C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popped headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Secret237
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Popped headlight bulbs

Has anyone had the problem of popped headlight bulbs ?? Within 5 min. and only after being on for about 10 min. total; I had 2 9006 80W low beam bulbs explode and 1 9005 100W high beam explode.
I shut them off before the final bulb had a chance to blow up.

I've replaced them all with stock bulbs, for now and no problem so far with about 1 hour on them.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem ... what do you think, cheap bulbs ?? They were not a name brand that I've ever heard of.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:12 PM
dpd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you touch the bulbs? if so,the oil from your body caused them to blow.if not,check to see if you are overcharging[you should also have a fault for overcharging]
Old 11-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Secret237
Pro

I was careful not to touch the bulbs.

I don't think I did touch the bulbs and I am certian that I didn't touch all 3 burst bulbs.

I have checked the voltage and it is charging at 14.5 V, no more.

No faults on overcharging.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use latex gloves when putting in halogen bulbs.

You didn't drive in rain did you? If so you may have a leak in headlight. Those higher wattage bulbs can melt the plastic lenses.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Secret237
Pro

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I use latex gloves when putting in halogen bulbs.

You didn't drive in rain did you? If so you may have a leak in headlight. Those higher wattage bulbs can melt the plastic lenses.
No rain, they were only on for about 10 min. total before they blew.

They did melt the plastic lens when they broke, had to replace those.

Good idea on the gloves .... what bulbs should I use so I don't melt the plastic lens ... ??

Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Secret237
No rain, they were only on for about 10 min. total before they blew.

They did melt the plastic lens when they broke, had to replace those.

Good idea on the gloves .... what bulbs should I use so I don't melt the plastic lens ... ??

Thanks

You really should stick with the factory wattage. I use silverstars, they are whiter and seem brighter.

You can go to higher wattage bulbs IF you install European Headlights (they are glass), which have a better pattern. They use a single bulb that has high/low filaments in them. You may have to beef up the wiring if you increase the wattage much, wouldn't want to catch the car on fire!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:48 PM
FrogmanDave
Racer

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I use silverstars, they are whiter and seem brighter.
Ditto! Most of those aftermarket blue bulbs aren't very good quality. I have blown them up in several different cars. I went ahead and sprung for the Silverstars for my Z06 and have never had a problem.

Dave
Old 11-20-2006, 03:08 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not sure what the cutoff is but I had to get the hi wattage harness to allow me to go to 135/90s in my Euro headlights.

If the headlights are dry it may be a current issue??
Old 11-20-2006, 06:22 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
If the headlights are dry it may be a current issue??
If the voltage is the same, the current is determined by the bulb itself. I suspect they were just bad bulbs then. No other explanation I can think of.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 AM
HeadHunter1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Current draw is normally determined by the device drawing the current. Generally, you install your fuses at the start of the circuit to protect your wiring. If you think of it in terms of a house, the circuit breaker is up at the panel where the power enters the house. In a 15 amp circuit you have 14 gauge wire that runs out to the plugs. If you plug two space heaters at 1500 watts each into the circuit, the breaker will trip. Same concept with the lights too much wattage and you should start blowing fuses. Fuses are normally sized to the wire, since that is technically what they protect. Draw too much current across too small a wire gauge and you will likely have a fire. I hear people all the time talking about how they just installed a bigger fuse and voila, more power. Theory works right up until the meltdown.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:47 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all 80W low and 100W high are not street legal - I notice a lot of people don't care who they blind at night but thought I'd point that out.

Anyway the higher wattage results in higher current and temperature especially at the contact points in the socket. You're putting 45% more current through the circuit with an 80W low bulb. The increase heat must be too much for those bulbs to handle.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
First of all 80W low and 100W high are not street legal - I notice a lot of people don't care who they blind at night but thought I'd point that out.

Anyway the higher wattage results in higher current and temperature especially at the contact points in the socket. You're putting 45% more current through the circuit with an 80W low bulb. The increase heat must be too much for those bulbs to handle.
My hi wattage bulbs are fitted in Euro headlights. The beam is aimed and has a distinct cut off unlike the stock lights which just "flood" the beam.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:15 AM
louzon
Racer

Originally Posted by DeeGee
My hi wattage bulbs are fitted in Euro headlights. The beam is aimed and has a distinct cut off unlike the stock lights which just "flood" the beam.

Been running this set up as well for years and have never been flashed by on coming traffic!!
Adjust the aim!!

Get notified of new replies

To Popped headlight bulbs

Quick Reply: Popped headlight bulbs