C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Assistance With Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 12:19 PM
Speedway
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Assistance With Oil Change

Hi all –

It’s time for an oil change and I don’t really want to take it in. I need to buy some equipment and would like a few recommendations. Here is what I plan to get:

Front wheel ramps
Hydraulic Jack
Oil filter wrench
Drain plug socket (size?)
Oil filter

Does anyone have any recommendations on the above equipment? Also, Where is the safest lift point for the jack? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:45 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need Assistance With Oil Change (Speedway)

Speedway, here's what I did (first oil change: 1,385 miles, did it about 3 wks ago). I made myself some wooden ramps...used three 2"x12" boards cut to allow a gradual incline (at least 8 inches to the next level) and secured them with nails and wood. This will give you almost 6 additional inches of clearance in the front. Bought a 2 and half ton jack (with a large lifting cup which will span the two ribs of the crossmember in the rear...if not get a 5lb weight to place on top of a small lifting cup for a smaller jack). 6.5 qts of Mobil One and an AC/Delco PF44 filter. Box wrench (12 point) 15mm size for the drain plug. Oil filter cap wrench. Tire chocks (4 of them).

After driving the car up onto to the ramps (have someone watch), position the front tires so that you will have room to chock the front tires both in front of and behind each front tire ---very important! Go under the front and loosen and remove the drain plug (make sure you have good size oil pan to drain the used oil). After about 10 minutes, lift the rear with your jack (make sure that you span the two ribs of your rear crossmember with your lifting cub or use a 5lb barbell weight to spread the lift on the cup). Also be sure not to lift the fiberglass leaf just forward of the rear crossmember. Lift the rear until your tires are about 4-6 inches off the ground to ensure you get an excellent drain. Keep it there for about another 5-8 minutes or until you see the oil starting to drip at 2 second intervals (no longer trickling). Then carefully and slowly lower the rear. Remember when you lift from the rear you must have chocks in front and rear of the front tires or else your car may move when the rear tires are off the ground.
After lowering, replace the drain plug and then change your oil filter (you can do it from under the front...or you can do it from the driver's side). I prefer changing the filter reaching under from the driver's side...just be careful not to touch the hot cat converter. Use a cap wrench which fits the AC/Delco PF44 (go to Kmart or Walmart find a PF44 and try the different oil wrench caps until the proper one fits) to remove the filter. I replaced the filter and hand-tightened it. I never believe in using the wrench to put it back on. By the way, the factory filter was on pretty tight...don't get discouraged...it will come loose with some perseverance.

I then put in 6.5 qts of Mobil One for the re-fill as per the manual and then low and behold (after running the engine and taking the car for a 20 minute ride) that my dipstick (after waiting about 15-20 minutes to check) was reading at half-full. I remember reading about many '01 owners stating that it takes 7.0 qts to do a proper re-fill...but if you listen to Dave Hill and the other engineers...7.0 qts is an overfill (by half a quart obviously). I do know that I drained a little over 7.0 qts from my "factory fill." I took the time to measure the amount of drained oil from the crankcase and used oil filter. So, who knows. I did add an extra cup of oil to bring my level up to 6.75 qts (and you guessed it, the dipstick now reads about a quarter of a quart low). I will just leave it there. Be aware that GM changed the dipstick and dipstick tube for the '01 model...so, who knows, they may have screwed up that redesign.

Have fun and be careful.

[Modified by Mark S., 10:46 AM 9/14/2001]

[Modified by Mark S., 10:47 AM 9/14/2001]

[Modified by Mark S., 10:48 AM 9/14/2001]
Old 09-14-2001, 01:30 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Need Assistance With Oil Change (Mark S.)

>I do know that I drained a little over 7.0 qts from my "factory fill."
>I took the time to measure the amount of drained oil from the
>crankcase and used oil filter.

Mark, Very nice posting. I always suspected my car was overfilled too.
Something tells me the factory may have used 6/1/2 per the specification
and the dealer's prep crew may have topped off the low dip stick reading.

Thanks for taking the time to measure what came out!

GM Engineering should really be proud of the 2001 Dip Stick redesign :(

Dick

ps: Happy Birthday to my car...today is 9/14/01
Old 09-14-2001, 01:40 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Need Assistance With Oil Change (Dick Kriss)

>I do know that I drained a little over 7.0 qts from my "factory fill."
>I took the time to measure the amount of drained oil from the
>crankcase and used oil filter.

Mark, Very nice posting. I always suspected my car was overfilled too.
Something tells me the factory may have used 6/1/2 per the specification
and the dealer's prep crew may have topped off the low dip stick reading.

Thanks for taking the time to measure what came out!

GM Engineering should really be proud of the 2001 Dip Stick redesign :(

Dick

ps: Happy Birthday to my car...today is 9/14/01
I agree....very good post....and for the dipstick you can try scuffing it up a little with the "green side" of a sponge :D
Old 09-14-2001, 01:45 PM
RedLandRocket
Instructor

Default Re: Need Assistance With Oil Change (Dick Kriss)

This is not your old 327.
The oil pan is totally different. It is not a deep bucket, it is shallow and flat with side pods, kind of like the fuel tanks.
6.5 quarts is full, 7.0 quarts is fine and 7.5 quarts is no problem especially if you race.
The point is to change and replace the oil and filter making sure you get all of the old oil out.

Another suggestion is to buy the GM magnetic drain plug. My Z71 had one standard but the C5 didn't!
Old 09-14-2001, 02:01 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Do Not build ramps... Rhino ramps are the only ramps that will work with your C5 they have a 17 degree incline.. I can even get my lowered car on them.. the rhino ramps are 24 dollars at wall mart or Pep boys.. too cheap to build.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:14 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Default Re: Need Assistance With Oil Change (Evil-Twin)

My driveway is slightly inclined towards the road. I wouldn't trust myself stopping on the Rhino ramps when going forward...and if you should go over who knows what damage you might have. I have used wooden ramps for over 30 years on various cars and I have never had a problem. Note that my ramps are built more like a pyramid so that if I over shoot the top board the worst that could happen is that I come down to the second board which is only 2 inches lower and thus no damage). I trust pressure treated wood more than plastic. The option is yours (but you will still have to put something to chock the rear of your front tires if you are going to lift the rear and get all the oil out...there's not much room on the top landing of the Rhino ramps to place a chock...some use a brick I understand).

[Modified by Mark S., 1:15 PM 9/14/2001]
Old 09-14-2001, 07:02 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Good answers; I would only add to let the oil drain as long as possible. I like my Rhinos, but can't seem to keep them from sliding. :rolleyes:
Old 09-14-2001, 08:08 PM
JohnGlenn
Racer

Here's a recent thread on the topic of how to change your oil.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...062517#1062517

[Modified by JohnGlenn, 6:09 PM 9/14/2001]

[Modified by JohnGlenn, 6:09 PM 9/14/2001]
Old 09-15-2001, 12:09 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Default Re: Need Assistance With Oil Change (RedLandRocket)

Ok, RedLandRocket, how did you know that my first love was a 327? (Must have been the fact that I once owned an Impala SS) ;) I guess I'm really showing my age! :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need Assistance With Oil Change

Quick Reply: Need Assistance With Oil Change