C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Top - Snapping noise

Old 09-27-2001, 03:33 PM
C4Bud
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Targa Top - Snapping noise

My 2K with 9K miles has just developed a loud noise, like a tapping or snapping, delivered in the plexi top when any irregularities or bumps in the road are encountered. It sounds like it may come from the front weatherstrip area but feeling about I can't detect any accompanying vibration or movement. Loosening either top latch eliminates the tension, and the noise immediately stops, but this is obviously not a solution. Removing the roof panel eliminates any trace of noise. This is not a noise the Bose can overcome. Has anyone been there and found a cause/solution?

[Modified by C4Bud, 1:35 PM 9/27/2001]

[Modified by C4Bud, 1:36 PM 9/27/2001]
Old 09-27-2001, 04:22 PM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (C4Bud)

I have the exact same problem. I originally thought that maybe it was the weatherstripping (but kind of doubted it given how loud the noise was). None the less, I put silicone on all of the weatherstipiing to see if it would help at all. It didn't. I have heard that someone on the Forum put a business card between the latch plate and the latch and that this helped eliminate his squeek (not sure if he was having the same noise that we are though). I haven't tried this yet. I was thinking of doing the same thing but using the softer, fabric side of some 3M stick on velcro strips instead of the business card. I got the idea from my father-in-law's 2001 vert. It came with the one sided velcro installed from the factory. I don't know why the coupes don't come with it like the verts do :confused: . I haven't gotten time to try it yet. If someone has already done this or something similar, I would like to know if it worked.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:35 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (Yellow 01 Coupe)

Were the soft-half-of-a-velcro-strip stuck to the piece attached to the frame, or the piece attached to the top? I have exactly this problem and have never found a fix (other than replacing the top).
Old 09-27-2001, 04:44 PM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (Scissors)

The velcro was attached to the latch plate on the top of the windshield. It is a silver metal surface. The velcro was stuck to it (obviously with the fuzzy side facing toward the sky). Have you actually had your top replaced? Was ir covered under warranty? Was there something loose inside the top, like inside the plastic mouldings around it? I am just curious why one top would make the noise but the other wouldn't (this seems to imply the problem is in the top itself) unless the new top starts to make the noise later, after it gets broken in and loosens up a little to allow for some relative motion between the top and the latch plate.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:59 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

I've had this problem for the last two months or so and it drives me so crazy that I actually don't drive the car as much. I have tried everything...tightening this and that, lubricating this or that, and have not found a fix. I need help too!!!!! :cry
Old 09-27-2001, 10:06 PM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (RichieRich)

One other thing I tried that did not work was tightening the 10mm bolts at the top of the windshield behind the trim. The bolts were definately not very tight, but even after tightening, it didn't help the noise at all. I thought about looking at the pins at the rear of the roof panel to make sure they are tight and line up properly with the holes in the roof bow. I haven't had much time to play around with this problem, as my new daughter is keeping us pretty busy.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:14 PM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Guys, like yourself's, I have tried the business card in between the latch halfs and that seemed to work for awhile and then the "creaking" sound returned. Tried some rubber weather stripping material and that seemed to work, but then the top leaked at the corners. Will try the velcro approach and see if that works. My dealer said the latch assemblies need to be replaced and that is not covered under the extended factory warranty. I then checked on the price of the latch assemblies thinking I would replace them myself and nearly fell over when they quoted me a price...seem to remember $145. ea. side!
Will try the velcro and let you all know the result. Later....

Joe
Old 09-27-2001, 10:16 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too am having the same problem. Almost like someone is tapping the top with a coin. I took it to the dealer and they said they fixed and it actually was quiet for about 2 weeks then it started again. When I took it in, the sound was coming from the latch area directly above my head and has now moved to the center of the top between the latches.

Holding my hand there I feel no discernable movement or anything even when I hear the sound. I checked the latches and they are tight. Loosening the latches also solves my problem. Obviously there is a part of the top that is striking the windshield header, but I can't find it.

Hope someone can find this solution. It is driving me crazy! :sad:
Old 09-27-2001, 10:46 PM
THamilton
Racer

C4Bud et al,

I had the same problem on my '99 Coupe. I could make it stop while driving by pushing skyward near the center of the top. Obviously this was very temporary but it helped me figure out where the noise came from and how to deal with it.

I fixed it myself by tightening the J-hook at the rear latch and by applying a light film of grease on the latching portion of the J-hook.

