C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
RW Foster
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Fixed the display in my '04 Z06 yesterday!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

Fixed my 2000FRC display a couple days back - excellent!!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

Just did my 02 Vert. Man, it's bright!
Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Dads C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this thread. Fixed mine yesterday with a $10 soldering iron purchased at Walmart.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 AM
MagRedGeoff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. Fixed my 2000 convertible last week and the display is back to bright. Tools required were: 1/4" wide flat screwdriver, standard Craftsman metric sockets, torx head screwdriver and 25Watt Weller soldering kit purchased on Amazon for less that $20. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to thank the OP for this thread. I fixed my display on my 03 Z last night. This has been an active thread for several years. Why isn't it a sticky? I also replaced 4 light bulbs while I had it apart. Those little chips are a lot smaller in person than they are in the photo's. I was a little intimidated when I found them but I figured what the heck it doesn't work now so I can't make it any worse. I was really thrilled when I got it all done and plugged it in and it worked.

Thank you Corvette Forum and the people that take the time to post these threads with pictures.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:07 PM
nozrydr1
6th Gear

Default Dim Climate control

Originally Posted by Genocid
First and foremost, this is not my fix! I spent a while searching multiple forums on info on how to do this, and found it all in several places. All I'm doing is collecting the info I found to put it in one step by step place with minor footnotes of my own. I will list names and URL's to each area I found the info from, and if anyone would like their info removed I will gladly do so!

Just trying to save the next poor guy some time for looking all over and following all the various links from everywhere

Hope this helps!

For the first steps, find pictures and more detailed instructions where I did, at http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

Their list of tools is for a bigger job, you wont need all of the ones listed, you'll need others for actually fixing the control unit, and you only need to go to step 3g, no further for this section!

***If you have a convertible with the body colored "waterfall" you will have to remove it first. If not, skip this step. 4 screws total, size 15 torx screws, two on the top, one on each side towards the bottom. Just gently pull up to remove it.

Remove the console - Gently remove the Active Handling trim plate and wiring connections beneath it and to the console. Remove the 4 10mm nuts. Pick up only the back of the console to get it over the rear bolts, then slide it towards the back to get it out from the front bolts. The front is slotted to slide all the way out.

Remove the instrument trim panel - Gently pry out the trim panel to the left of the ignition switch, and remove the ashtray. Remove the 3 #15 torx screws. GENTLY pull the panel only a little ways! Back towards the top, and up at the bottom/back where 2 of the 10mm nuts were removed from the front of the console area (behind the shifter). Remove the cigarette lighter power. ***If it's a 6spd, remove the boot carefully, I pulled mine up, but this site says you can push it down also*** Once you've verified everything is free, carefully pull it out and set it safely aside.

Again, I highly recommend going to the following site http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html for pictures and a more detailed step by step instructions for the above steps.

The following steps are not found at the above URL.

Now you have a clear shot to your Climate Control unit! There are only 2 screws holding it in place. I'm sorry I didn’t get the size of them, but they're easily accessible to test a few sockets to find the perfect match Remove the screws, pull the unit out a little way, and remove the connector in the back. Pay attention to the connector, there's an area you have to press to release the clip to be able to pull it out.

Now that you have the unit out, take it to a safe place, preferably the clean worktable you will be finishing the work on it

Carefully remove the 4 screws on the corners holding it together. They are small, and have very coarse threads, so use a hand screwdriver style tool preferably, NOT a drill, if you only have a ratchet set, just be very careful not to over tighten it when you're done!

The following was ninja'ed from RPOZ4Z at Corvette Forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1316227&page=2 on page 2 post # 24. Thank you VERY much RPOZ4Z for putting words to sight so I knew what the hell to solder!!!

There is a 2nd variation of this board, which is the one I found in my 01 convertible. Thank you EnglandGreen for posting the other kind of board as seen below! http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1316227&page=3 Same thread, page 3 post #50

On both boards, it's very easy to unplug the power board from the front of the unit to work on it. And on either board, what you're looking for is those little black guys with "241" printed on them. I used a Cold Heat soldering gun I got from Radio shack an hour or two earlier in my then together car The tip it came with was not ideal, but it finally got the job done!

