C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers,xpipe,mufflers ? again sorry

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 AM
rtsb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headers,xpipe,mufflers ? again sorry

I have a 02 I'm going to get the corse pace car with tigershark tips exhaust soon.

I'm still debating on putting headers and a x pipe on it.Will I see much gain in putting all 3 on or am i just waisting money .

I can see getting all 3 if I go with a bigger cam do I need to get different heads if i get a cam?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exhaust systems do 2 things, directly affect the 'sound' of the car, and provide a means to evacuate combustion waste from the engine. The sound is subjective and everyone has their favorite; loud, soft, loud at WOT, etc. The stock system is fine unless you don't like the sound. The combustion waste evacuation is a little different. The stock system works for a stock LS1 or LS6, but if you want to 'mod' your Vette and add Hp to it, then you begin the slippery slope of what to do and when to stop. So, if you just want to change the sound, replace the cat-back with something that appeals more to your ear. The X-pipe can be occasionally used to eliminate the 'burble' or 'gurgle' or 'motor-boat' sound that typically accompanies quite a few after-market cat-back systems.
Headers, especially, long tube, tuned headers will add Hp to a stock LSx. But that is the slippery slope. Just where do you want to take your Vette?

HTH
Save the Wave
Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

the gains will be from the headers
Old 10-05-2006, 08:20 AM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts