C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 04:54 PM
Just4Grins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels

I have factory mag wheels on my 2001 DBGM C5 coupe and have read multiple threads about mag wheels damaged/scratched while fixing flats/replacing tires. These are a painted surface over a relatively soft material. Are there special precautions/tools/set-up required to avoid damaging these admittedly delicate rim surfaces?(I could envision a plastic guard used after the bead is broken) Eventually I will need to have this done, don't trust the local Chevy dealerships at all, and would like to know what to look for to see if the people who are going to do the work know how to do this without dinging up the wheels. Any advice on what to look for?
Old 09-27-2001, 05:10 PM
Walt Boeninger
Instructor

Default Re: Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels (Just4Grins)

If you go to a reputable tire wheel dealer, like Goodyear, who has the proper, used to called, European tire machine, it should not be a problem.

The modern machines, when used properly, never touch the outside part of the wheel. Not like the old days of tire irons on steel wheels...
Old 09-27-2001, 05:15 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Default Re: Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels (Just4Grins)

The problem is not that the surface of magnesium is soft, it is that the surface is easy to corode (self corroding). Unlike Aluminum, Magnesium attracts water like a sponge right out of the air and immediately corrodes. So you have to prevent breaks in the painted clear coat, or you have to reseal with new paint before corosion has gone more than a few molecules into the magnesium.

What to do:
1) inform the tire changer yourself (not throuhg his manager) that the magnesium wheels are a) expensive, b) unblemished (before he starts), c) that he will be held responsible (for blemishing thes wheels).
2) watch as the tires are removed from the car, and observe that there are no blemishes or corosive areas on the wheel before he starts. If there are--use clear nail polish as short term protection. You may want to fully detail the wheels before the tire change to a) fix any current damage, b) be able to verify that tire changer caused damage or did not cause damage.
3) the tire changer should be using equiptment with a hard rubber or urethane surface that wont damage the paint. Have the tire broken off the bead by the press not by the gouge-it-around tool. He should have to break the bead in at least 4 places with the press to be able to avoid using the gouge tool. Watch him like a hawk.
4) remove tire without using the rim as a leverge point.
5) install tire without using rim as leverage point.
6) watch that he doesn't damage the paint on the inner surface where the tire ballancing knock-off is thightened.
7) check tire completely after ballancing for paint damage. Short term touchup can be done with clear nail polish to avoid corrosion. Touchup any paint blemishes--even if he did not cause them--its your wheels.
8) watch as he uses a torque wrench to tighten wheels back on axel.

Key words: cooperate and watch.

Expect to pay an additional fee per wheel for this monitoring.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:03 AM
Just4Grins
Instructor

Default Re: Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels (MitchAlsup)

Thanks for the advice. At least I know what to look for when the inevitable happens. No scratches on the wheels yet. I have the paint codes and plan to get some touch-up paint in advance.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM
MorpheusGPR
Burning Brakes

I had mine powdercoated and tires are being installed tomorrow so I can run them on my car. With them now being powdercoated will this help with any of these issues since its a bit harder material? I imagine I will have the nitrogen put into the tires or should I just go with air?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MorpheusGPR
I had mine powdercoated and tires are being installed tomorrow so I can run them on my car. With them now being powdercoated will this help with any of these issues since its a bit harder material? I imagine I will have the nitrogen put into the tires or should I just go with air?
nitrogen=snake oil...

Get notified of new replies

To Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels

Quick Reply: Required process for R & R'ing Tires on mag wheels