I tried to see which seemed loose and only solder those few. Don’t bother trying, either you wont be able to tell, or you'll break them off looking for the loose ones. I fixed the 2 obvious ones, and went out to the car to try it, but only got a very dim light. When I went back and soldered more they were practically ALL broken on one side

Be careful to try and hold them in place so they don’t move if you happen to solder the good end first. I had one come completely off the board, and it was very hard to get it back on. I eventually wound up putting solder on the contacts on the board first, then putting the chip back on and soldering, it was a pain. I just rested the back of a tiny jeweler’s screwdriver on them to keep them in place, it doesn’t take much.

When you finally have them all done on both sides, carefully put the unit back together. Be sure to line up the pins on the back cover, and be careful with the small coarse threaded screws. I put them in the hole, turned them backwards until I felt where the thread was and then gently screwed them in until tight. You do not want to torque them at all, it will be obvious when they're tight and you're against the circuit board. Same with the screws that hold the casing together.

Now before you put everything back together in your car, make sure you turn the ignition on to make sure it lights up! You don’t need to start the car, just put it in the on position. Assuming everything works, CONGRATULATIONS! Follow the steps in reverse order to put everything back together, reconnect all the electrical items, and make sure not to strip or over tighten anything. One thing I did notice is the screw behind the ashtray seems loose when you're putting it back together at first. It's just the nature of the clip. Once the dash is in position and you snug it up it will get tight.

Now that I know what I'm doing, it really is a quick job! If you read up and study the pictures first, it should go pretty smoothly long as you or someone you know can solder ok

Cordless Coldheat Soldering gun - $19.99
4 pack AA batteries - $3.99
.022 dia High Tech Rosin Core Solder - $3.99

Saving $500 and a day spent at the dealership with no car - priceless!

-ALSO!!! If you DONT want to risk soldering it yourself, try a local reputable electronics expert. Long as you can show him what's broke he can probably fix it. Or if you have time to wait for mail have an expert do it for you!!! I don’t know this person at all, I just found the following in my search!

From member rws.1 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=David+Ruberg post #2

and from member widewheel http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=David+Ruberg post #3

I personally needed the soldering equipment to fix a headset as well, and plan to use it in the future so for me it was worth it. But if you're concerned, don’t have the equipment, $45-$50 to have someone do it and warranty it vs. $28 in equipment sounds like a pretty darn good deal!!! Looks like he gets rave reviews to boot!

MUCH thanks to everyone that did the legwork everywhere to get all this great info out there, I hope this makes it easier to find and read through all the various steps!
followed your directions, took only about 30 mins. worked great, Thanks for the information.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Corvette43ej
1st Gear

Certainly makes a difference. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 PM
djohnson1998
1st Gear

Default Great Information

I used this thread to fix my display... cost me $13 for the low watt pinpoint soldering iron. Worked great and I am thrilled. Bought my 98 several years ago and now I think, based on what I see now, that my display was dying when I bought my car! It was very dim at the time. Now... no comparison! Thanks for a great post!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 AM
johnjupin
Cruising

Default Great instructions

Originally Posted by Genocid
First and foremost, this is not my fix! I spent a while searching multiple forums on info on how to do this, and found it all in several places. All I'm doing is collecting the info I found to put it in one step by step place with minor footnotes of my own. I will list names and URL's to each area I found the info from, and if anyone would like their info removed I will gladly do so!

Just trying to save the next poor guy some time for looking all over and following all the various links from everywhere

Hope this helps!

For the first steps, find pictures and more detailed instructions where I did, at http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

Their list of tools is for a bigger job, you wont need all of the ones listed, you'll need others for actually fixing the control unit, and you only need to go to step 3g, no further for this section!

***If you have a convertible with the body colored "waterfall" you will have to remove it first. If not, skip this step. 4 screws total, size 15 torx screws, two on the top, one on each side towards the bottom. Just gently pull up to remove it.

Remove the console - Gently remove the Active Handling trim plate and wiring connections beneath it and to the console. Remove the 4 10mm nuts. Pick up only the back of the console to get it over the rear bolts, then slide it towards the back to get it out from the front bolts. The front is slotted to slide all the way out.

