C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire mounting questions? Please help quick!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 12:35 PM
99 Corvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire mounting questions? Please help quick!

I'm getting my tires mounted today and the guy who is doing them said he had to get a rebuild kit from GM and said it had something to do with the valve stems or the nuts on them. He also said that I would have to go to GM to get the computer reset. I've had my tires patched before at a different place and they have never mentioned a rebuild kit or the computer. I would have had them do it but they don't want to do Firestones (they are a Goodyear dealer) Is this other place jerking me around or are they telling the truth? It sounds kinda fishy to me. Thanks.

Jerry
Old 09-13-2001, 12:39 PM
RedLandRocket
Instructor

Default Re: Tire mounting questions? Please help quick! (99 Corvette)

I might not understand the question but there is no reason to change anything on the car or the wheels if you are just demounting tires and remounting new tires. As long as you keep the l/r and f/r separated you won't even have to reset the tire monitoring system. The reset procedure is documented and the only tool you need is about $2 worth of magnets from Radio Shack.

If you are taking out the tire pressure sensors, then that is a different subject.

[Modified by RedLandRocket, 10:41 AM 9/13/2001]
Old 09-13-2001, 05:41 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tire mounting questions? Please help quick! (RedLandRocket)

Previously someone posted pictures of the dismounting and remounting procedure that showed removing the valve stem nut as the first step. The pressure sensor was supposed to "fall" out of the way into the middle of the tire. I have no experience on this, so others may wish to let us know if this step is absolutely necessary, as the first step in remounting a tire is to reinstall the pressure sensor. The official "line" is to replace a small O-ring that seals the stem to the wheel, but others have stated that this is not necessary if the O-ring is in good shape. As long as the pressure sensor goes back to the same location on the car, no "re-programming" should be necessary. You may wish to consider whether the guy telling you these "bogus" procedures is really qualified, being over cautious, or trying to hit you for extra $$.
Old 09-13-2001, 08:04 PM
blackjack
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tire mounting questions? Please help quick! (2kbluestreak)

This is what works for me:

1. Remove the valve core and relieve the air pressure.
2. Remove the stem nut and let the sensor fall into the tire.
3. Break the beads from the rim and when the outside bead is released from the rim, lift the tire, reach inside and remove the sensor.
4. Release the inside bead and throw tire carcass ;)
5. Install inside bead of the new tire in the same direction of the old tire (this avoids sensor relearn).
6. Lift tire by the outside bead, reach inside, install sensor and torque valve stem nut to 115 in lbs, I repeat, inch lbs!
7. Install outside bead with the last portion of the bead to go over the rim at the sensor and inflate tire.

I have replaced my tires and reused the sensor o-rings without any problems.

-Blackjack
Old 09-13-2001, 09:33 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Sound like this is his way of telling you that he damadged one of your low tire sensors :smash:
Old 09-13-2001, 09:36 PM
goldman
Pro

Default Re: Tire mounting questions? Please help quick! (blackjack)

I've changed tires several times & never had to remove or mess with the sensors in any way!!!! (until I changed wheels, for this, of course, they had to be moved to the new wheels).

For just a tire change, it's not necessary to remove or "reset" the sensors!!

Old 09-14-2001, 02:58 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

when I had my wheels changed over.. the guys that did them removed the sensor, but then I was changing wheels.. I didnt need any rebuild kits.. or relearn stuff.. the took the sensoe out of one wheel at a time.. but it in the new wheel and remounted the tire.. put it back on the same corner.. and when i drove away all the sensors worked fin.. that was two years ago..
Old 09-14-2001, 08:45 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Default Re: Tire mounting questions? Please help quick! (Evil-Twin)

I replaced my 99's wheels with 01 GM OEM Hi-Polished wheels. We used the orginal 99 sensors in the new 01 wheels. We just kept the sensors in their orginal locations. RR, LR, RF,LF. I didn't need to reprogram them.

I did use new o-rings on the sensors because the orginal rings looked kinda flatened to me. At any rate, it's cheap insurance against leaks at 85 cents each.

Tom
Old 09-14-2001, 09:41 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of michelin pilots installed and they never touched the valve or the sensor. Get someone to do it with the coreect equipment and knowledge
:chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Tire mounting questions? Please help quick!

Quick Reply: Tire mounting questions? Please help quick!