C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you rather have, Coupe - ZO6? why

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 PM
vettedream420
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you rather have, Coupe - ZO6? why

I've been debating for a long time, should i throw my stack a cash at a 2002 coupe or should i go for the Z06? Why did you buy the body style you bought?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
BanditDude
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted the Z06 because it was one of the most focused cars out there. Then, my dad bought a convertible. One drive in it, and I knew that I also had to have one.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:25 AM
OutlawDon
Drifting

Had a A4 98 coupe for 1.5 years. Fun, quick car. Looked pretty nice. The auto tranny with the 2.73's were a little boring after awhile though.

Sold it and got an 01 Z06 2 years ago. Way more fun and much quicker car. The FRC hardtop style looks even better imo. After 2 years, it still never bores me...not when it's capable of low/mid 12 second quarter miles, 0-60 in low 4 seconds, and taking corners and onramps at high .9's/low 1.0 g's out of the box without breaking a sweat!

If you need to ask, you haven't driven a Z06 yet then.

Last edited by OutlawDon; 10-03-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that I would like a Z06, but the coupe is the only type of C5 that I could drive. I need the storage space. I travel 2-4 days a week and like the coupe set-up. Also, I can do the top on / off thing.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prosecutor
I think that I would like a Z06, but the coupe is the only type of C5 that I could drive. I need the storage space. I travel 2-4 days a week and like the coupe set-up. Also, I can do the top on / off thing.
I have a 02 Z06 and I was surprised at the amount of storage space. I regularly take it for 3-7 day trips and have room to spare. The performance is another thing that once you drive it you wont want anything else.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I like to take the top off once in awhile. I like the looks and room of the coupe. Mine has a Procharger on it so I can keep up with those Z06s (473 whp/439 tq.)
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whiteonrice
I like to take the top off once in awhile. I like the looks and room of the coupe. Mine has a Procharger on it so I can keep up with those Z06s (473 whp/439 tq.)
That it will!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 05:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

In a perfect world, I could have the sleeker look of the coupe with the performance of the Z-06........
Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
In a perfect world, I could have the sleeker look of the coupe with the performance of the Z-06........
And VERY easy to do with a few mods!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I would consider taking the performance of the Z06 out of the thought process if you are willing to Mod a C5 coupe or Vert because you can make them match a Z06.

If you do not want to Mod then the Z06 will really out perform a C5, but a C5 non-modded vette is still quick.

Next do you want the roof to come off or not? If you think you will never take the roof off then the Z06 would be the choice.

The other consideration is storage. Z06 and Vert are limited while the coupe has plenty of room.

My choice - C5 Coupe. Love to have the roof off. Modded the car to be faster than the Z06 and to out handle it. Yesterday had a set of golf clubs and the roof in the rear area.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:56 AM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by vettedream420
I've been debating for a long time, should i throw my stack a cash at a 2002 coupe or should i go for the Z06? Why did you buy the body style you bought?
Well the first things to consider are... What do you want from the Corvette, Do you want to do mods to increase the performance, do you do your own work or have it done by a pro-tuner.

Do you just want a high performance nice weather day Corvette cruiser?

Unfortunatly, I am through working on vehicles due to medical problems that now prevent me from wrenching too much. So I purchased my 02 Z06 because it had the performance factor off the showroom floor. The roof style had no bearing on my decision to purchase the Z06. Although because does have the diferent roof style, it is immediately recognized as a Z06.

If you are like many on here who like to do mods, the Coupe and Vert can be just as quick or quicker, just as fast or faster, and made to handle just as well or better than the Z06, but it does take bucks to do that. The Z06 is about 100 - 110 lbs lighter than either the coupe or the vert, and because of the coupe's halo support and the vert's rear deck support both being in the Z06, the frame/body is stiffer. So that gives one a nice platform to begin with.

The Z06 trunk has slightly more room than the Vert, but not as much vertical room as the coupe, two full size golf bags easily fit with room to spare.
My wife and I took a 4 day trip to Bowling Green the first year I had the car, we had three good size bags plus my medical supplies for 5 days, those alone are pretty bulky, (PD Dialysis if you might be familiar with that term).

If I had to do it all over again, I would still get the Z06. Hope all this helped you.
... and by the way, although I am fully retired, I drive it almost every day just for the fun factor. It gives very few problems, had to replace the battery after 3 years, and the waterpump had a seep, got that replaced this past spring. It has just over 38,000 miles and still runs and looks like like brand new. Replaced all four tires in the Spring also, got the OEM Goodyear F1 supercar tires, they work well for me year round, got about 35,000 miles out the the originals. Probably could have gone another 5000 but the rears had slow leaks from nails/screws, and the fronts were worn pretty good from hard cornering.

The only mods I added; Blackwing filter, the Delco 12 disc CD changer, and an XM sat radio. All were easy to install.

