (over 217K miles that had like new compression when I got rid of it) a Mazda 6, a Ford Escape, a Ford Mustang, a VW Scirocco, and probably a few more that do not come to mind. I have always purchased filters that happen to be on sale. Many times Fram and more often than not, the Walmart brand made by Champion. I have never had an oil related issue with any car that I have purchased new and taken care of. I really think that more is made of "crappy" Fram filters than what is warranted. The one car that I have had oil issues with is a 97 Saturn SC1, which I purchased at 123K. I recently rebuilt its motor because of the 45 mpg it gets on the highway.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:52 AM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Bubbletop or Captcruz can I get a link for a website to order Wix in bulk? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey guys, my apologies to all. I posted the wrong site, I have now corrected that. The correct site is www.fleetfilter.com Sorry for the mis-information.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:31 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DSSA
And I still say that in 12 years of building turbocharged cars I've yet to have a turbo bearing failure using them as a result of poor filtration.

I'd be glad to hear your personal or first-hand experiences that differ though.

If Chevy's bearings are more prone to microscopic particles then turbo bearings operating @ 100K rpms, they have some design issues.
Just because nothing failed doesn't mean you had a good oil filter.

I am not just talking out of my butt. Fram filters are INFERIOR end of story.

check the link for a comparison.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
Old 04-21-2007, 03:54 PM
DSSA
Instructor

Originally Posted by max'svette
Just because nothing failed doesn't mean you had a good oil filter.

I am not just talking out of my butt. Fram filters are INFERIOR end of story.

check the link for a comparison.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
As I said, the techno-bable is often re-spewed...

This is exactly what I was talking about.

The "End Of Story" is actually: "Use decent oil and change it regularly" then the techno-babble and aero-space, nuclear, electron-microscope testing means that much less.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by berryj
So Bubbletop or Captcruz can I get a link for a website to order Wix in bulk? Thanks!
http://www.bfwebexpress.com/catalog.asp for Baldwin (B31 for vette part#) and http://www.fleetfilter.com/ for WIX (51042 part#)
Old 04-21-2007, 09:59 PM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, very helpful. I'll be using this soon I think. Seems like if u order over $50 on the Wix site u get a 5% discount too.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by berryj
Great, very helpful. I'll be using this soon I think. Seems like if u order over $50 on the Wix site u get a 5% discount too.
You are correct but if your a real saver, you'll order over 31 Wix filters and save 15% That get you by for the next 15 years of oil changes
Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My coworker worked for Wix, and he seemed to think that the Wix filters were quite good. I don't have a Corvette (yet) but I've seen a lot of good reports on Champion Labs filters (Mobil1, K&N, Bosch, STP). According to some used filter analyses, the issue with Fram's is the fact that the filter element/binding agents can begin to dissolve prior to to the time it is changed (can't remember if it was a 3000 mile interval or what)..
Old 04-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Secret237
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
The NAPA Gold and the WIX filters are the same. I just switched to them. I was using DELCO Gold, but switched to get more flow, and I did, my oil pressure increased. That price is not bad for a premium oil filter. You can use the standard GM oil filter, they tested them for 200,000 miles engine life (changing them of course).

I use NAPA filters.

They even use the same part number .... NAPA 1515 (Ford) is a Wix 515, just drop the first number.

But really any filter is fine because if you change your oil at regular intervals, like ever 3000 miles or so, any filter should be fine.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
...the issue with Fram's is the fact that the filter element/binding agents can begin to dissolve prior to to the time it is changed (can't remember if it was a 3000 mile interval or what)..
Originally Posted by Secret237

But really any filter is fine because if you change your oil at regular intervals, like ever 3000 miles or so, any filter should be fine.
Depending on how you drive your car depends on how often you'll need an oil change. With synthetic oil, you could go 7-10k with until the DIC reads 1% if your a freeway driver like myself. I don't want to risk my filter dissolving away after 3k But to each his own, if that works for you then more power to you

Quick Reply: Napa oil filter (gold)