C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAd Multifunction Switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
flyhiby
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAd Multifunction Switch ?

I guess from what I'm hearing is if my rear running lights and dash lights arent working and i've checked all fuses , bulbs that by changing the multifuction switch it should eliminate my problem. Do you have to remove the steering wheel to replace the switch? What about just cleaning the contacts as a 1st step, does is come apart by pulling on it? If i break it then that solves that, REPLACE the switch anyway... My wife is driving me crazy, can't drive at night and keeps taking my truck.........ANY IDEAS ?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
jrwalker2
Heel & Toe

I had the same problem on my 03 vert. It was the multifunction switch. You can still run at night by using the twilight sentinel if you have that option. Everything will work fine in that mode. I had an extended warranty so I dont no the best way to change it. Although if you do a search there is a thread on changing it without pulling the steering wheel. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 AM
ICUALL
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Instructions

I didn't write these someone else on the forum did, however I followed them to replace mine. The torex screw is a bit** but if you work at it and use the correct torex bit and a rachett wrench it will come out. This is worth the effort to keep from removing the steering whell !

1. remove the two screw on the knee pad under (Torx head screw).
2. use a thin screw driver to lift the small panel out around the trunk release switch and disconnect the switch connector..remove the screw behind the trunk release switch panel.
3. lift the small (vent looking) panel next to the ignition switch and remove the screw behind it.
4. Pull the knee pad panel out...there is a couple of spring load clips (friction fastener) holding the panel in on the left side of the panel.

5. Remove the two torx head screw under the the cover for the steering column just below the steering wheel.

6. Split the top and bottom section of this cover and remove the bottom cover. (Top and bottom covers at jointed at the base with small hooks on each side). The top cover would not be removable yet.

7. Remove the two Torx screws (silver in color...this is extended out verse the indentation you have on normal screw head...if you don't have a socket for torx, try using a small hex socket) from underneath...they hold the top half of the cover. Then remove the top cover.

8. Remove one top screw on the top part of the steering holding the turn signal switch. The second one faces you on your lower left when you are sitting in the car...try turning the steering wheel to the left so the flat part of the airbag is on the left for easier access. THIS SCREW IS KIND OF TRICKY...DON't STRIP THE TORX HEAD!!! I didn't have the right tool so I use a Torx head socket and use a slip joint plier to turn it slowly....I think it is best if you have a torx head that is the right size (25) that fits into one of those multifunction screw driver head is best then you can use an rachett box wrench or an open wrench to turn it. Loosing this is remove all the way by fingers (this is the most time consuming part). Replace switch by attaching the two screws back then swap the two connectors with the old/bad switch....

9. Reinstall the rest in reverse order....If you have the right tool for the last torx screw...you should be able to do this in less than 30 minutes.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:16 PM
sugarwolf
Pro

Check to make sure the wiring harness in the back by the exhaust is not melting against the exhuast pipe on passenger side above the differential. I had the same issue and i found it melted against the exhaust pipe.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:38 PM
flyhiby
Cruising

Thanks for all your help regarding my problems, I'm going to start at replacing the multifunction switch.It seems to pretty straight forward to replace.I'll let you know what happens...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
aserdikoff
3rd Gear

Default Many Thanks

Many thanks to all. I did see these instructions but they seem to be for an older model.

I guess I will give it a try I will also check the wiring harness First

Again Thanks to all
Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM
luckyirishguy
Burning Brakes

Any1 know where to get the best deal on this switch... I found it for 120$ on gm parts direct

Get notified of new replies

To BAd Multifunction Switch ?

Quick Reply: BAd Multifunction Switch ?