C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced the oil pressure sensor, Again! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replaced the oil pressure sensor, Again! Pics!

As everyone has been aware, these GM sensors aren't too good. I installed the last one about 3 mo's ago and it failed 2 days ago. Since I bought it from Fred Beans, I had the part replaced at the local dealership free of charge as the part is under warranty. The first time I replaced it 3 mo's ago, I noted my old original sensor was made of heavy brass. The new one seems like aluminum as you see below and as others have mentioned as well. Seems GM outsourced their parts production in Mexico. Definitely a drop in quality on this particular part given the number of complaints we've seen.
Oh, and I should add I used the recommended torque of 15 ft-lbs to be accurate. I'm hoping this one lasts longer. If it fails, I'll have to throw out some more $$ to buy a different brand instead.
And yes, it was lots more fun the 2nd time around!! I'm getting good and fast at this too.

For those interested, I took a pic of that weany vacuum tube (i.e. straw) in the back that always is a pain to get it to fit into that tiny rubber elbow in the back of the manifold. I took the advice of some others to buy the 1/4 in tubing and a vacutite kit to extend it's reach to easily stick it into the elbow before moving the manifold back into place. Made the install much easier for certain.

Here's a nice step by step w/ pics link for those in need:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=958008

Enjoy!

Here's a nice shot w/o the intake manifold:

This pic demonstrates the vacuum tube "mod" which can otherwise make this job quite painful. I tried but couldn't get the elbow off the manifold either. So this addition of the the rubber tubing to the plastic "straw" really was quite helpful. Hope this helps others.

Here's the new sensor. I should have taken a pic of the defective one, but I forgot Basically it had oil inside the area where the connector wire harness would go.

Lastly, here is a possible explanation for the quality issue w/ this part :

Last edited by berryj; 01-18-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe NAPA auto parts makes a sensor that owners have had better results with. The GM sensors are a joke. I can't believe where they put them either. Under the intake manifold? I try to look at the bright side.. At least the oil dipstick is not underneath the intake manifold too

Last edited by David426; 08-15-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, you really are gettng good at that... Great job. By the way.. I love that Vacuum mod Looks Pro!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by briann510
WOW! Great engineering by GM to put it like that. If my gauge ever goes out because of the sender it can stay out.

GM is either has the dumbest engineers on their design team or the smartest...

I say the latter.. Their directive was to design in the longest and most expensive repairs for the simplest of issues.

They know the Corvette is a High Performance Sports car and the average idiot with $50K to blow is not going to balk at repair prices when something breaks

Where do I start?

Plastic Head light Gears - Could be made of Cheap Pot metal and would last longer

Clutch Bleeder burried inside the torque tube - Remotely located could eliminate 90% of Dealer fix

Oil Pressure Sensor High failure rate and UNDER the Intake Manifold - Easily accessible could eliminate 90% of Dealer fix.

There are three... Anyone feel free to add anymore?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gas gauge, traction control freak out, column lock, ****ty bose speakers, spark plug changes, steering rack removal, rear wheel bearings, climate control lights burn out...

should i continue on?? haahahah needless to say my car has been dissasembled and reassembled countless times now..
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
berryj
Drifting

Yep, the list is goes on. Fortunately we all love our beasts too much to consider anything else! I think even some of us love to fix things just to for the fun of it...even twice like me! This time, I took a moment (actually a couple hours) to clean the throttle body w/ carb cleaner, a little dremel action to smooth out some rough spots. I keep adding to the job a bit just to "spice" it up.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by briann510
WOW! Great engineering by GM to put it like that. If my gauge ever goes out because of the sender it can stay out.
had mine replaced..it died also...its fkin staying broke
Old 08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
had mine replaced..it died also...its fkin staying broke
I might be bold enough to do the same but I figure the cost to fix the button holes I would eat in the upholstery wondering about the pressure would cost more than replacing the sensor.

