C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Kumho Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:09 AM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Which Kumho Tires???

Trying to decide between Kumho ECSTA MX's, XRP's or ASX's. To be used for normal and spirited driving - no racing. Would like the Quietest one of the three (???) or the runflats if they are pretty quiet. I know the ASX's have the best treadwear but that is not the most important factor (quiet is). Want to be able to corner well in most conditions too.

Can anyone offer their experience between 2 or 3 models above??
Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the ASX and the MX

MX is a high performance summer tire. Sticks like glue in warm weather and is fine as long as you don't have to drive in the snow or extremely cold weather

The ASX is an all-season tire - it's okay in the summer, okay in the winter and should be able to handle light now, but not really great at anything. Jack of all trades, master of none.

honestly I didn't care for the ASXs. I was very disapointed with their wet weather performance. Compaired to the MXs they hydroplaned a lot easier which was no fun.

I'm on my second set of MXs and drove the last set down to the cords. When it's time for new tires, I'll by them again (I've hear rumors of a 315/30-18 which would be very nice for my Z06 motorsports). I wouldn't buy the ASXs again.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Barney Rumble
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tsts
Trying to decide between Kumho ECSTA MX's, XRP's or ASX's. To be used for normal and spirited driving - no racing. Would like the Quietest one of the three (???) or the runflats if they are pretty quiet. I know the ASX's have the best treadwear but that is not the most important factor (quiet is). Want to be able to corner well in most conditions too.

Can anyone offer their experience between 2 or 3 models above??
Which are the runflats?
I'm due to replace my OEM rumblers and have only read good things here about the Kumho's

Last edited by Barney Rumble; 12-22-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 AM
stampede3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run the MX on my Cobra for open tracking and street. As said before, great summer tire.
Would run them again.
Great tire for the price.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 AM
tsts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I've had the ASX and the MX

MX is a high performance summer tire. Sticks like glue in warm weather and is fine as long as you don't have to drive in the snow or extremely cold weather

The ASX is an all-season tire - it's okay in the summer, okay in the winter and should be able to handle light now, but not really great at anything. Jack of all trades, master of none.

honestly I didn't care for the ASXs. I was very disapointed with their wet weather performance. Compaired to the MXs they hydroplaned a lot easier which was no fun.

I'm on my second set of MXs and drove the last set down to the cords. When it's time for new tires, I'll by them again (I've hear rumors of a 315/30-18 which would be very nice for my Z06 motorsports). I wouldn't buy the ASXs again.
We're the MX's quiet for road noise?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:04 AM
tsts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barney Rumble
Which are the runflats?
I'm due to replace my OEM rumblers and have only read good things here about the Kumho's
The XRP's are the runflats
Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

probably not the quietest tire out there, but much better than the OEM or Yokohama runflats I tried before
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 AM
TSDuke
Pro

MX, hands down.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Architect
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The MX was a great tire but I only got about 7000 miles on a LS1 SS. And I'm by no means an aggressive driver. In fact, most of those were highway miles.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I put the MXs on mine. They are quieter than the runflats that were on there and they are a lot smoother. I put Z06 swaybars on it a couple of months ago and wasn't real happy about how much it affected the ride quality, even with the F-45 on touring mode. Putting the non run flats on there just about brought the ride quality back to what it was before the swaybar change.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
corvettedoug
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the ASXs on mine and have been happy with the road noise compared to the Goodyear Runflats that were on there before. The handling is sufficient for everyday driving and some spirited driving. I have not pushed the car to the limits in wet weather, but have not had a problem with normal driving in wet weather.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Mx!!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:34 AM
stngh8r
Pro

Report for: Kumho ASX

Long story short, I have gotten many miles from these tires (+30k miles, including 25-30ish drag strip prep burnouts and 1 or 2 showing out on the street super duper burnouts) and was blessed with an amazing 1.94 60ft last weekend with only a mild 'prep' burnout. For a M6 w/a stage 4 clutch, I dont think that is too bad. I think they hook up pretty good considering the treadwear rating. I have never had a hydroplaning problem, but then again, I am very careful and generally drive slow in the rain.

I am looking for more performance and grip, so I am thinking of going to the MXs on the rear, but I have heard that they are not expected to last even half as long as the ASXs.

Noise is not an issue to me, but my friend commented that he thought his were loud compared to the Supercars that came on his Zoh.

Eric

Last edited by stngh8r; 12-22-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: delete text
Old 12-22-2006, 11:56 AM
jellyjam
Advanced

Love my ASX's no hydroplaning for me and much quieter than my goodyear run flats. Would buy them again.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

I had ASXs for a few months, I was not satisfied with it. I should had gone with the MX's since the C5 does not see wet weather.

I have Avon Tyres now from Tirerack. They grip hard, esp when warmed up. It's new so I have no long term reviews for it yet.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
jawski
Burning Brakes

I just purchased the SPT's for the rear set. They are much quieter than the michelins due to the circumferential tread pattern. I went with 275's but should have gotten 295's.They don't grip well in cool weather, but they are quiet.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Kal-El
Instructor

MX. I am on my 3rd set.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Kumho Tires???

Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
stngh8r
Pro

Originally Posted by Kal-El
MX. I am on my 3rd set.

what kinda mileage are you getting from a set?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

let me explain my hydroplane comment a little further.

I was in Germany when I had the ASXs Typically on a fresh set of MX tires (275/35-18/295/35-18) I would start to have problems on at wet autobahn at ~130mph. When I put the ASXs (245/45-17/275/40-18) on I couldn't break 90mph in similar conditions. No one in there right mind would be going that fast in the rain (I've never been accused of being normal) but there was a significant difference that i thought it was worth mentioning, even though the MXs were wider and in theory should be worse on wet roads.

How this would apply to normal people: the MXs can move more water out of the way so on wet roads you have a greater margin of safety at normal speeds and if you hit a large patch of standing water on a poorly maintained road, you're less likely to hydroplane.

Also, All the pictures from my old sig MXs on the Nurburgring
Old 12-22-2006, 09:10 PM
tsts
Drifting

After reading the above comments it seems the MX is the most popular choice for overall performance but with poor tread wear compared to other Kumho's. Not to much comparison with the others for tire noise except lots of mention about the improvement ovey GY runflats (no surprise there). Hydroplanning information is there (above), thanks. Noise between Kumho Runflats and MX's hasn't been expressed; I assume other vette owners haven't had the experience with these two tire models to offer an opinion. Its a shame the ASX's don't perform better because it appears to be a quiet tire. Thanks for all the information offered, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Which Kumho Tires???