C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different battery question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
LTVetteVert00
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different battery question?

O.K. I have read Bill Curlee's excellent piece on battterys. My AC Delco is over 4 years old and seems to be doing fine. But, I worry since the DIC keeps trying to tell me my tires are low on air when I do not have sensors in my wheels? So, for piece of mind, I plan to purchase a new battery and keep the Delco as a spare (on a trickle charger).

Question: When I remove the old battery, is there a way to keep from losing all my presets such as seats, window valet settings, other? I just replaced the battery on my Harley Ultra Classic and had to re-set clock and radio presets! I'd like to avoid this on the Vette, if possible.

LT
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My AC Delco battery is approaching 6 years of age (in a couple of months) and is still going super-strong. However, last week I left my radar detector on and something in the vicinity caused it to beep for who knows how many hours. The battery was drained, but not dead. The clock changed, but the radio presets are fine. C4 people have used a 9-volt battery that plugs into their cigarette lighter to prevent momory loss; I'm not sure if this would work in a C5, though.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default battery change

The best way I know is to slide your bike over to the left side of your car, make 10 foot long jumpers, and connect positive red jumper to the alternator battery positive, and the negative to any ground point on the engine. the two batteries will equalize in about a minute, and that's all you need to take the negative cable off of your car battery. When you connect the battery cables back up, just walk around and remove the jumpers and nothing is lost. that's how I did mine, but I took the battery out of the bike first, and covered the jumper wires with a cloth where they would rub against the paint.
The jumpers need cheap spring clip type wire clamps to clip onto the alternator and the engine and the little battery as well.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM
LTVetteVert00
Racer

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
The best way I know is to slide your bike over to the left side of your car, make 10 foot long jumpers, and connect positive red jumper to the alternator battery positive, and the negative to any ground point on the engine. the two batteries will equalize in about a minute, and that's all you need to take the negative cable off of your car battery. When you connect the battery cables back up, just walk around and remove the jumpers and nothing is lost. that's how I did mine, but I took the battery out of the bike first, and covered the jumper wires with a cloth where they would rub against the paint.
The jumpers need cheap spring clip type wire clamps to clip onto the alternator and the engine and the little battery as well.
Good idea...what worries me most is my radio. I am the third owner of this Vette and I certainly have no idea what the Theft codes are for this radio. I understand that if battery power is lost, it can screw up the radio causing you to need a code to get it to work again...I do not have that code??
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by LTVetteVert00
Good idea...what worries me most is my radio. I am the third owner of this Vette and I certainly have no idea what the Theft codes are for this radio. I understand that if battery power is lost, it can screw up the radio causing you to need a code to get it to work again...I do not have that code??
Don't give it another thought...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=164&TopicID=1

... so easy, even a ....man could do it...

GUSTO
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14

GUSTO
AIN'T THIS FORUM GREAT?

As others have said, you'll loose your clock but nothing else my experience.

Last edited by vetdude; 03-30-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
MRRAZZY2003
Intermediate

2004 coupe: My battery was out for 4 weeks - popped in a new one and the clock was the only issue. Did not lose any presets anywhere. Seats, radio were OK......
Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 PM
LTVetteVert00
Racer

Originally Posted by GUSTO14

GUSTO
Grog say 'thanks to all'...no long worried about radio or other. I do appreciate it, folks. So, it appears GM anticipated my delimma and fixed it ahead of time? Cool!

LT

Get notified of new replies

To Different battery question?

Quick Reply: Different battery question?