Charlie
Old 08-15-2006, 12:47 PM
BMG50
Racer

Guys, If you buy an after market oil pressure sender made by Standard Ign. part number PS-308, you wont be having any more problems...no, i dont work for them.....I think i might own the record for the shortest time on a NEW GM sender....23 hrs....installed Sunday at 9:00 am..cranked car Monday at 8:00 am to go to work, pegged in 10 minutes...That was 3rd GM part
Old 08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
W Muller
Advanced

I too used a Standard Ign. part number PS-308 about a year ago. No problems so far.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 PM
berryj
Drifting

Originally Posted by BMG50
Guys, If you buy an after market oil pressure sender made by Standard Ign. part number PS-308, you wont be having any more problems...no, i dont work for them.....I think i might own the record for the shortest time on a NEW GM sender....23 hrs....installed Sunday at 9:00 am..cranked car Monday at 8:00 am to go to work, pegged in 10 minutes...That was 3rd GM part
Where did u buy it from? Local auto store(which one?) or via net? Hopefully I won't have to go this route, but just in case. Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
sugarwolf
Pro

Originally Posted by berryj
Where did u buy it from? Local auto store(which one?) or via net? Hopefully I won't have to go this route, but just in case. Thanks
I would liek to know too. i need to repalce mine after the 3rd time now. Last one lasted for 2 whole days and it was from NAPA
Old 08-16-2006, 12:12 AM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuckster
Oil Pressure Sensor High failure rate and UNDER the Intake Manifold - Easily accessible could eliminate 90% of Dealer fix....
It's not under the intake manifold. It's BEHIND it, by the firewall.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:17 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Default Does that mean...

Originally Posted by EHS
It's not under the intake manifold. It's BEHIND it, by the firewall.
It isn't necessary to remove the manifold to swap out the sensor? If the manifold has to come off, it might as well be under it.

Charlie
Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS2 valley cover changed the mounting.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by cruisemon
It isn't necessary to remove the manifold to swap out the sensor? If the manifold has to come off, it might as well be under it.

Charlie
exactly.. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another..

Bottom line, is it's still On top of the motor in an inaccessible place..
Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

at least the plugs are easier to change than on an f-body

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced the oil pressure sensor, Again! Pics!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by cruisemon

Charlie
Give me a break -- rationalize it any way you want, Chuckster was wrong.

You have a forum member looking for advice on how to replace the thing, and you can't even tell him where he needs to look.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW -- you don't need to remove the intake manifold to replace it. This has been posted before. Take a look.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EHS
Give me a break -- rationalize it any way you want, Chuckster was wrong.

You have a forum member looking for advice on how to replace the thing, and you can't even tell him where he needs to look.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW -- you don't need to remove the intake manifold to replace it. This has been posted before. Take a look.
Chuckster didn't say the manifold had to come off. The thread originator, BERRYJ did. And he did it at least twice. Guess he should have looked for the thread that told him he didn't have to pull the manifold.

Charlie
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckster
GM is either has the dumbest engineers on their design team or the smartest...

I say the latter.. Their directive was to design in the longest and most expensive repairs for the simplest of issues.

They know the Corvette is a High Performance Sports car and the average idiot with $50K to blow is not going to balk at repair prices when something breaks

Where do I start?

Plastic Head light Gears - Could be made of Cheap Pot metal and would last longer

Clutch Bleeder burried inside the torque tube - Remotely located could eliminate 90% of Dealer fix

Oil Pressure Sensor High failure rate and UNDER the Intake Manifold - Easily accessible could eliminate 90% of Dealer fix.

There are three... Anyone feel free to add anymore?

Yeah there are a lot more, but I recently got flamed for bring them up. I am very dissapointed in GM's quality and engineering. I was raised a GM brat. Dad worked at the Tech Center from 55 to 85 when he retired. Does that mean I don't like GM products no not at all but the pea poor quality and design explains why the car company I grew up on is fast falling and soon will be number 2 behind Toyota. It just to sad to believe. It is a compnay that for far to long has been run by the bean counters and not by car guys.

Quick Reply: Replaced the oil pressure sensor, Again! Pics!