C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a Yank Torque Converter...great info on the forum!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 AM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a Yank Torque Converter...great info on the forum!

Well it had to come sooner or later...it just came sooner than I thought The itch to mod some more

Here is a link to my current set up done through Andy at A&A Corvette

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...500&forum_id=1

So now I'm going to change out the current 3.15 rear to a 3.42 and based on all the reading I've done on the forum and a chat with Yank I have narrowed it down to either a Yank SS3200 (2.1 STR) or a SS3600 (2.5 STR).

It seems the SS3600 is the best for all out acceleration and performance and still drivable on the streets with a 3.42. I'm sure there is still some looseness, but probably no where near as bad as the TCs from even 10 years ago (which was my last experience with a higher stall TC...didn't like it.).

But now my question is what if I went with a SS3200? Thoughts on pros/cons? How much performance am I giving up and would I gain even more drivability and even less looseness?

Another way of asking is: what is the real delta between the SS3200 and the SS3600 for my set-up?

The car is mainly driven on the streets, but I want to start hitting the track 4 or more times a year and that would be exploring drag racing, auto cross, and road race courses (I know I should have gotten a 6sp...oh well gotta play with what I got now )

I also assume a Tranny cooler is needed for either TC, right?

Would love to hear your thoughts before I pull the trigger.

thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Mitch C
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SS3200 and 3.42 gears will be 1-2 tenths slower in the 1/4 mile than the SS3600 & 3.42 gears. The SS3200 will feel a bit tighter than the SS3600. However the 3600 will still have excellent street manners.
If you think that you might be doing H/C or cam only at some point definately go with the SS3600
Old 07-19-2006, 05:09 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

The 3600 is definitely the way to go. If it were my engine though, I'd go with at least a 4200.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Mitchell and Mike, first off let me say "thank you" for responding to my post. During my reading up on TCs on the forum, both your names popped up regularly as contributors and so thanks for responding to "yet another" converter post. In fact your contributions to other threads helped me to narrow and refine my final choices.

Mitchell - The car already has quite a bit of work done to it...some highlights:

Shortblock-
-LS2 Block with all forged internals
-Bore and Stroke 4” x 4”
-11:1 compression

Cylinder Heads and Valvetrain-
-ETP G III LS1 11º 225cc (intake valve 2.080” exhaust valve 1.570”)
-Chamber volume: 66cc
-Comp Cams X-ER grind 224-228 duration 114 LSA. .581 intake and .588 exhaust. 1° of advance ground in

Intake-
-Halltech Stinger
-90mm Throttle Body (LS2 ported)
-LSX Fast Intake Manifold
-SVO (Bosch) 30lb fuel injectors

Exhaust-
-LGM Headers (1 ¾” primaries) with hi-flow Cats.
-Z06 Ti Muffler

Driveline-
-FLP Level IV Transmission

Rear Wheel dyno numbers were 477 rwhp and 486 rwtq. So I guess based on that your vote leans towards the SS3600 and if the street manners between the 3200 and the 3600 are close then more performance with the 3600 does seem to make sense.

Mike- Another vote for the SS3600. BTW nice runs in your videos thats where the 4200 would come in huh? With the SS3600 I guess there is a part of me that worries that it "sounds" like too much stall for the street and that while it'll rock at the track, it may be annoying on the street. I'll have to convince myself that converter technology has come along way in the last 10-15 years.

And here is another question...if I end up doing more road racing than drag racing would that affect whether the 3200 or 3600 is better?

thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Dr. Pham]Well it had to come sooner or later...it just came sooner than I thought The itch to mod some more

Here is a link to my current set up done through Andy at A&A Corvette

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...500&forum_id=1

So now I'm going to change out the current 3.15 rear to a 3.42 and based on all the reading I've done on the forum and a chat with Yank I have narrowed it down to either a Yank SS3200 (2.1 STR) or a SS3600 (2.5 STR).

It seems the SS3600 is the best for all out acceleration and performance and still drivable on the streets with a 3.42. I'm sure there is still some looseness, but probably no where near as bad as the TCs from even 10 years ago (which was my last experience with a higher stall TC...didn't like it.).

But now my question is what if I went with a SS3200? Thoughts on pros/cons? How much performance am I giving up and would I gain even more drivability and even less looseness?

Another way of asking is: what is the real delta between the SS3200 and the SS3600 for my set-up?

The car is mainly driven on the streets, but I want to start hitting the track 4 or more times a year and that would be exploring drag racing, auto cross, and road race courses (I know I should have gotten a 6sp...oh well gotta play with what I got now )

I also assume a Tranny cooler is needed for either TC, right?

Would love to hear your thoughts before I pull the trigger.

thanks![/QUOTE

I have the SS3600 TC with 3.73 gears. I got used to it in a week.My car is a DD and mostly city traffic(12k/year) My wife is in the car with me 95% of the time( I'm retired) and she has never even noticed it.However I do take it to the strip at least 4 times a year and it really hits hard.I have run 1.6xx 60 ft times(with DRs) with just headers and a intake.Get the 3600 TC you will love it.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Thanks for the reply Richard. I'm sure the 3.73 gears help off set some of the looseness. I'll be running 3.42 so it may be a little worse for me.

You said it took you a week to get use to it. What were your first impressions right after you had it done and before you were use to it.

Also has your wife driven your car? And if so, has she commented on extra effort required during low speeds?

thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Pham
Thanks for the reply Richard. I'm sure the 3.73 gears help off set some of the looseness. I'll be running 3.42 so it may be a little worse for me.

You said it took you a week to get use to it. What were your first impressions right after you had it done and before you were use to it.

