C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Bypass ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 10:29 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Throttle Body Bypass ?? (Buckmaster)

I wouldn't do it where you live! If you lived in the south or some place it doesn't get cold then it will give you a little extra 1/2hp max
Best of luck!
T
Old 09-05-2001, 10:37 PM
Power Shifter
Melting Slicks

It's a smal gain but only tacks 10min to do it. I ran my car all last winter and dident have a problem. 10min to go back to stock in winter if you want to. You can find the right size "barb" in the hardware store for 1-2 bucks. Ric
Old 09-05-2001, 10:38 PM
Tiger Shark
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this simple mod worth it? Will it have any negative affect by the coolant NOT running through the TB? It does for a reason I would guess. Thanks
It depends on the climate at your location. Some owners in colder areas need the throttle body warmed so that it will operate correctly.
GM makes it generic to work everywhere, so that's why it's like that on all C5s (and other makes). Down in the South, we don't need it, so that's why I'm bypassing the coolant later this week. The principal behind it is that the hot coolant warming the throttle body actually heats the air to an extent as it passes through the throttle body. Cooler air equates to increased horsepower, so bypassing the coolant (if appropriate for your location) should give you a little bit cooler air. The Forum Mall has it for $10 on sale. I paid $20 for mine. It's a cheap and easy mod. Might get 1 or 2 hp increase from it depending on circumstances.
Old 09-06-2001, 04:18 AM
c5magred2
Racer

Default Re: Throttle Body Bypass ?? (TargaC5)

if you decide to install this mod,purchase a set of rubber vaccum caps.install them over the inlet and outlet of the t.b. to keep dust ,dirt etc... out. :yesnod:
Old 09-06-2001, 01:55 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This mod is probably a waste of time, especially where you live. Use your time to detail it instead! :yesnod:

[Modified by carpe dm, 11:56 AM 9/6/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Body Bypass ??

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Bypass ??