C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G2 Spindle Ducts vs DRM ducts

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default G2 Spindle Ducts vs DRM ducts

I am confused. The LG motorsports G2 Spindle Duct kit says it comes with red high temp hoses. So, if you get this do you still need the DRM duct kit as well? They list the DRM kit as an option for another $200.00?

In the end, I want to extend the factory brake ducts and plumb them up to the G2 spindle ducts. Can I do this with just the red hose supplied?

I want to order it today, but no one is answering, so I figured I would ask you guys here.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:01 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetter Atl
I am confused. The LG motorsports G2 Spindle Duct kit says it comes with red high temp hoses. So, if you get this do you still need the DRM duct kit as well? They list the DRM kit as an option for another $200.00?

In the end, I want to extend the factory brake ducts and plumb them up to the G2 spindle ducts. Can I do this with just the red hose supplied?

I want to order it today, but no one is answering, so I figured I would ask you guys here.
They are two separate parts. DRM hooks up to the existing ducts and brings air near the rotor, LG's are a backer plate and hose to direct the air on to and into the center of the rotor. If you are tracking your car hard you need both. however DRM is a good start!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:08 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, you need both or to buy and modify a pair of C6Z plastic ducts to extend your stock ones. DRMs are better, but the C6 ones are only like $10
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I only use the DRM ducts. The hose they provide is long enough to run right up to the back of the discs. A ss hose clamp and a couple of ties does the job and saves a lot of $.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Ok so the red hose attaches to the DRM extended ducts. Why can't you just attach it to the stock vent tip?

I ordered the Z06 ducts and the Spindle kit, I saw the other post about how they go together. It sounds like a little bit of a hak job, but I'll give it a shot before I buy the DRM ducts.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Karl_in_Chicago
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so the red hose attaches to the DRM extended ducts. Why can't you just attach it to the stock vent tip?
You can't just attach it to the stock vent tips because it's way too far of a run. I'm guessing that maybe you've never really looked real hard at those stock vents on a C5 when you've been under the front of the car. Chevy's design seems to be based upon assuming that the air is intelligent and knows that after just being randomly dumped into the lower front of the car it should instantly (on each side) head towards the brake rotors and rush across and through the vanes. Most of the air I've encountered has not been imbued with such intelligence.

The DRM ducts, by themselves, do a good job of dumping the air much, much, closer to the wheels than the Chevy stockers. Coupling them with any of the spindle duct kits helps seal the deal.

You are correct, IMO, of your assessment that it's still a rather crude arrangement but once you've tracked a car a few times with just the stock setup and observed/felt/paid for the impact of the heat you quickly become more tolerant of less than elegant designs so long as they work.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
You can't just attach it to the stock vent tips because it's way too far of a run. I'm guessing that maybe you've never really looked real hard at those stock vents on a C5 when you've been under the front of the car. Chevy's design seems to be based upon assuming that the air is intelligent and knows that after just being randomly dumped into the lower front of the car it should instantly (on each side) head towards the brake rotors and rush across and through the vanes. Most of the air I've encountered has not been imbued with such intelligence.

The DRM ducts, by themselves, do a good job of dumping the air much, much, closer to the wheels than the Chevy stockers. Coupling them with any of the spindle duct kits helps seal the deal.

You are correct, IMO, of your assessment that it's still a rather crude arrangement but once you've tracked a car a few times with just the stock setup and observed/felt/paid for the impact of the heat you quickly become more tolerant of less than elegant designs so long as they work.
I tried following a Porsche GT2 around the track a few laps and totally glazed the front pads! those big brembos are no comparison to our stockers! I figured out that you cant drive the vette like he drives the porsche. So, now I out tourque them coming out of the corners and on the straights, but they catch back up as they "wait" for me to brake at the next turn. Hopefully, I can brake deeper into the corners with cooler brakes. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

I tried following a Porsche GT2 around the track a few laps and totally glazed the front pads! those big brembos are no comparison to our stockers! I figured out that you cant drive the vette like he drives the porsche. So, now I out tourque them coming out of the corners and on the straights, but they catch back up as they "wait" for me to brake at the next turn. Hopefully, I can brake deeper into the corners with cooler brakes. Thanks.
You need to start hanging out on the autocross road race portion of this forum. (if your going to the track)
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ICaughtVetteFever
No, you need both or to buy and modify a pair of C6Z plastic ducts to extend your stock ones. DRMs are better, but the C6 ones are only like $10
I just saw them on a new Z and they are small and will not flow near as much air as DRM ducts.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I just saw them on a new Z and they are small and will not flow near as much air as DRM ducts.
John is 100 percent correct!!! Yes the GM ducts flow more air then before, but not enough to do the job correctly. If you only have 10 bucks to spend on your brakes I suggest not going to the track to out brake Porsches.

1. Fluid
2. ducts
3. pads
4. ss pistons
5. ss lines
6. If these 5 items still don't give you the edge, please call me

Randy
Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is like a garden hose. Look at a 3/4" and look at a 5/8". They look near yhe same to most people. Now go get one of each and turn them on. Then fill a barrel or pretend your house is on fire and you will see a huge difference. Area of a circle is very decieving until you figure the area and difference in the flow.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
John is 100 percent correct!!! Yes the GM ducts flow more air then before, but not enough to do the job correctly. If you only have 10 bucks to spend on your brakes I suggest not going to the track to out brake Porsches.

1. Fluid
2. ducts
3. pads
4. ss pistons
5. ss lines
6. If these 5 items still don't give you the edge, please call me

Randy
I sure hope you are right on this one. I've had everything except the SS pistons. I picked up a set over the winter, and will put them in as soon as the Vette comes out of storage. Then we will see what happens at the first HPDE this spring.

Get notified of new replies

To G2 Spindle Ducts vs DRM ducts

Quick Reply: G2 Spindle Ducts vs DRM ducts