C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta question for all you physics majors

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 PM
96-speed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cenzo
Obviously you guys were asleep during physics class!

The pass from East to West will be quicker since you have to consider the speed and distance of the earth's rotation under the car. In effect, the finish line will have moved closer during the East/West run and farther away during the West/East run. Basic Physics 101, no? Relativity is irrelevant here.
The finish line isn't moving closer to the car. That is completely wrong. Ask yourself: How could the finishline move closer to the car, assuming the car is at a stand still?

The whole dragstrip/car/everything on the earth is rotating together.

Relativity is irrelevant? Frictionless bearings? The car is floating? Keep going, you're cracking me up!

Ryan

Last edited by 96-speed; 07-25-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Sundevil
Instructor

Man, you all have completely missed this one. You just think your drag racing when in fact, you are simply plugged into a program generated by the matrix . Think about it, why else would the ricers 'think' they can take a Vette!! Rotation of the Earth is irrelevant when you're simply part of a field of batteries!

Jeez, I think I've really lost it now. I gotta lay down!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if you're aiming east and spinning your wheels, wouldn't you be slowing down the Earth's rotation by a small amount? Why would you want to do that? It's bad enough that the government wants to get rid of leap seconds - and now you're adding a whole new problem to that issue!

- Wisdom
Old 07-26-2006, 06:13 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96-speed
The finish line isn't moving closer to the car. That is completely wrong. Ask yourself: How could the finishline move closer to the car, assuming the car is at a stand still?

The whole dragstrip/car/everything on the earth is rotating together.

Relativity is irrelevant? Frictionless bearings? The car is floating? Keep going, you're cracking me up!

Ryan
Not only are you conceptually bamkrupt Sir, but your reading comprehension is suspect as well. These afflictions seem to be on the increase, particularly in the Southwest.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:21 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wisdom
But if you're aiming east and spinning your wheels, wouldn't you be slowing down the Earth's rotation by a small amount? Why would you want to do that? It's bad enough that the government wants to get rid of leap seconds - and now you're adding a whole new problem to that issue!

- Wisdom
This is absolutely true Wisdom. An Eastward burnout will slow the Earth's rotation significantly. You are a man of vision as well as wisdom - a truly rare combo indeed.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 AM
JCR
Burning Brakes

When you can define time I will show you how it relates to Quantum physics. I am prepared to wait.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Now it's obvious that some folks here are just having fun with this topic, but it's hard to tell with others......

PLEASE, PLEASE, restore my faith in you guys. Tell me you are kidding. There's no one here that REALLY BELIEVES there will be a difference...... Is there?????
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
cenzo
Drifting

I am having FUN!
I do believe there is a difference, it's just not measurable - Nor will it have any effect on the outcome of a 1/4 mile event.
I AM having fun.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
DirtyRed
Instructor

I think everyone is not taking into acount that though the earth spins on it's axis it also rotates around the sun. the sun is in a system that rotates around a galaxy and so on and so on. My point is that at these rotational forces act equally on all bodies at a fixed point in space (x Y axis). The force that causes acceleration is the friction of the tires on the surface of the earth. Cars don't have enough mass to cause the eath to change direction that's wy the car moves and the earth does not. So, on the surface of the earth no matter what direction you travel the direction of the rotation of the earth does not effect E.T.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Wisdom

- Wisdom

It depends, if someone is breaking wind in the other direction it will cancel out any effect.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
nwdanner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boeingman
If your time keeper was standing on the planet earth, no, time would not be efected as observed on the ground. However, if your time keeper was standing, or say floating, motionless in outer space somewhere then yes, your quarter mile times will be efected as observed by him out there in space.

I think Einstien's relativity theory explains this in better detail.

For a better example. Say your in an airplane playing catch while the aircraft is in flight and traveling at a great velocity. As you throw the ball say 50 ft inside the tube you can note the time that passes for the ball to travel this 50ft as you observed from inside the aircraft.

However, if you had a guy standing on the ground measuring the time and distance and he somehow had xray vision and really good distant vision he could see when you released the ball and when the ball made it to the 50ft mark (50ft mark over the ground). Now since the speed of the aircraft assited the trajectory of the ball by the speed of the aircraft itself, the 50 ft distance the ball travels is so much more quicker than when mesured from inside the aircraft.

It all depends on where you mesure from , be it time or distance...Relativety thank you Einstien

Hope I didn't confuse
Matt
Well said! It's all about "frame of reference".
Old 07-27-2006, 11:37 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Originally Posted by nwdanner
Well said! It's all about "frame of reference".
In the above scenario,
can someone explain to me why the time it takes for the ball to travel from POINT A to POINT B would be different whether your measuring from in the plane, on the moon or floating in space??

While you're at it, tell me if the the ball's ET will be the same if thrown from front to back as if thrown back to front.

Thanks in Advance,
Vince
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
nwdanner
Burning Brakes

In the above scenario,
can someone explain to me why the time it takes for the ball to travel from POINT A to POINT B would be different whether your measuring from in the plane, on the moon or floating in space??

While you're at it, tell me if the the ball's ET will be the same if thrown from front to back as if thrown back to front.

Thanks in Advance,
Vince
Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia...e_of_reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_of_reference

Last edited by nwdanner; 07-27-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:46 PM
cenzo
Drifting

Hi nwdanner.
I've read the links provided. Could you point out which part relates to Elapsed Time vs observation point? I'm really not as smart as I think I am.

Thanks again,
Vince
Old 07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
nwdanner
Burning Brakes

Hi nwdanner.
I've read the links provided. Could you point out which part relates to Elapsed Time vs observation point? I'm really not as smart as I think I am.

Thanks again,
Vince
Hi Vince,

It's nice to see interest in this stuff. This very topic, along with Quantum/String theory, facinate me more than anything else (Corvettes included, but don't tell other forum members ). In fact, my "library room" at home has more science mags in it than car mags. I'm definitely no expert, just an "enthusiast" of the topic.

I tried to write up a nice analogy to explain it, but there are MANY other papers/sites out there which do a better job of it. Just go to Google/Yahoo and do some searches. For example, HowStuffWorks.com has a nice overview of this topic, which is available here: http://science.howstuffworks.com/relativity.htm

In short, the observation of time T between points A and B *appears* constant as long as the reference frames are traveling relative to each other at very small fractions of the speed of light. As noone can throw a ball, drive a car, or otherwise travel between points A and B anywhere near the speed of light, T will *appear* to be constant.

Again, there are TONS of books/websites out there which attempt to explain it. If you have time, dig into it. It's quite facinating and enlightening.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
cenzo
Drifting

I didn't think so. But thanks anyway.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

O.K., I read this thread and this is too much to comprehend in one comprehension!

Quick Reply: Gotta question for all you physics majors