C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights on w/ headlights down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:24 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19
question #1 has this ever happened to you on your car?
if you answered yes what fixed it if the motor gear didnt?
if the answer is no, kindly spare us of the explainaion of
how the system works. the gears will cause the problem
because i have seen it. after fixing the gear, my headlights
and fog lights function properly every time. it was not in
the switch. i do not have an expaination for it but it is fact
and has been poven more than once. dont you just hate it
when experience contradicts theory.
i will bet that when the poster puts in the gears the problem will be fixed. post up and let us know if the gears fix your problem. if they do not i owe JC in XTC5 some beer money.
I have problems with a headlight not raising and that's why I investigated the operation.

kindly spare us of the explainaion of how the system works.:
Dude: Fine for me. If an analytical explanation of how a system works is somehow not relevant to diagnosing a problem then by all means start tearing the car apart starting from the rear

No need for beer money. But I'd love an answer to my question on how tearing into a motor to replace an internal gear in the motor addresses the electrical signal that it receives to raise it.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:45 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by StephenT
Just turn on the parking lights with the fog lights on

Mine works this way:

From Off:

Park Position. Headlights Down – Side markers (in T/S cluster) On – Fogs enabled

Headlights Position. Headlights Up – Side markers On – Fogs enabled

Park Position. Headlights Up – Side markers On – Fogs enabled
Old 08-19-2006, 02:00 PM
1Corvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02 and it works the way it should. Position 1, all lights except headlights, Position 2, all lights functional. When returning back to position 1, everything except headlights, but the lights stay in the raised position. I also have turned off the headlight sentinal to stop the up and down in the morning when I am starting and leaving the garage. I have to agree that I can see no way for the gears to cause this problem but also have no experience with the problem to comment on it. Good luck with your repairs!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for everyone's responses. I will definitely post what the behavior of the headlights becomes once I have the new gears in place. Patiently waiting for the delivery...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
I have problems with a headlight not raising and that's why I investigated the operation.

Dude: Fine for me. If an analytical explanation of how a system works is somehow not relevant to diagnosing a problem then by all means start tearing the car apart starting from the rear

No need for beer money. But I'd love an answer to my question on how tearing into a motor to replace an internal gear in the motor addresses the electrical signal that it receives to raise it.
hey man i was just giving you a hard time. i do agree with you that it makes no sense at all that changing the position or changing the gear completly would fix this problem. it seems to have happened that way with a lot of cars. it is above my level to figure out how, but it does work. please dont take offence at my comments. it truly was ment in fun. the beer money thing was just a way of saying i bet the gear fixes it. i was just responding the way evil twin used to except i was not serious. pm me and i will give you something to try concerning your headlight it may work. i dont want to hijack the thread any worse than i already have.sorry.

Last edited by 2000FRCZ19; 08-19-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:01 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5

Is it possible that the problem is related to how the motor shuts of with good vs. bad gears? With good gears, it should shut of due to a limit switch or high electrical load. With bad gear, it probably shuts of due to a time-out. This might cause the module to behave strangely.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:27 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

the time out makes sense because with a bad gear, the motor grinds for 5 seconds after it closes. the man might be on to something. the head light not going up is what happened to mine right before the gear started to grind. the fix for me was to move the linkage off the headlight motor and turn the manual **** until the gear had turned 180* then i reinstalled the linkage. i have had no trouble since.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:40 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

something is wrong with your system

I drive till dark with my switch to position 1 which enables me to drive with my fog lights on w/o raising them damn air brakes
Old 08-19-2006, 06:08 PM
dudleyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the time out makes sense because with a bad gear, the motor grinds for 5 seconds after it closes. the man might be on to something. the head light not going up is what happened to mine right before the gear started to grind. the fix for me was to move the linkage off the headlight motor and turn the manual **** until the gear had turned 180* then i reinstalled the linkage. i have had no trouble since.
I totally agree,
I first posted that it was one of the 1st symptoms when my Multifunction switch was going bad but after thinking back I had both the gear strip out one side and then a week or so later after replacing the hole motor (stupid me didn’t know I could just turn the gear around or replace it) my Multifunction switch started going south. As these both happened a couple years ago it kind of just blends together. But I do recall now that when I was having the motor grinding away problem position one would bring the head lamp up 90% of the time, after replacing the motor all worked as normal, position 1: running lights, tail lights and fog if activated / position 2: head lamps up and on Note that if you go from position 2 to 1 the head lamps turn off but stay up. When I was first trying to fix it I had the motor apart and there was no limit switch I could see of so I think you guys are right that the limit switch is a electrical load switch in the control module and after some time if that switch is not activated it goes to a timed out condition. Sorry if I misled anyone with my original post.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owe you guys a huge apology :bb