Remove the instrument trim panel - Gently pry out the trim panel to the left of the ignition switch, and remove the ashtray. Remove the 3 #15 torx screws. GENTLY pull the panel only a little ways! Back towards the top, and up at the bottom/back where 2 of the 10mm nuts were removed from the front of the console area (behind the shifter). Remove the cigarette lighter power. ***If it's a 6spd, remove the boot carefully, I pulled mine up, but this site says you can push it down also*** Once you've verified everything is free, carefully pull it out and set it safely aside.

Again, I highly recommend going to the following site http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html for pictures and a more detailed step by step instructions for the above steps.

The following steps are not found at the above URL.

Now you have a clear shot to your Climate Control unit! There are only 2 screws holding it in place. I'm sorry I didn’t get the size of them, but they're easily accessible to test a few sockets to find the perfect match Remove the screws, pull the unit out a little way, and remove the connector in the back. Pay attention to the connector, there's an area you have to press to release the clip to be able to pull it out.

Now that you have the unit out, take it to a safe place, preferably the clean worktable you will be finishing the work on it

Carefully remove the 4 screws on the corners holding it together. They are small, and have very coarse threads, so use a hand screwdriver style tool preferably, NOT a drill, if you only have a ratchet set, just be very careful not to over tighten it when you're done!

The following was ninja'ed from RPOZ4Z at Corvette Forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1316227&page=2 on page 2 post # 24. Thank you VERY much RPOZ4Z for putting words to sight so I knew what the hell to solder!!!

There is a 2nd variation of this board, which is the one I found in my 01 convertible. Thank you EnglandGreen for posting the other kind of board as seen below! http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1316227&page=3 Same thread, page 3 post #50

On both boards, it's very easy to unplug the power board from the front of the unit to work on it. And on either board, what you're looking for is those little black guys with "241" printed on them. I used a Cold Heat soldering gun I got from Radio shack an hour or two earlier in my then together car The tip it came with was not ideal, but it finally got the job done!

I tried to see which seemed loose and only solder those few. Don’t bother trying, either you wont be able to tell, or you'll break them off looking for the loose ones. I fixed the 2 obvious ones, and went out to the car to try it, but only got a very dim light. When I went back and soldered more they were practically ALL broken on one side

Be careful to try and hold them in place so they don’t move if you happen to solder the good end first. I had one come completely off the board, and it was very hard to get it back on. I eventually wound up putting solder on the contacts on the board first, then putting the chip back on and soldering, it was a pain. I just rested the back of a tiny jeweler’s screwdriver on them to keep them in place, it doesn’t take much.

When you finally have them all done on both sides, carefully put the unit back together. Be sure to line up the pins on the back cover, and be careful with the small coarse threaded screws. I put them in the hole, turned them backwards until I felt where the thread was and then gently screwed them in until tight. You do not want to torque them at all, it will be obvious when they're tight and you're against the circuit board. Same with the screws that hold the casing together.

Now before you put everything back together in your car, make sure you turn the ignition on to make sure it lights up! You don’t need to start the car, just put it in the on position. Assuming everything works, CONGRATULATIONS! Follow the steps in reverse order to put everything back together, reconnect all the electrical items, and make sure not to strip or over tighten anything. One thing I did notice is the screw behind the ashtray seems loose when you're putting it back together at first. It's just the nature of the clip. Once the dash is in position and you snug it up it will get tight.

Now that I know what I'm doing, it really is a quick job! If you read up and study the pictures first, it should go pretty smoothly long as you or someone you know can solder ok

Cordless Coldheat Soldering gun - $19.99
4 pack AA batteries - $3.99
.022 dia High Tech Rosin Core Solder - $3.99

Saving $500 and a day spent at the dealership with no car - priceless!

-ALSO!!! If you DONT want to risk soldering it yourself, try a local reputable electronics expert. Long as you can show him what's broke he can probably fix it. Or if you have time to wait for mail have an expert do it for you!!! I don’t know this person at all, I just found the following in my search!

