C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install clutch bleeder line w/o dropping tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install clutch bleeder line w/o dropping tranny???

Can one install a bleeder line without dropping the heavyparts???

Thanks,
ace

Last edited by ace996; 02-07-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: speling
Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope. The bleeder is ontop of the torque tube, damn near impossible to get to.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

I don't know anything about this either - but any chance to get to it from the top side, through the hole for the shifter?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by jtkeller
I don't know anything about this either - but any chance to get to it from the top side, through the hole for the shifter?
no, that's about 2-3 feet back
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

No way to do it without dropping transmission. Top line is the bleeder.
Here's some pictures.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If one was to drop his headers, remove the exhaust back to the muffler connection and drop the tunnel plate, what kind of access would he have then?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by 2000C-5
If one was to drop his headers, remove the exhaust back to the muffler connection and drop the tunnel plate, what kind of access would he have then?
I would think you should be able to do it like that. May be a little hard getting the new line started, but I would deff. try that before I dropped the drive train.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by ace996
I seem to have the common problem of the clutch pedal not fully returning to it's released height after some full-throttle blasts. Even a simple full-on 3rd gear to 4th gear pull leaves the pedal very close to the floor... a few pushes on it and it comes back up.

Last month while at Pocono, the pedal stayed so close to the floor after my 2nd session that I needed to pull it up by hand. This released a torrent of MUD-like fluid into the reservoir. I changed out the reservoir fluid a few times and then was able to finish the day's sessions, but still with the clutch staying close to the floor....engaging and disengaging...but very close to the floor.

I've changed the reservoir fluid quite religiously in the past month, every few days or so. I do this by sucking all the fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe and then putting several inches of "boost-gauge tubing" on the syringe and feeding it down the line to the master and sucking out all that fluid. I replace it with Motul600. It has been very clean with this method...but is still reluctant to return to it's normal level after some spirited running.

I bet my fluid in my slave is swampy. Perhaps being able to flush the whole system would help. I'd like to install the LAPD clutch bleeder line, the extended braided line, but don't want the expense of having the driveline dropped to do it.

Thanks,
ace
What clutch do you have ?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by willyfastz
I would think you should be able to do it like that. May be a little hard getting the new line started, but I would deff. try that before I dropped the drive train.
I don't think so... maybe if you had a well trained miniature monkey
Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by FRCTony
I don't think so... maybe if you had a well trained miniature monkey
I've been known to do things some say can't be done. I'm just saying I would try it anyway, he may get lucky and save himself a lot of time.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

I've been known to do things some say can't be done. I'm just saying I would try it anyway, he may get lucky and save himself a lot of time.
True, plus those parts have to come off anyway.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

If you can't hook up the bleeder hose then at least you could follow the factory recommended way of bleeding the clutch which does not require dropping the drive line.

Bill
Old 11-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

You can always cut an access hole on the inside of the car and do it. Don't laugh, I have seen this done before...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
UVETTYA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you can't hook up the bleeder hose then at least you could follow the factory recommended way of bleeding the clutch which does not require dropping the drive line.

Bill
Hey Bill, do you know of a DIY for bleeding the clutch?

Steve
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

not to get off topic - but how do you bleed the clutch on a c5 w/o the remote bleeder? Any links?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Bob25thTA
Instructor

This is out of the GM manual for an 03. There is a drawing showing a 1/4" ratchet and deep socket.

Clean all dirt and debris from the clutch master cylinder cap to ensure that no foreign substances will enter the system.
Remove the clutch master cylinder reservoir cap with diaphragm.
Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with clutch hydraulic fluid GM P/N 12345347, GM Canada P/N 10953517, or equivalent, if necessary.
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the catalytic converter. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
Remove the driveline tunnel closeout panel. Refer to Driveline Tunnel Closeout Panel Replacement in Propeller Shaft.
Have an assistant depress the clutch pedal fully and hold.
Loosen the bleeder screw on the clutch actuator cylinder to purge air.
Tighten the bleeder screw.
Release the clutch pedal.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 AM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a solution to the bleeding which works better than anything from the bottom> http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm
You can get a similar gadget @ Harbor Freight for ~$30.

I had a nasty probelm with an air bubble and could not get it out till I did the above. It took 10 minutes and absolutely worked!

Unfortuanatley I think your clutch is done. They do not seem to ever recover from the dreaded dead pedal. Pleople bleed ,drill, remove springs, etc and in the end the pressure plate is cooked. I have had two go that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Install clutch bleeder line w/o dropping tranny???

Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
I seem to have the common problem of the clutch pedal not fully returning to it's released height after some full-throttle blasts. Even a simple full-on 3rd gear to 4th gear pull leaves the pedal very close to the floor... a few pushes on it and it comes back up.

Last month while at Pocono, the pedal stayed so close to the floor after my 2nd session that I needed to pull it up by hand. This released a torrent of MUD-like fluid into the reservoir. I changed out the reservoir fluid a few times and then was able to finish the day's sessions, but still with the clutch staying close to the floor....engaging and disengaging...but very close to the floor.

I've changed the reservoir fluid quite religiously in the past month, every few days or so. I do this by sucking all the fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe and then putting several inches of "boost-gauge tubing" on the syringe and feeding it down the line to the master and sucking out all that fluid. I replace it with Motul600. It has been very clean with this method...but is still reluctant to return to it's normal level after some spirited running.

I bet my fluid in my slave is swampy. Perhaps being able to flush the whole system would help. I'd like to install the LAPD clutch bleeder line, the extended braided line, but don't want the expense of having the driveline dropped to do it.

Thanks,
ace
It can be done. . It was done successfully by a forum member who documented it well.. He made some custom tools to do it...
If you have long tube headers.. forget it! you need to have the clutch inspection plate removed...

Give me your email.. I will send you the document.. Also my suggestion is to add a SPEED BLEEDER to the end of the LAPD remote bleeder to make it a truely one man operation..
Old 11-14-2006, 02:29 PM
96-speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob25thTA
Loosen the bleeder screw on the clutch actuator cylinder to purge air.
Is this the 2" long, 1" diameter cylindrical object on the braided clutch hydraulic line (the one from the master cylinder to the slave)?

Anyone got a pic?
Ryan
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

I had a similar problem at Spring Mountain this month, pedal went to the floor.

Let is cool down and sucked the fluid out of the master cylinder. Added new ATE high temp blue (what I am running in the brakes) slowly pushed and pulled the clutch pedal until the pedal came back. Now full of black fluid, sucked it out again, refill and repeat.

Pedal came back and fluid is now blue. All OK finished weekend.

I was told that the clutch hose runs under the exhaust pipes in a tube to get to the right side of the car. The fluid gets vapor locked and the fix is to cover the clutch hose and tube in high temp aircraft hose insulation. Which I plan on doing before the next track day. It sure is nice to talk to people who have already been there!

Quick Reply: Install clutch bleeder line w/o dropping tranny???