C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reindexing HVAC actuators....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Updated with a few forum posts I found out about today. Shoot me a PM if you ever need this updated.
The following users liked this post:
ElberGuudo (07-19-2016)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
styx
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shameless 'I found this tread and it helped me' bump. Thanks to all that played along the way.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Is everybody pretty much sure the 2000+ head unit works in a 1998 car?

The 1998 Delco part number is 15-72513; Amazon wants $239 for it;

The 2000+ part number is 15-72949; $236 at Amazon.

I'm going to order one but I need another confirm, the 2000+ unit works fine in a 1998 car.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for this thread and others like them..... I finally decided to deal with my code for the driver's side actuator.... pulled it out and rotated the gear 2 teeth counter clockwise.... drove for a couple of hours today, got home, and no codes.....

thanks for the help
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
Pete,

Thank you so much.

I'll get one ordered up and we'll see how it goes. Worst case, I should be able to swap the olds guts into the vette actuator case.

I'll post up for sure as soon as it's in and the AC is blowing ice cold with no codes(on both sides lol)
00Corvette,

Was there every any resolution on this topic?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by JR_VETTE
After battling B0441 and B0361 HVAC codes off and on for several years , I finally decided to do something about it. After searching the helpful CF.com, I stumbled upon a thread where forum member YO-EL responded to someone that was having the same problem that the Actuator simply needed to be reindexed. Since then, I have done some additional research, and have performed and documented reindexing the drivers side HVAC door. I see WAY too many threads here where people are getting these same codes, and other members WRONGLY tell them to add more Freon . The above codes have NOTHING at all do to with Freon!

Anyway, long story short, I created a webpage documenting my experience with the codes, how to remove, reindex and reinstall the drivers side actuator and what seemed to cause my codes to popup. For some reason, the drivers side actuator seems to be the one that always acts up. There is probably more to determining how many 'teeth' to index by, or what direction to turn the Actuator drive gear, but from others that have reindexed, 2 teeth counter-clockwise seems to be the way to go. If anybody has more information regarding this, please PM or reply to this thread.

If you need to reindex the passenger actuator, you're on your own. The process is probably similar, I just can't tell you which way to reindex, and how many teeth.

I thought this might help those who are running into this problem. The usual disclaimers, etc....

Dont' blast me over the page....it's a first draft, and I probably left something out in the removal instructions.

Link

Other great posts in this thread :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...9&postcount=65
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1&postcount=68

Other great posts on the forum (updated 2/14/2011)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...actuators.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-indexing.html

EDIT - 12/26/2006 - I would like to just post a little update. So far, my actuator has worked flawlessly since this post was first made. So, I know now for a fact that reindexing is a sure fix. Also, I have received a few PM's over the past few months asking various questions. I would like to state that this project is pretty time consuming. If you page through this thread, you'll see another post where someone did the passenger side actuator by pulling the dash pad. It also looks to be a nightmare. So, if you have a weak stomach for tearing your car apart, please take it to the dealer. This requires someone with patience and small hands to get into tight places. If you can't lay on your back in a ackward position for extended periods of time, you should also pass on tackling this.

Long story short, I really just want to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into if you decide to tackle reindexing/swapping the actuator.

Edit - 2/14/2011 - While I don't have a C5 any longer, I am more than happy to keep this thread updated for you guys. Just shoot me a PM if you would like me to add links to any threads.
Gonna do this so subscribing!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
flashback
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks to all that posted on this issue. very helpful info.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the help
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
bastexvette
Advanced

How do you go about hooking a power source to a uninstalled acuator to see if it operates?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

After stumbling upon this thread, I realized I too had the anomoly of mix-matched AC/Heat.

In my case, the Air Conditioning was working flawlessly out the center vents and the left side vents. The right side (passenger side) two vents that are above and left and right of the glove compartment were warm.

Set my driver side climate control **** to 75. (Half way between 60 and 90)

Set the passenger side climate control to the dead center position. (50% Cold / 50% Hot)

Turned off Air Conditioning.

Shut off car.

Removed Fuse #27 and Fuse #18.

Let car sit.

Put both fuses back in. #18 First. #27 Second.

Started vehicle and heard the HVAC resetting/calibrating itself.

Somewhere along this trial/error I turned my passenger side climate control to hot and my HVAC reset itself. I was not receiving cold AC through all vents consistantly.

This went on for about 2 days and then it went back to passenger side blowing warm air. Hmmmm. I tried resetting everything again, but it stays in that mode now.

