C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C vent problem, re-visited.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:14 PM
EFI-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C vent problem, re-visited.

Ok. I posted earlier about the "drivers side warm, passenger side cold" problem that seems to be affecting many of us on the forum. Before I go any further, I need to point out that my car threw NO codes relating to the HVAC.
To try and remedy the problem, I tried recharging the freon. This helped for a little while, then the problem returned. I tried disconnecting the battery a few times, along with pulling the HVAC fuses. Nada, nothing, zilch.
I discovered a "band aid" fix by installing covers on the passenger vents, the drivers vents are restored to "coolness". Not good if you have a passenger, but a pretty good temporary fix if you ride solo.
Anyhow, after reading about the problems others were having, I came to the conclusion that replacing the drivers actuator is the only "real" fix. Correct?
If someone out there could help, I'd like the part number of the drivers actuator so I can order this part. Also, could someone shed some light on installing this thing? I know I saw a write-up on this earlier, but I can't find it now.
If anyone would like to expand, or comment, on what I've said, please feel free.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 AM
2001PewterCoupe
Intermediate

Default left actuator adustment

I saw a post about adjusting the actuator gear about two or three teeth. You have take it out and mark the other gears and turn the main gear. I'm trying to find the post right now with the link to the guys site that had really good pics and instructions and if I find it I will post the website. Just repaired my AC head unit that had the dim display. My wife from the Phillipines that worked at Pentax there resoldered the resistors and it was really bright when we put it back, hope it stays. So now I'm considering trying the left actuator adjustment and looking for the post.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 AM
2001PewterCoupe
Intermediate

Default Found it

Here is the the guys site with instructions and link to original post.
http://vette.the-reeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=actuator

Hey I'm in Hawaii too. From Aiea...how's those Bows? Kickin some serious butt!!! GO BOWS!!! Anyway...it's curious how you don't have any codes. I would think that if your actuator was bad then it would give a code. On mine when the driver's side goes hot, usually when I try to change the temp or try to use defrost or reset the HVAC code, it will usually reset itself after a while then I won't touch it.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:28 AM
2001PewterCoupe
Intermediate

Default Fixed

I adjusted the actuator and the codes went away. Everything seems to be working now. The actuator is a pain to get to though. Took 2 hours to complete the adjustment. I think it's worth a try in your situation although if it doesn't fix your prob you may want to have a new one just in case.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:32 AM
EFI-4
Instructor

I don't understand it either. The original post says not to continue with the replacement of the actuator if you are not getting any codes. My car doesn't have any HVAC codes.
I'd hate to tear into the dash only to find out it's something else.

Steve
Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Any new info on this? I just noticed on my 2001 Coupe,with auto-temp AC, the passenger side blows cold, drivers warm, when calling for heat. No HVAC codes. Dealer replaced the drivers actuator, just under 1 year ago, because the AC only blew WARM, at that time.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Jstockton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
FedEx Bowl 4 St. Jude '09
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I am sure you guys have tried this, but I am throwing it in due to this is what I did to fix the same problem with my car.

There is a vacuum line running from the back of the manifold to under the battery where it goes into a fitting, then proceeds under the passenger side dash where as I recall it is a clear blue line. pull that off with the car running from inside the car and see if you are getting vacuum if not there is your problem, could be fitting or the line is broken somewhere or it came off the manifold.

Mine was caused by the battery leaking and corroding the lines and fitting..

sorry for the post if you have already tried it..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

I had the drivers hot, passenger cold problem for a month or so. Read a post on the forum saying it could be caused by low freon. Had the freon charged up 6 months ago and have not had the problem since.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C vent problem, re-visited.

Quick Reply: A/C vent problem, re-visited.