C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a real solution to "pull key, wait 10 seconds"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,927 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I had a total failure of the column lock system. I applied power directly to the motor to no avail. I shook the column vigorously. No go. The column lock motor appears to be out of commission.

I am now pulling the steering column apart to disable the entire system.

To anyone who still has their column lock running, don't do what I did, and wait until a total failure. Get the Column Lock Bypass, and get it installed. Also while your CLB is on order, be sure to park the car with the steering wheel perfectly straight ahead. If you don't you won't be able to get the airbag off, because the mounting screws will be blocked by the steering column. That means destruction of parts to get it apart! This is serious stuff, folks.

Michael
Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 PM
DRR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repeat...If you cleaned the terminals in the lock and the problem did not go away you may have poor connections at the ignition lock cyl or at the key resistor pellet sensing terminals, or corrosion on the grounding wires for the lock cyl or pass key ground. Good luck at the dealer. You may want to suggest they check the areas mentioned above.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Als98C5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DRR, we'll see what comes out of it. Keep you all posted

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a real solution to "pull key, wait 10 seconds"