C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:11 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uneven tire wear

I have a 2002 C5Z. I notice that my front tires are excessively worn on the inside edges. The rest of the front tires have a good amount of tread left. The tires have 26,000 miles. The rear tires wear normally. I have read that because of the camber of the C5Z, this wear pattern is normal. Does this sound right or do I need an alignment?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:35 AM
RdDragn2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a Z06 but on my '97, I have the same problem. The car tracks straight and the front end is supposed to be alligned but who knows.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:00 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.

The Z06 has a factory spec for more negative camber. At 26,000 miles you've pretty much gotten what you are going to get out of them.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common problem on most C5's. Mine were once like that, but told the alignment guy that I didn't race so he readjusted the front end like I was driving my old Buick Riviera!

Haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to eliminate that type of tire wear, realign the front end with "0" degree camber and your next set of tires will wear evenly.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
chanderson
Instructor

From what I have heard it is a very common problem with all C5s. I didnt realize how bad the tires were worn until I had my front on jacks to do a lowering job and noticed the steel belts literally coming out of the inside portion of both front tires. Then I realized it was just time to swap the runflats to BFGs. My way of looking at it is there is always some kind of a trade off to have such a good handling car.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chanderson
From what I have heard it is a very common problem with all C5s. I didnt realize how bad the tires were worn until I had my front on jacks to do a lowering job and noticed the steel belts literally coming out of the inside portion of both front tires. Then I realized it was just time to swap the runflats to BFGs. My way of looking at it is there is always some kind of a trade off to have such a good handling car.
That is how I found out. I had it up on jacks to change the oil and got to looking at the tires and saw steel belts showing through on the inside edge. My new front Goodyear F1 SCs are on their way from the Tire Rack right now.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:09 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the "toe".
Old 08-22-2006, 03:41 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PierEagle
Check the "toe".
That kind of wear has nothing to do with "toe," in or out.

Check the camber.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:49 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by alanh
If you want to eliminate that type of tire wear, realign the front end with "0" degree camber and your next set of tires will wear evenly.

Yup! cost me 1 set of tires when the car was new.. Did this and now they wear even. Only drive the track 1/yr so racing is not an issue. vettdvr
Old 08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Depends... This wear can come from two things.

Camber will wear the inside edge of the tire because you are putting more of the tire on the road.

0 toe and toe out (0 static toe will become toe out when moving) will wear the inside edge of your tires. This because the inside edge of the tires are scuffing on the pavement as you drive wearing the inside edges far more severly than camber ever will.

for street use only, you should set your car up to the minimum of the camber spec and with some toe in.

Keep an eye on the tire wear and rotate your tires. This will hopefully save you a few $ on tires.

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the exact same tire wear problem. I usually get an alignment under warranty but I didn't for my Z06...the car seemed perfectly fine--didn't pull and drove straight as an arrow. What a chump I was...cost me a set of tires and an alignment at 13K miles.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Westwopper
Racer

I have never owned a new car before so I have never had a new one on the rack. On a commercial truck, from my experience, it takes some time for the suspension to settle. It is not uncommon for the alignment to be out of adjustment after 7k miles. It would be a good practice to check it on a new vehicle between 5k and 7,500 miles.

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westwopper
Depends... This wear can come from two things.

Camber will wear the inside edge of the tire because you are putting more of the tire on the road.

0 toe and toe out (0 static toe will become toe out when moving) will wear the inside edge of your tires. This because the inside edge of the tires are scuffing on the pavement as you drive wearing the inside edges far more severly than camber ever will.

for street use only, you should set your car up to the minimum of the camber spec and with some toe in.

Keep an eye on the tire wear and rotate your tires. This will hopefully save you a few $ on tires.

Regards,
Tony
You cannot rotate Z06 tires.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by alanh
Mine do the same thing and when it's time I will have it seta "0" camber, The alignment shop said to have the new tires on before I bring it in! Was the same way with my other cars bring it in with new tires already on not thee old one's!

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-22-2006, 11:53 PM
PierEagle
Drifting

Originally Posted by EHS
That kind of wear has nothing to do with "toe," in or out.

Check the camber.
Had the same type of wear. Checked alignment and everything was in spec except toe. After new tires and alignment all is well. So you must be right. Must be some other gremlin.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Westwopper
Racer

I've never seen the Z06 rubber, didn't know they were asymetrical. If you replace them with directional tires, then just dismount them and swap from rim to rim. I'm sure it depends on how much meat was left when the tires started wearing badly before investing the time and $ to do this.

PeirEagle, If your toe was adjusted, do you mind posting your before and after setting on your alignment sheet?

Regards.

Originally Posted by slwhite
You cannot rotate Z06 tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Uneven tire wear

Old 08-26-2006, 01:34 AM
ammo6
Advanced

I have an 03 50th Anniversary Edition and had the same problem with the inside of the front tires wearing out at about 15,000 miles. Had the entire car realigned, not sure what they did, however, the front is now wearing evenly.

Not sure how you would rotate tires, since I have 17" on front and 18" on back, would look pretty wierd, I guess.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:17 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westwopper
I've never seen the Z06 rubber, didn't know they were asymetrical. If you replace them with directional tires, then just dismount them and swap from rim to rim. I'm sure it depends on how much meat was left when the tires started wearing badly before investing the time and $ to do this.

PeirEagle, If your toe was adjusted, do you mind posting your before and after setting on your alignment sheet?

Regards.
Swapping front tires doesn't help. The tires are directional and the inside surface would be in the same position. The bottom line is that C5Z wheels cannot be swapped in any way that will do any good as far as tire wear is concerned.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem on my 02 Z06
I just bought a new set of front tires.
What i'm going to do is take it to the dealer and have the car aligned, but not before they give me a read out of where my alignment stands at at the moment they put it on the alignment rack. The reason why I want to do this, is for two reasons;
1- my car drives straight
2- what's causing the inside wear, or how the reading differs from the recommended settings for stock Z06 spec
If number 2 is still within Z06 spec, then I would set it to regular C5 specifications, if it was off, then I would ask them to align it to Z06 spec
Below I copy/paste the Z06 and C5 alignment specs from the Z06 forum of this board. It shows the alignment spec for both regular C5 and Z06. It will also be beneficial at this time to do all 4-wheel alignment

Wheel Alignment Specifications
RPO
Operation
Service Preferred
Tolerance

Front Alignment Specifications

All
Front Individual Toe
+ 0.04
+/- 0.10

All
Front Sum Toe