C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse #23

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 AM
thorn92
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuse #23

I have a 2000 MN6 with a CLB installed and have had numerous issues with the "service column lock" popping up in the DIC. Over time, CSCOKD helped me through just about every issue (thanks John!). I've went at least 50 start cycles with no problem until last night. It was back to the same ole thing..."pull key" then "service lock". This morning, I disassembled EVERYTHING related to this issue...again! I found no loose connections or shorts, etc. In the meantime, it would occasionally try the ignition and out of the blue it would be fine, but the next attempt would be bad news again. Now, I've always pulled fuse #25 to reset the BCM...nothing was working. As I was reading here on the forum, I noticed where someone said to pull #23? This is a fuse I've never pulled before, but I thought I better try it. I pulled it and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and now all is good. Here are my questions 1) Any ideas on what might have blown it? Other than the usual shorts or surges? Is it possible the CLB could affect it? 2) If it was the blown fuse causing the problem, why would it work intermittently? It doesn't seem to make sense? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. If you need help on rappelling or covert operations, i'm your man...but when it comes to a simple fuse, I'm totally open for input...LOL! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuse 25 will clear the BCM memory, but Fuse 23 provides power to the Column Lock circuit including the CL relay and the BCM circuits to energize the CL motor (which in your case is now the CLB).

In your current configuration, the only 2 loads on that fuse that could cause an overload and blow the fuse are the CLB and the Column Lock Relay near the BCM. Hard to tell which one is the culprit, but if it happens again you may need to replace both to identify the cause - start with the cheapest component of the two - likely that relay is cheaper than the CLB and it's easier to get to.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:42 PM
thorn92
Instructor

Thanks for your help!!! That narrows it down.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 AM
thorn92
Instructor

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
Fuse 25 will clear the BCM memory, but Fuse 23 provides power to the Column Lock circuit including the CL relay and the BCM circuits to energize the CL motor (which in your case is now the CLB).

In your current configuration, the only 2 loads on that fuse that could cause an overload and blow the fuse are the CLB and the Column Lock Relay near the BCM. Hard to tell which one is the culprit, but if it happens again you may need to replace both to identify the cause - start with the cheapest component of the two - likely that relay is cheaper than the CLB and it's easier to get to.
Where exactly is the CL relay? I looked at my fuse/relay diagrams in the manual and inside the fuse box lid and can't seem to find any relay for the CL?? The car is still intermittently acting up. A relay is the last possible problem that I can think of. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse #23

Quick Reply: Fuse #23