I claimed it was impossible for the gear to cause this issue but I was proven wrong tonight. Even more I learned something.

Tonight my passenger headlight made the grinding sound when I lowered it - the motor kept running for about 5 seconds and I knew the plastic gear was shot. But then I moved the switch up to the first position (parking lights) and the headlights popped up but stayed off just as is posted here.

To temporarily address the gear issue, I disconnected the door linkage and turned the motor **** until the gear turned 180* and reconnected. Then when I set the switch to the first position the doors did NOT come up as before proving that the gear problem during closing did in fact affect the way the headlight control module works on subsequent inputs.

As noted, the reason for this behavior appears to be the way the headlight control module works. It stops providing open or close power to the motor when it detects the increased current when the motor hits the stop. When the gear strips, the motor continues to run because it never detects the stop, but must shut off after a maximum time is exceeded as part of it's design. When you then move the switch to Parking Lights, that position does send a signal to the headight control module that the OFF input is no longer valid (OFF input is when switch is OFF), and since the control module never got the feedback it expected on the last OFF input it becomes confused and somehow provides the OPEN signal to the headlight motors.

Please foregive me for being too analytical and not digging deeper.

But I must now replace the gears as my penalty. Although I spun the gear 180*, the spot on the gear that was bad is now in the middle of the opening operation and has enough of a resistance that the control module things it's detecting a stop and prevents the motor from opening all the way. I can open it manually, but the bad spot is clearly there and must be due to a piece of the gear stuck between the teeth. You actually use about 60-70% of the gear so turning it 180* may work if the stripped part is not that bad.

I will now be quiet.

Last edited by JC in XTC5; 08-23-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:48 AM
REW89
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patrickC5
Maybe it is something with that year. I have an 00 and I turn my switch once and puch the button for the fog lights and they come on and the head lights stay down. Hope some one with an 02 can give you more insight.

Same for my 99

Bob
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dudleyd
I think that was one of the 1st symptoms when my headlight/turn signal Multifunction switch on the column started to go bad.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I think this issue has popped up in another thread, but as promised I wanted to post my results - gear replacement fixed the headlight popping up on switch position one. Two fixes in one!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:15 PM
427Carl
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go ahead and shoot me

Originally Posted by UncleFodder
I think this issue has popped up in another thread, but as promised I wanted to post my results - gear replacement fixed the headlight popping up on switch position one. Two fixes in one!
I know it a OLD topic But I am waiting for gears to fix my 2000, and I was disappointed after disarming the Sentinel, that the headlights came up on the 1st position.. I want my lights down, and fog lights on!
now I can see I may have a solution with the gear repair
Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleFodder
It has and someone said it was the gears and someone argued there was no way for that to happen due to the electrical path/current switch(kinda like above post). Long story short that's what happens when the gears go out. I forgot why but it does. I'm no eng but that's just the way it works. As seen as some of the folks that have had this issue in the past. Fix the gears and as you see it fixes the issue.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 PM
427Carl
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

confirming my 2 problems in 1 is great lol I do understand how the car could make 2 problems out of one I can't wait to get the gear in this week I will replace the right side (noisy) and see what happens I installed replica Z06 chrome wheels and prepared to re-program with the magnet trick lo and behold the car re-set them by its self Very nice car for a 12 year old I have a 6.0L 2500HD and a 5.3L 07 Sub and a 03 Silverado with 4.8L so the very loud piston slap is "normal for me " Thanks for you input (all of you)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gdphillipsvette
I have an '02 Coupe; the headlights do NOT raise when the parking lights are turned on.
Same here on my 02 Coupe

Quick Reply: Fog lights on w/ headlights down?