Hopefully this will help you out.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:20 AM
LovintheC5
Racer

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (THamilton)

Mine had the same problem when i bought it (99 coupe, bought 1.5 mos ago). I applied some Liquid Wrench to it (about 3 bucks a can, spray on lubricant) And to my surprise, NO MORE NOISE. Just spread on thick, and it works like a charm. I use it on all my seals now, and stops the creaking noises all over the car..

Daren

Old 09-28-2001, 08:20 AM
br
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (LovintheC5)

Lube 1 from (I think) the Slick 50 folks works good on squeaky parts. I would not tighten the latches too much, how about loosening them? If you tighten the top and the window regulator upstop is still adjusted for the previous top height, would you not create alot of pressure on the outside edges of the top while pulling hard on the center? Does it make the noise when the windows are down?
Old 09-28-2001, 08:57 AM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (br)

Yes, it still makes the noise with the windows down. :(
Old 09-28-2001, 11:42 AM
Robiwan
Instructor

My .02; I have lubed, put in the business card, tightened every nut, bolt and screw to fix this-the clicking came back within a 100 miles. What has worked now for the last 1000 miles was to lower the latch plates attached to the top of the windshield frame about 1/16". This causes more latching force, but got rid of the clicking for me. I don't know if this will help everybody or not.
Good luck, Robi
Old 09-28-2001, 12:43 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (Robiwan)

Robi,

My car is at home now and I'm at work (shhhh) so I can't go take a look at it, but how do you lower the latch plates?
Old 09-28-2001, 08:18 PM
Robiwan
Instructor

Loosen the two 10mm bolts that hold the latches, not loose but snug and lightly tap the latch down. When I did it, it moved about 1/16" down. Tighten and if the latch moved down, when you swing the latch handle to lock the top in place, it will be harder. I don't know how far you can go, but I wouldn't drill the mounting holes to get more latch force. Hope this helps!
Robi
Old 09-29-2001, 04:18 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Ok, I've been working on this little by little for the last day and have made progress, but I'm not quite there yet. Robi's tip (tapping down the plates) defiinitely made a big improvement. I've isolated my problem to the right-side latch. I took off the top and examined it closely inside my house and noticed that the *head screw that is under the latch is not tight enough, but I can't fit anything between it and the handle to tighten it. Any ideas? What the hell did they place a screw in a place that's inaccessible? :mad I'm almost positive that if I can tighten this (and in combination with Robi's tip) I'll have the problem solved.

Let's get to the bottom of this once and for all guys! :smash:
Old 09-29-2001, 05:15 PM
llremick
Intermediate

I get this problem every ~10,000 miles and take it to the dealer. They fix it and another ~10,000 later I take it back in. Seems that we have a regular maintenance issue here.

99 C5 with 34,000 miles.

Lee

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top - Snapping noise

Old 09-29-2001, 06:01 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Targa Top - Snapping noise (llremick)

I carefully listened to the clicking and have concluded that although it sounds like it is coming from the front, it is actually coming from the back of the top! :eek:

The rear latch is very tight, so maybe loosening it may help. I'll try and report back.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:24 PM
Robiwan
Instructor

RichieRich, there is a hole in the latch assembly that you have to go through to tighten the screw. Rotate the latch assembly until you can line it up. Hope this works for you.
Robi
Old 09-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Yellow 01 Coupe
Instructor

Guys, I FIXED IT. The loud snapping noise is completely gone. Here is what I did: 1. Tighten the rear latch hook by one turn. Result: helped a little, still noise going over larger bumps. 2. Tighten the rear latch hook by one more turn. Result: not much difference except that the latch is almost impossible to close :rolleyes: . 3. Lower both front latdch plates almost until they bottom out against the plastic trim. Result: noise completely gone. I am not sure if tightening the rear hook helped much, but it probably didn't hurt. I probably should have only gone 1 turn tighter 'cause it's pretty hard to close now. I think I will back it off one turn and see if the noise comes back. I am 99.9% certain that the problem was the front latches, as this is where the noise seemed to be coming from. The latch plates are actually slotted, so there is a pretty good amount of adjusting you can do. I anticipate having to do this every few thousand miles since the plates will eventually work themselves back up over time. I would recommend that you give lowering the front latches a try if you haven't already. If you already have done this, then try tightening the rear hook. If you've already done this too and the noise is still there, I don't know what else to tell you. :chevy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa Top - Snapping noise