Also has your wife driven your car? And if so, has she commented on extra effort required during low speeds?

thanks.
I went from a stock TC and 3.73 gears to the 3600 stall.The stock combo with the 3.73 was extremly tight, so yes it did feel a little loose.My wife has only driven the car a handful of times and she normaly drives a Neon so she did not make any comments about loosness. The throttle response is very good with this combo and the car jumps with the slightest throttle movement.I let a friend(2000 C5 driver) drive the car to help him make up his mind on the 3600 stall and he was so impressed he bought one .He has 3.42 gears and is happy with his setup.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Thanks Richard, very good to know! Always love hearing about experiences in the real world.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

thanks.

I have a H/C setup and still have the stock 2.73 gears along with a Yank SS3200 converter. It drives just like stock in my opinion with 'normal' driving.....but transforms into a real beast when the "go pedal" is pushed down further.

I don't think you'd have any problems with the 3200 with your 3.42 gears....however, if performance is your goal, go with the 3600......it'd still act pretty much like stock around town with 'normal driving'.....but might cost you a bit more each time you gas up, though.

And don't forget a good tranny cooler as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Thanks Karl...so it really sounds like the SS3600 is the way to go just to know I got the most out of the performance angle. I don't want to be regreting it later when I'm trying to see if I can cut another .1 or .2 off my 1/4 mile time

Recommendations on a tranny cooler?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks Karl...so it really sounds like the SS3600 is the way to go just to know I got the most out of the performance angle. I don't want to be regreting it later when I'm trying to see if I can cut another .1 or .2 off my 1/4 mile time

Recommendations on a tranny cooler?
I had a B&M 18k unit on, but in my opinion, it just wasn't getting the job done, so I swapped it for a Hayden 24k and that works better for me, at least.

You may get better "mileage" from the B&M, as that seems to be the forum favorite.

I see you asked that other poster his "first impressions" of the TC after it was installed.....

.....I can tell you after I had mine put in and took it out for a test drive, the first word out of my mouth was, "Jesus".....

.....let's just say that at least with the 2.73 gears, the difference was "dramatic".

I don't think the impression with your 3.42 gears will be quite as dramatic (because you're already closer to the power band than mine would be), but it should still get your attention real quick, when it kicks in and slams you back in your seat.

Last edited by MagikDraggin; 07-20-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 PM
franny40
Instructor

i too am also going to go with the 3.42 and ss3600 stall when i get the chance, i am running a 3500 2.5str with 2.73 on my z28 and i love it, so i would guess the 3.42 & 3600 stall would be awesome in a vette. tell me hoe it goes.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MagikDraggin
I have a H/C setup and still have the stock 2.73 gears along with a Yank SS3200 converter. It drives just like stock in my opinion with 'normal' driving.....but transforms into a real beast when the "go pedal" is pushed down further.

I don't think you'd have any problems with the 3200 with your 3.42 gears....however, if performance is your goal, go with the 3600......it'd still act pretty much like stock around town with 'normal driving'.....but might cost you a bit more each time you gas up, though.

And don't forget a good tranny cooler as well.
What rpm are you shifting at with your current cam? I'm thinkin of a similar LIFT cam for my A4.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by will82
What rpm are you shifting at with your current cam? I'm thinkin of a similar LIFT cam for my A4.

6150 RPM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

And here is another question...if I end up doing more road racing than drag racing would that affect whether the 3200 or 3600 is better?
Remember when I saw you at A&A ....... I told you I thought 3.42 gears were in your future!!

Anyways let me give you some advise that you haven't heard yet. Check out my sig for mods. I do road race ........and can tell you that you can look forward to burning up your Level 4 tranny as I just did That was with a tranny cooler (large Setrab) and only a 2400 stall converter.

I am in the process of trying to get my tranny temps down or keeping a spare tranny in the garage

DH
Old 07-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Karl- Both the B&M and the Hayden look like robust units. I think BM also makes a version rated higher than 18k. Overall the "stacked plate" design seems to be the way to go regardless of brand. And thanks for your real world impression. Time to order this TC in the morning

franny40 - my plan is to have this done over the next few weeks so I'll report back how it goes
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Dr. Pham
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Remember when I saw you at A&A ....... I told you I thought 3.42 gears were in your future!!

Anyways let me give you some advise that you haven't heard yet. Check out my sig for mods. I do road race ........and can tell you that you can look forward to burning up your Level 4 tranny as I just did That was with a tranny cooler (large Setrab) and only a 2400 stall converter.

I am in the process of trying to get my tranny temps down or keeping a spare tranny in the garage

DH
HOWIE! What's up?! Yea you were right about the 3.42...as well as mentioning the torque converter...this thing never ends.

About the road race thing...that is terrible...burning up your trans!

What happened? I thought the Level IV's were suppose to be pretty hardcore? Have you tracked down the best way to keep auto's alive while road racing or are they just not designed to last under those conditions?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Lowering your fan turn on temps will keep the trans cooler also.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

HOWIE! What's up?! Yea you were right about the 3.42...as well as mentioning the torque converter...this thing never ends.

About the road race thing...that is terrible...burning up your trans!

What happened? I thought the Level IV's were suppose to be pretty hardcore? Have you tracked down the best way to keep auto's alive while road racing or are they just not designed to last under those conditions?
Well what I was trying to tell you is that the heat gets them. And tracking with a high torque converter makes lots more heat...

Level 4 or Level 5 does not matter when it comes to heat as I just found out

What ever you decide try to get out to WSIR ..... see you on the track I hope

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a Yank Torque Converter...great info on the forum!

Quick Reply: Time for a Yank Torque Converter...great info on the forum!