C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalls, can anyone help????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalls, can anyone help????

Working on a 2000 C5 Automatic. Just installed a new Iron Block 408, DTE Stg. 5 rear-end, Rossler racing 4L65E and the RaceTronix Fuel pump with the plug-n-play wire harnes and 42 lb. Injectors. And to top it all off a nice custom NX direct port pilled for a 500 shot with a progressive and a stand alone fuel system.
My problem is after installing everything, I cranked the car up to running temp. It ran nice. After that I killed it and let it sit overnight to cool. I retorqued the heads, then took it for a ride. It was nice, but after 4 or 5 miles I started to notice a miss. I went home to check everything out. Now the car stalls after 20 sec. of idling, or if you try to put it into gear it stall, like you turn the key off....Any ideas???

Last edited by nitrouscharlie; 11-08-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

just start with the basic items
sparkplug wires-on all the way, burnt
fuel pressure-does it drop off after startup
intake system inspection
fuse check
and keep calm

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 11-08-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Thanks for the reply. I changed the plugs. I had the TR8 plugs in for the BIG Nitrous, so now I have the TR6 gapped at 36 for NA. But everything else seems perfect. Still have the stalling problem..
Old 11-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

did those plugs show signs of being cold? (rich/black)
since it restarts I don't think it was the plugs.
Fuel starvation sounds like a likely problem.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Well actually with the first plugs they were the TR8 plugs for the nitrous, and yes those were VERY black, fuzzy like. Now I have the TR6 gapped at 38 for NA.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A few years back, a co-worker of mine had a similar problem. Said it would start after sitting for a few mins but then die. Day after day, we'd talk and he'd try different things. Turned out (after a couple of weeks of playing with it) he was just low enough on gas that combined with the incline of his driveway, it wasn't pumping. Doe!

Your problem does sound like fuel feed. New pump working ok? Fuel pressure gauge? and the pressure is...????
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

I'm getting abut 60 psi on the fuel guage. Fuel is what it sounds like when yuo let it idle and then it sort of peters out and dies. Though the fuel pressure never drops. But when you go to put it into gear, rather drive or reverse it dies like you turn off the key.. I'm soo lost... I hope you guys can help...
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's a fuel problem. Probably after the fuel pressure gauge. I think either a big clog, maybe in the fuel rails or all the injectors are clogged by dirt or sediment. There are only three things you need.... air, fuel and spark, if your pretty sure you got air, check the spark. I don't know if you can pull an injector and crank it to see if it's getting fuel or not... Good luck.

Rick
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Thanks for the reply Rick. The pump, injectors, spark plugs and wires are all brand new.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Now it sounds like a security issue.
Try using a different key. try a search on "stall security alarm"
I will look also
Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 AM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Now it sounds like a security issue.
Try using a different key. try a search on "stall security alarm"
I will look also
I didn't even think of that. But I figured if it were the key then the car wouldn't even start in the first......
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Ok heres some info from an old thread.

Ah yes, 1631. That's the same problem I had when I stored my car for the winter without the battery. Same symptoms too. Cranks fine, fires once immediately and that's it.

From what I understand, it's caused by a loss of synch between the PCM and the BCM. To re-synch manually, you have to:

Turn ignition on (do not start) for 11 mins or longer.
Turn off for 30 seconds or longer
On for 11 mins
Off for 30 seconds
On for 11 mins
Off for 30 seconds

Try to start it. I bet it'll work. If you screw up any part of the process you will have to start over. The times listed are a MINIMUM. As long as you do at least 11 mins/30 seconds minimum, you're fine.

Unfortunately, ever since this incident, unplugging the battery, even for a moment, causes the synch to be lost. I have never figured out the cause. I just don't disconnect the battery anymore. I figure replacing the BCM will probably fix it, but I don't feel like doing that I just hook up a battery tender in the winter now and it's been fine.

My theory is that the problem is like a BIOS battery in a computer. It stores the system's settings when you unplug it from the wall. I think there's some sort of similar backup battery in our cars, that if you disconnect the main battery for long enough, will cause the backup to die.

I had a big thread on this on a few boards, when this happened 2 years ago, and no one had any clue.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...036&forum_id=1

this is the main thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=STALL+KEY

a lot to read but maybe there is something in there thats useful

Get notified of new replies

To Car stalls, can anyone help????

Quick Reply: Car stalls, can anyone help????