Last edited by ZO6vettepilot; 10-03-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:07 AM
ChipN
Racer

I wanted a Z06 but my wife doesn't drive stick so my "conditions for purchase" were that I purchased something with an automatic. Given the alternative (i.e., no Corvette) it wasn't a tough decision.

I have an '04 A4 with F55 (magnetic fluid shocks) suspension. It really didn't handle like a sports car and I was disappointed. It also seemed a bit slow, even with the 3.15 performance gears.

The first thing that I did was work on the suspension and handling. I upgraded to Z06 stability anti-sway bars, added a tunnel brace, and bought some inexpensive and almost new '04 factory Z06 rims and tires. Handling was much, much better, but not quite at a Z06 level. This year I replaced the rear spring with a Z06 spring and now handling is perfect - and very close to that of a Z06. But, this came at a cost of around $3,500 (but well worth it).

Last year I had DTE upgrade my differential to their Stage II package with several Stage III parts, and went with Z06 3.42 hardened gears that were also cryogenically treated. The DTE clutch packs are noticeably better than stock, and better than the Z06. Another $2K or so (installed) spent here (but again, well worth it).

I upgraded the brakes to Baer Eradispeed (more for bling than anything), and also added stainless steel brake lines. I think that the brake lines actually made big difference. So, not really required (I could have just installed Z06 brake pads for $100 or so), but I would recommend the stainless steel brake lines regardless of the type of Corvette you have.

Next was the engine. Last year was a (mild) cam package with Tri-Y headers and a Z06 Ti exhaust that brought me to 367 rwhp and 356 rwtq. The Tri-Y headers don't seem to make as much high-end power and torque as other long tube headers, but do well in the low-end to midrange - perfect for a daily driver. About $6K spent to put me in Z06 territory from a performance perspective.

For me it was worth it. I bought my car new when GM was offering $10K off of list price. The money I spent to get Z06 performance was about $5K more than if I would have just purchased a Z06 (which my wife would not have allowed).

This year I spent even more money on AFR 205 heads and a Fast 90 / LS2 TB setup. I'm at 423 rwhp and 391 rwtq. The car is a monster and will handle a C5 Z06 easily.

Would I do it again? At this point I would spend my money on a C6 Z06 instead. Handling of that car on the track is extremely impressive. It didn't feel that fast until about 4K rpm, but then it was a monster. And, everything is under warranty (I voided most of my warranties before my car was 1 year old).

So, it depends on what you want to use the car for, what your expectatations are, and how much you are willing to do to get what you want. Going right away with a used Z06 would be more economical. But, if you want the extra room with a Coupe, or want a 'vert, then there are ways to get Z06 (or better) performance.

Hope that helps.

Chip
Old 10-03-2006, 12:02 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedream420
..........................Why did you buy the body style you bought?
I, personally, never cared for the hatchback/liftback styling. Then, when the hardtop styling came out......... Went and bought my first Vette.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
iaanr
Advanced

It is a matter of personal preference. The body style of the FRC/C5Z06is what sold me on getting a vette. Its a little more exclusive. I wish the c6Z06 were similar.

The coupe style for me just seems too common these days. I see a bunch of them on the road, but maybe GM made more of them because more people prefer the removable top.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
ratman228
Intermediate

I am on the other side of the spectrum compared to these guys. I don't like the look of the FRC/ZO6 roofline. To me it looks unfinished, the roof sort of drops off whereas the coupe has a nice swoopy finished look to it. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

The fact that the coupe has a removable top and extra storage space were also key determining factors for me as this car is my daily driver.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Z06. You are starting with a good platform for whatever you want to do. Bottom line. If you are an open air type of person do not get a Z.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
EStreeter
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been concerned about the insurance issues. Every source has always quoted a higher premium for the Z06 because of its performance and I guess reputation. I thought it would better to save the insurance money and use it to build up the coupe to the performance level of the Z06. Almost there and a head/cam swap with a stall converter should push it over the top. The A4 is a little boring but the 3:42 helped a lot. I think the final product should surprise a few folks that aren't paying attention to the sound of the motor.

We also like to cruise with the top off.

By the way, those red calipers are good for at least 20 rwhp.

Last edited by EStreeter; 10-03-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you rather have, Coupe - ZO6? why

Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

I had not thought of the insurance factor, but the coupe has a slightly smaller coefficient of drag, not much, but a bit less. Modding the coupes will net you Z06 performance, and modding a Z will get you into higher territory too! That said, if you like both body styles, and are going to put mod money into the Vette, you have to ask yourself what you are going to do with the car. If its a track only (or predominantly) go with the Z. If you are going to drive it and track it a few times a year, the coupe is on equal footing.

Boy, tough problem you have here... A 'Z' or an '02. Either way you are going to be quite happy.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

I could not have said it any better
Old 10-03-2006, 05:46 PM
DRR
Burning Brakes

Vert with mods.

Quick Reply: What would you rather have, Coupe - ZO6? why