C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reindexing HVAC actuators....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 AM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-28-2006, 10:39 AM
FletcherT76
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't got into it yet. It'll probably be a couple weeks due to other impending priorities - especially since this seems like a pretty lengthy task given all the stuff you have to take apart to get access to it.

I'll keep you posted if I do get around to it and hope someone else will do the same if they do the replacement.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 PM
TDOG_in_NC
Instructor

Thanks...

I would like to just remove the glove box ... but it may not be so easy ...

If anyone gets it done ... post up and let us know the easiest way ...

Thanks. .. ..
Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have this type of issue with 2001+? My 2001 Z06 is having this same issue (warmer driver side, cold passenger side). I going to check the codes when I leave work today and see if there is anything there. Was nice and cold on Saturday.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 PM
03 EB Z
Cruising

Default 03 Z06 with 0361 & 0441

I am experiencing the warmer temp on the drivers side when the left & right sides are supposed be to set at the same temperature and I get the 0361 & 0441 codes. They can be cleared by pressing reset and the actuators recalibrating the door travel can be heard, but most times the codes return. Occasionally they will clear for a while, but always seem to return after a day or two.

The latest instructions from GM (10-3-06) for the 1997 thru 2003 models suggests that the HVAC control module be replaced on 1997 thru 2000 model with the 2001 + unit. On models where this has already been done without improvement, and on 2001 thru 2003 models that have the newer control module, a reset/re-time of the actuator's internal feedback sensor can be performed. This can be done by opening the actuator and indexing one tooth counterclockwise. If this does not work because the counts still are not high enough on the low end, then index by one additional tooth as needed.

There is also discussion of the two types of actuators. "Current service actuators can not be re-timed. The current type actuator can be indentified by a "snap together" housing vs. a housing that has both halves joined by screws. A "screw together" service part is avaialble using P/N 89018539".
Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
FletcherT76
Instructor

Great information 03EBZ, where did you get the information from GM? Sounds like it would be a great source to have in the future for all of us.

Please pardon the uneducated question - but is the HVAC Control Module the entire HVAC unit, or is it some other part? Can anyone advise where I can get one or an approximate price range for the replacement module?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:51 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

I checked for codes last night...no HVAC codes. I unhooked the battery for 10 minutes this morning...no change. Now, if I am sitting at a light, the driver side will start to cool down to almost the same temp as the passenger side. But, once I start moving, the driver side warms up quickly. I have not had a chance to go through the diagnostic manuals to see if I can figure out what is going on. If anyone has some clues or has had similar issues, please let me know what your fix was. Thanks!!

FletcherT76, I did check on what the cost would be for a new HVAC unit...Ecklers has them on backorder for $280 (didn't check anywhere else, yet) for the electronic control and $380 for manual! For once an option I have is cheaper than the standard unit.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
03 EB Z
Cruising

Originally Posted by FletcherT76
Great information 03EBZ, where did you get the information from GM? Sounds like it would be a great source to have in the future for all of us.

Please pardon the uneducated question - but is the HVAC Control Module the entire HVAC unit, or is it some other part? Can anyone advise where I can get one or an approximate price range for the replacement module?
Fletch,
I received this info from my local dealer. I had read that there was an internal TSB on this issue and asked them if the fix was mechanical (tear the dash apart) or electrical (reprogramming). He pulled up the document dated 10/3/06 which confirmed the indexing of the gears as descibed in this thread. Researching the internet reveals that this problem is also found on the Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, & GMC Envoy. They apparently use the same actuator. New acutuators can be purchased online any where from $25 on up. Mine seems to be working properly the last few days, but I haven't had the fresh air temp adjusted as low as I did when the weather was warmer, so maybe it is not getting out of range.

Last edited by 03 EB Z; 11-01-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
FletcherT76
Instructor

Thanks for the info EB. I think for now I may just try replacing the HVAC module with a 2001+ version as one of the buttons on mine is cracked and looks bad when the backlights are on. Plus I'm not real excited about pulling my dash completely apart!

Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 03 EB Z
I am experiencing the warmer temp on the drivers side when the left & right sides are supposed be to set at the same temperature and I get the 0361 & 0441 codes. They can be cleared by pressing reset and the actuators recalibrating the door travel can be heard, but most times the codes return. Occasionally they will clear for a while, but always seem to return after a day or two.

The latest instructions from GM (10-3-06) for the 1997 thru 2003 models suggests that the HVAC control module be replaced on 1997 thru 2000 model with the 2001 + unit. On models where this has already been done without improvement, and on 2001 thru 2003 models that have the newer control module, a reset/re-time of the actuator's internal feedback sensor can be performed. This can be done by opening the actuator and indexing one tooth counterclockwise. If this does not work because the counts still are not high enough on the low end, then index by one additional tooth as needed.

There is also discussion of the two types of actuators. "Current service actuators can not be re-timed. The current type actuator can be indentified by a "snap together" housing vs. a housing that has both halves joined by screws. A "screw together" service part is avaialble using P/N 89018539".
GREAT information! The control module is pretty much in line with my original post (actually on the web page). I didn't know about the two different part #'s that were available for the actuator. That is GREAT information. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
03 EB Z
Cruising

Glad to help. This seems to be a common problem. The part also appears to be listed under AC/Delco #15-73044

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

Not exactly sure which model years use the "current service actuator" or the part number, but these can not be re-timed.

Your write up with photos is very detailed. I may be needing it if this problem returns. Thanks for the instructions.

Last edited by 03 EB Z; 11-01-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

GREAT INFO and thanks for doing the research!! This is another thing that i will add to my collection of great C5 post!!

BC
Old 11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
FletcherT76
Instructor

One last question - I promise!

If I go ahead and pull the trigger on just buying a whole new HVAC control module (2001+ of course as I have a 2000) - will that likely resolve my issue? Does the newer module force the actuators back in place, or am I better off just trying to take the car apart and replace the actuator? I just don't want to pick up the new module only to still have the same problem.

(I'm not opposed to the idea of replacing the control module because the rear defroster button on my has a chunck missing in the middle of the button and looks pretty nasty at night when the backlight is on.)

Thanks to everyone for their input on this!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

One last question - I promise!

If I go ahead and pull the trigger on just buying a whole new HVAC control module (2001+ of course as I have a 2000) - will that likely resolve my issue? Does the newer module force the actuators back in place, or am I better off just trying to take the car apart and replace the actuator? I just don't want to pick up the new module only to still have the same problem.

(I'm not opposed to the idea of replacing the control module because the rear defroster button on my has a chunck missing in the middle of the button and looks pretty nasty at night when the backlight is on.)

Thanks to everyone for their input on this!
Per GM, it can help, but if you keep constantly getting the code, you might have another problem. Broken gears in the actuators aren't uncommon.

My personal opinion : I think if it's a sporatic problem that you can temporarily fix by pulling the battery cable, it might help, but a continuous problem is probably something more serious.

Last edited by JR_VETTE; 11-03-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by 03 EB Z
Glad to help. This seems to be a common problem. The part also appears to be listed under AC/Delco #15-73044

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

Not exactly sure which model years use the "current service actuator" or the part number, but these can not be re-timed.

Your write up with photos is very detailed. I may be needing it if this problem returns. Thanks for the instructions.
Thanks once again for your additional information on this!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 AM
new1252b
Cruising

Default Great write up on the left actuator

This is an excellant step by step write up. I followed it this weekend and have finally beat the HAVC coeds. I purchased a new actuator from the dealer ($51) before I started the project just in case I needed to replace it and I am glad I did! Once I got the actutor out I found that the main gear had split inside of the actuator. The project took about 4 hours but saved me $500 on what the dealership wanted to charge me.

I also replaced my havc control center with a 2002 model that has a newer chip in it on ebay for $200. My ac/heat has never worked so well!

Thanks for a great step by step write up!!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Got mine back up and running this past weekend. Turns out my system was just a little low on freon. 1/2 can, blowing ice cold now.

Get notified of new replies

To Reindexing HVAC actuators....

Old 11-15-2006, 04:49 PM
FletcherT76
Instructor

Default Here we go...

I just purchased an HVAC Control Module and both actuators from someone here on the forum (thanks Kenney!) and they should be here by the weekend. I'm planning on replacing both the drivers side and passenger side actuators, even though the passenger side is the only problematic one. I figure why go through this again if I'm already going to be getting into it?

I'm hoping I can get to the actuators through the HVAC/Radio area and not have to go through the headache of removing the dashpad and all that - but we'll see.

I'm planning on doing a write-up with pics so keep an eye out for it...that is if I can get it done!!

Wish me luck!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:34 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

I just purchased an HVAC Control Module and both actuators from someone here on the forum (thanks Kenney!) and they should be here by the weekend. I'm planning on replacing both the drivers side and passenger side actuators, even though the passenger side is the only problematic one. I figure why go through this again if I'm already going to be getting into it?

I'm hoping I can get to the actuators through the HVAC/Radio area and not have to go through the headache of removing the dashpad and all that - but we'll see.

I'm planning on doing a write-up with pics so keep an eye out for it...that is if I can get it done!!

Wish me luck!
I (and a few others in this thread) are particularly interested in seeing how you get to the passenger side actuator.

Good luck with your swap out.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
FletcherT76
Instructor

Can anyone tell me how to get this off the drivers side kick panel? It's on the back of the kick panel and is a metal post with a washer like metal plate basically just forced onto it. I've pulled and yanked but it won't come off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  img027.jpg
Views: 3348
Size:  50.7 KB

Progress Report: Not good. It doesn't appear that you can get to the passenger side actuator through the glove box. I'm still working on it so I'll let you know for sure.

T

Quick Reply: Reindexing HVAC actuators....