C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap; ok to re-use stock pulley

Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 PM
kilrb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam swap; ok to re-use stock pulley

I'm going to be undertaking my head/cam swap here soon, and I have heard from some that re-using the stock pulley can be a bear, and that an under drive pulley will not only net a few more horsepower, but be easier to install. Is there any truth in this? Is the only reason to install one the added hp?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
C5 Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my stock balancer seperated itself at 100k and was rubbing against the front cover and causing the main belt to hang on for dear life. If yours has a good amount of miles on it I'd get a UD pulley. if not you're probably safe with the stock one. Also the first UD pulley I bought was off balance and we noticed after installing it so had to do that again. Make sure you go for a great brand and do it right once
Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
jordanfd
Racer

If you are going to do H/C for more power then by all means do the underdrive pulley at the same time. Why not????? You already have the old one off. Do it now are be sorry later. Frank
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jordanfd
If you are going to do H/C for more power then by all means do the underdrive pulley at the same time. Why not????? You already have the old one off. Do it now are be sorry later. Frank
Old 03-03-2007, 09:49 PM
willyfastz
Pro

If you do reuse the stocker make sure it doesn't have a grove in it were the seal fits around it.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go with the UD pulley as I did and many others did. Use a new crank bolt and red loctite.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:41 PM
2klude
Drifting

Originally Posted by jordanfd
Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Put on an Underdrive pulley, and get a ARP crank bolt and torque it to spec - do NOT reuse the original crank pulley bolt!!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

I'm just finishing up a h/c install, and I put on an ASP underdrive pulley - I was somewhat worried about getting the pulley seated and torqued to spec after reading some of the stories here on the Forum - I used the ARP crank bolt and had NO problems getting it torqued down - I think the KEY to achieving proper torque is to have a big enough ie: long handled Torque wrench - I used a 1/2 inch Snap On Torque wrench w/ about a 18 inch handle and I had NO problems!!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

I replaced mine with a new OEM pulley and front engine seal. After all the work to clear a path to change out the cam this is a simple task and well worth the $200 in parts while you are in there. I opted to run the OEM since I installed a double chain Rollmaster timing chain and they have a history of clearance issues with under drive pulleys.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
kilrb
Pro

I have about 55k miles on the Vette. I don't know if that makes it a no-brainer or not. I have about $4k tied up in the project so far, and I wasn't looking to add to it unless it was necessary. I'll definitely use an UD pulley if I don't re-use the stock one. Thanks for the responses...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you reuse the stock pulley I would strongly recommend you pin the crank. Won't cost you much to do that and adds a ton of insurance to prevent the pulley from spinning on the crank. The OE pulley has a tendency to stretch during the original install. After removing it and reinstalling; it may not grab the crank as well as the firtst time it was installed. The pin will aleviate that potential all together.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
vetred
Drifting

If after all the $$$$$$$$$$$ you spend you find yourself with enough to put the underdrive pully on ,....well...... yaaaa!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by SleeperC5
I say go with the UD pulley as I did and many others did. Use a new crank bolt and red loctite.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:02 PM
happa
Safety Car

OK Im a little worried now. Just finished my cam install 3 days ago and used the my stock pully. It was replaced about a year ago or roughly 5k miles. It being almost new what are the odds of it slippin?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by happa
OK Im a little worried now. Just finished my cam install 3 days ago and used the my stock pully. It was replaced about a year ago or roughly 5k miles. It being almost new what are the odds of it slippin?
Shouldn't if you used a new crank bolt and it stays tight. Maybe reach down there and check the bolt a few times for the first few weeks.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:17 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Probably pretty small. A couple of items to consider when reusing the pulley -

1. The 2 pieces separate and scatter across your radiator and hood, etc doing a lot of damage.
2. The front seal does not seat to teh new pulley shaft due to previous seal cutting a shallow groove and now you have an irritating oil dribble.

Really, that's about it. When I did my H/C upgrade I replaced all the hydraulic lifters, cups, sensors, pulley, gaskets, seals, sensors, water pump, oil pump, timing chain (went to Rollmaster double), hoses, etc - just about rebuilt the engine.

When you are in for about $3K for a H/C what's another $1,500 or so to make sure everything is in top condition? Beats being left in BF nowhere with no cell phone signal - like my column lock did to me in Arizona!

Time will tell but I would just enjoy the car and not worry about it for now.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam swap; ok to re-use stock pulley

Old 03-04-2007, 08:11 PM
kilrb
Pro

Originally Posted by vetred
If after all the $$$$$$$$$$$ you spend you find yourself with enough to put the underdrive pully on ,....well...... yaaaa!
It's not like I can't afford it, man... I just didn't plan on buying one if it wasn't necessary.

Last edited by kilrb; 03-04-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would change it, even it stock. They are a pain to change later and the damper will be even more important now with a cam to maintain its primary function on crankshaft harmonics. You will also likely rev higher with the new cam so another important reason. Don't use a bolt to pull it on, you will be asking for problems. You need to make a puller, very easy and will save a lot of grief.

Last edited by vettenuts; 03-05-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
kilrb
Pro

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would change it, even it stock. They are a pain to use and the damper will be even more important now with a cam to maintain its primary function on crankshaft harmonics. You will also likely rev higher with the new cam so another important reason. Don't use a bolt to pull it on, you will be asking for problems. You need to make a puller, very easy and will save a lot of grief.
I have heard a lot of talk about the brand counting as far as balance... Can you give me a reccomendation of whose pulley to buy?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam swap; ok to re-use stock pulley