Crazy.
The following users liked this post:
mackey (04-03-2017)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
SGNHERE
Intermediate

So I have the cold air passenger side hot air driver side in the
a/c mode and the opposite in heater mode, when I manually turn the actuator door it's all good.
So I replaced the Actuator last week I'm now getting warm air to the driver and passenger side in heat mode and a little bit of cold air in the A/C mode but the driver side is not nearly as cold as the passenger side in A/C mode. So I decided to re index my old one as it appears to have gears that are in order, after indexing it I re installed it and no Good, back to my original problem. So now I've got the old one back out (I'm getting good at changing out that actuator but I don't like doing it) and I'm not sure I want to put the new one back in just to have to swap it out again later, I'm considering just leaving the door in the A/C mode for the summer and leaving the actuator off, but that's pretty hokie. Any suggestions? Yes I'm
getting the usual codes associated with this problem. Will a new control unit fix the problem with my new actuator?

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread is going to save me!

My passenger side actuator has been 'ticking' for a while, the passenger side doesn't blow out cold air.

Since I drive with the top down 99% of the time, I never use the A/C. When my wife takes the car she puts the top up, and the drivers side A/C works fine (even though the passenger pumps out hot air).

I'll order the passenger actuator and replace it, I'm sure the ticking sound combined with the symptom of the passenger side not changing temps while the drivers side does points to a broken actuator.

BUT I have a question, since this is ran off of vacuum, will having twin turbos cause any issues with HVAC? I use the turbos a lot, so I often see boost instead of vacuum. Could that cause problems with the HVAC vacuum lines?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just reindexed my drivers side act 2 weeks ago, working great, accessed it by removing the gauge cluster, luckily the previous owner had the pass side replaced by the dealer 2 months ago at a cost of $800!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

My $49 actuator off of Amazon came in yesterday so I roped my daughter in to spending the afternoon in the garage with me. It took about 45 minutes to remove the dash and access the passenger side actuator following the link in this thread. I opened the broken part just to verify that it was the problem, my main plastic gear was literally split in two (Yes! nothing better than replacing a known broken part with a new part, no guess work involved after that).

I took the time to clean under the dash and inside the vents, and then put everything back together. Works perfectly, both zones are not fully functional!

Corvette Forum saves the day once again.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Lil Red
Racer

My (2) passenger side vents are always blowing hot while the (2) driver side vents blow cold so it appears my pass side actuator is bad. Can someone please send/post the link for detailed instructions on how to remove the dash to access the passenger side actuator?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 AM
ElberGuudo
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JR_VETTE
Updated with a few forum posts I found out about today. Shoot me a PM if you ever need this updated.
Any chance you could please update or re-host your original link to driver side removal procedure ?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
RogerArrambide
Racer

I can't find in the entire post the location of the drivers actuator!!

Get notified of new replies

To Reindexing HVAC actuators....

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Drivers foot well... Remove the under dash close out panel. Look on the SIDE of the air box.

Name:  BothActuatorsindash.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  77.5 KB

You dont have to remove the dash pad but this is posted just to show you where it is.

Name:  DSCF0039.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  110.8 KB
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 AM
RogerArrambide
Racer

hey guys, I have a C5 98 with only 10,000miles on it, so may imagine that is really low use, always in Garage and everything works as new, well, some parts replaced by the pass of the years nor the use of the car, headlight gear and some other.

Well, About a month Ago, I noticed this problem and reading the forum, maked me have a deep breath and take of the RAdio, head HVAC unit, Cluster, etc etc (I know, I could just taked off the kick panel but well,....)

The thing is:

I just spent the whole day trying to reach this device and finally did it!!

Yes, the biggest gear inside the device are cracked just as the picture you share, well, now, I did the procedure of fill or use epoxy product and installed again keeping on mind to leave backwards the cracked part looking to avoid the reach of that part in the normal Operation BUT, the problems persist!!!

My main problem is:

if I put the temp in the coolest, I'm sure is cooler on the passenger side than drivers, but most important, is, if I increase 8-10 degrees, immediately blow very hot air at drivers side, I went down the dash to see if the actuadores ir working and it does, so right now I'm not sure If the problem could be another thing or maybe the internal operation of the actuator?

guys, please help..

Beste regards.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

I saw on the thread opener a reference to YO-EL - will look forward to seeing him (Ellis) at the drags (Englishtown) in a few weeks when the snow melts - our cars (from the outside) look just about identical - but his entire drivetrain has been done - he's a contender on the Wednesday night bracket shootouts!

Quick Reply: Reindexing HVAC actuators....