From member rws.1 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=David+Ruberg post #2

and from member widewheel http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=David+Ruberg post #3

I personally needed the soldering equipment to fix a headset as well, and plan to use it in the future so for me it was worth it. But if you're concerned, don’t have the equipment, $45-$50 to have someone do it and warranty it vs. $28 in equipment sounds like a pretty darn good deal!!! Looks like he gets rave reviews to boot!

MUCH thanks to everyone that did the legwork everywhere to get all this great info out there, I hope this makes it easier to find and read through all the various steps!

I resoldered my 2002 C5 heater control flat resistors if that's wheat they are and will replace all 14 back light 12v incandescent bulbs with 35mA bulbs instead of the suggested 70mA values due to local availability and 1/2 the cost. In any case, the display now lights up bright. Has anyone noticed how hot the flat resistors get when you touch them? I would imagine that tis heat would be the issue where the solder gets warm and the connections open up slightly to give the dim display. Anyway great fix suggestions to all involved
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 PM
djkwiz13
3rd Gear

Default This method worked!!!!!

Originally Posted by 98droptop
Great fix, worked for me. Sticky time
Took me about an hour to complete! Just be very careful when soldering because the 241's will move out of place. The screws on the cover of the unit are 9/32" and the dash screws are I believe 5/16"...try to use magnetic tools so that you don't lose any screws! Thanks again for the post and good luck to whoever attempts this repair! !!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 AM
awara1
Navigator

Default Can someone please give me a hand with mine?

Hello,

I recently purchased my 02 Corvette Z06 and having the same issue. I live in Schaumburg IL. Can someone please assist me in fixing this issue? If so please send me a private message. I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thanks
SAM
Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Jimnplano
1st Gear

Thanks for the great advice, instructions and photos. I did this just yesterday on my 01 vert. Including the 30 minute Youtube soldering tutorial, this whole project took me about 2 hours. I have the EnglandGreen version of the board. And those pesky little resistors are mighty small, but with patient and those instruction beside me on my IPad, it was a walk in the park. Bright lights again!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 PM
gtw777
3rd Gear

Thanx worked like a charm
Old 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
my02cents
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, thanks to the OP and all those involved that were linked and had information to add.

Originally Posted by djkwiz13
Took me about an hour to complete! Just be very careful when soldering because the 241's will move out of place. The screws on the cover of the unit are 9/32" and the dash screws are I believe 5/16"...try to use magnetic tools so that you don't lose any screws! Thanks again for the post and good luck to whoever attempts this repair! !!
Thanks for the socket sizes, I ended up using a 5mm instead of the 9/32" before I saw this. The 5mm worked also, but was a tad too large.

It's nice to see my HVAC display again, I haven't seen it in over a year.

Edit: Minus the trip to get the 5mm, this took maybe 45 minutes. Very straightforward and easy. If I did it again it would be 15 min faster, would of been a lot longer without all the great information here.

Last edited by my02cents; 08-12-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

All those screws are metric!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM
djkwiz13
3rd Gear

Default You are welcome !!

Originally Posted by my02cents
first off, thanks to the op and all those involved that were linked and had information to add.

Thanks for the socket sizes, i ended up using a 5mm instead of the 9/32" before i saw this. The 5mm worked also, but was a tad too large.

It's nice to see my hvac display again, i haven't seen it in over a year. :d

Edit: Minus the trip to get the 5mm, this took maybe 45 minutes. Very straightforward and easy. If i did it again it would be 15 min faster, would of been a lot longer without all the great information here.
enjoy your vette!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Rosborn88
Intermediate

Default Thank you!

Just wanted to take a quick moment to say thanks! Did this repair today while putting in a C6 shifter. Great instructions and def as simple as promised. I've never used a soldering iron before, so anyone wondering if this may be worth the 40 or so bucks to sent out for repair, know that these instructions really are perfect for a beginner to fix it them selves. And hey, I'm very proud of my self! Thanks for putting this thread together and giving credit to all who contributed! No more guessing what my thermostat is set to.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Does anyone know what country these components are made in?

Does anyone know of a supplier that makes these components other than GM?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:47 PM
twofast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worked for me, Thanks.

Quick Reply: C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix