C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drain

Hello:

I have a 2000 six speed.

Unfortunately, there is an annoying drain on the battery; every three days, if I don't drive the car, the battery gets run down and the car won't start.

When the ignition is off, something that should be off is still on. I had the battery tested at a couple of shops and that's what they told me.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be or how I could track it down myself before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 PM
az57chevy
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's two ways. This assumes your battery really is good. I'm sure a shop would have tried to sell you a new one if it wasn't.

#1 Hook up meter to check the readings. Pull a fuse and wait a day and see if that drain is still present. Keep on going one fuse at a time.

#2 Take good notes and pull half the fuses ! If drain still persists, replace those and pull half of the remaining half. A little faster but you need to keep good notes.

We are assuming no recent installs and a quick glance doesn't see any loose wires, humming noises or weird sounds
Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Here's a pretty good link showing how to hook up a multimeter to check the current draw. If you search the C5 tech archives for battery drain, battery discharging, battery dead, you will find many more threads on this, that may help point you in the right direction.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=Battery+drain

Last edited by Greg_E; 01-16-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Default Will Do

Thanks for the tips (pulling fuses and the link). I'll work on it this weekend and get back to you with an update.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Vette19
Instructor

Pull the negative cable off your battery.hook one end of a test light to the cable and one end to the post .If the light comes on there is a draw.Now pull a fuse...if the light goes out ,that is the curcuit,if not ,replace the fuse and try another.This is fast and accurate.Remember that any open door or hood light will cause a light ,so disable those(or just hold in the switch.) Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vette19
Pull the negative cable off your battery.hook one end of a test light to the cable and one end to the post .If the light comes on there is a draw.Now pull a fuse...if the light goes out ,that is the curcuit,if not ,replace the fuse and try another.This is fast and accurate.Remember that any open door or hood light will cause a light ,so disable those(or just hold in the switch.) Good Luck!
That will NOT work. You can NOT use a test light!! The C5 has a constant 20 milliamp drain due the the BCM and PCM needing to be powered all the time. Use the amp meter test! If your much higher than 20 milliamps you can pull fuses and relay t see where the excessive current draw is coming from. You will not be able to pull the BCM fuses cause the BCM controls everything.

BC
Old 01-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Default Test Light

I appreciate the test light idea. I'll try that first, since I'm not a mechanic and that approach seems simple enough.

I went looking for a digital multimeter today, but am not sure which brand/type to get or what the capabilities of it should be.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Default Okay

I need a suggestion on the type of multimeter to use. Please advise.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Go to radio shack, sears, and even Auto Zone or Advanced. You do not need to get fancy or expensive. You need to measure AC Volts, DC Volts, Resistance (ohms) and Current. The meter should be able read to at least 10 AMPS. You should be able to find one for around $30-$50 bucks.

Here is my meter in series reading the correct reading:

BC
Old 01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
verskel
Safety Car

When you 'park' your 6-spd......make sure it's left in 'R'-reverse gear.

Reverse shuts off any electric accessories - a C5 flaw.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Default Exactly

Thanks for the pictures.

I'm looking at the second one and want to double check the way you've got the wires/cable connected.

Here's what it looks like to me:

The negative black lead from the multimeter is connected to a green wire, which is connected to the negative battery terminal. Another green lead from that terminal is connected to the positive red wire, which leads back to the multimeter and goes into the 10A plug on the meter. Right?

Also, thanks for the heads up on leaving the car in reverse.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

To measure current (Amps) you put the meter in the circuit. The black meter lead goes to the - battery terminal. The red meter lead goes to the - battery cable. Make sure you have the meter set to DC amps, as shown in Bill's picture.

battery negative terminal> black meter lead> -or com plug on the meter> through the meter >10 amp plug on the meter> red meter lead> negative battery cable.

Last edited by Greg_E; 01-16-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Default Sounds good

Got it!

I bought a meter. Will try to post a photo of it tomorrrow.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by verskel
When you 'park' your 6-spd......make sure it's left in 'R'-reverse gear.

Reverse shuts off any electric accessories - a C5 flaw.
Where in the WORLD did you hear this?????

This is another C6 (NOT C5 ) issue. The 05 & some 06 C6 cars had this issue! C5's NEVER had this issue! It is just an un true statement! The "owners manual does state to shift the trans to reverse upon leaving the car but not to shut off electrical accessories!!!

So now Ive herd that the C5 has a DBS (dead battery syndrome) issue and now this!

If you can tell me what electric accessories it shuts off and how it does it, ill eat crow!!!

Bill C

BC
Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Okay, so it looks like I can't post the photo of my meter.

Here's the link, if you want to have a look at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Inn.../dp/B000EVYGZA

The meter should work.

What about the green connecting wires shown in Bill Curlee's pictures. Would any wire do, or is there a specific gauge?

Last edited by Uptospeed; 01-17-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Where in the WORLD did you hear this?????

This is another C6 (NOT C5 ) issue. The 05 & some 06 C6 cars had this issue! C5's NEVER had this issue! It is just an un true statement! The "owners manual does state to shift the trans to reverse upon leaving the car but not to shut off electrical accessories!!!

So now Ive herd that the C5 has a DBS (dead battery syndrome) issue and now this!

If you can tell me what electric accessories it shuts off and how it does it, ill eat crow!!!

Bill C

BC
Last time I checked our T-56's didn't have a gear selection switch. Looks like you put him straight.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Uptospeed
Okay, so it looks like I can't post the photo of my meter.

Here's the link, if you want to have a look at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Inn.../dp/B000EVYGZA

The meter should work.

What about the green connecting wires shown in Bill Curlee's pictures. Would any wire do, or is there a specific gauge?
Any decent size stranded wire will do. Thats just some wire I had hanging around! The meter looks fine!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Drain

Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Uptospeed
Advanced

Default Easy enough

I bought some wire today, but it is not stranded. It's easy enough for me to pick up some stranded wire tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It dosent matter much what type of wire as long as it not something like phone or bell wire! Current needs wire diameter to flow properly. If you try to shove too many electrons too rapidly through a very small wire it will heat up and effect the device operation. Your only working with 7-8 amps for a breif period of time.

BC
Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default listen to Bill Curlee

My 2000 had this problem, it ended up being a problem with the instrument cluster panel going bad..... that was the constant drain. I went through the battery and alternator tests and it wasn't either. After doing the meter test that Bill had suggested I figured out it was the cluster... got that fixed and now no more problems. Test the Battery and alternator.... then clean grounds.... then perform the meter test on the battery.... read the codes fromm the DIC and then post here and we'll all figure it out! Good luck... and keep us posted.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Drain