C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolsters Don't Inflate - Patch/Repair Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Bolsters Don't Inflate - Patch/Repair Kit?

Side bolsters on drivers seat don't inflate. Pump pumps but no inflation. I'm guessing there's a hole? Took the seat out and couldn't see a hose off or other visible issues.

Dealer said about $560 for new bolsters!?!?!?!

I believe I read their is a patch/repair kit available. Can anyone lead me in the right direction or provide a part number?

Any other suggestions or has anyone else had this problem?

Rick
Old 07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Lovin It!!! - C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you accidentally double posted. You might want to pull this one.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:32 PM
usd2sing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im also in search of a new bladder. for the bolster.
i have done the waterbed repair/patch thing in the past, but it finally gave way at a local autox event....
i actually felt it pop on a hard left hander...

post up if you find somebody that has spare bladders they'd be willing to part with.....i only need 1.
FYI, the back section bladders look identical to the bolster ones. so i dont see a prob with using the ones from the back section..
Old 07-08-2006, 11:47 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

FYI, pulled out the service manual for my car which is a 2001. On the 2001 the upper & lower lumbar and side bolster bags are a one piece unit. If you replace one you replace them all. In other words, all 4 bags are one integral piece.

I don't know which other model years have it as one unit.....

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 12:15 AM
usd2sing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rikhek
FYI, pulled out the service manual for my car which is a 2001. On the 2001 the upper & lower lumbar and side bolster bags are a one piece unit. If you replace one you replace them all. In other words, all 4 bags are one integral piece.

I don't know which other model years have it as one unit.....

Rick
my 2000 has seperates...the hoses/tubes come off of each bladder.

i see what your referring too...the bladders come off the white plastic support thingy...they just slip onto it..

Last edited by usd2sing; 07-09-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:32 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bolters don't work either, lumbar works fine. Hoping its just a tube but have yet to check. This is on both of my seats, drivers and passengers.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 AM
usd2sing
Burning Brakes

im considering robbing my pass seat bolster air bags to install on the dr side since i would rarely ever have a pass with me when feelin frisky behind the wheel...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Problem on drivers seat bolster found and fixed at zero cost, just my time.

Took the seat back insert off (i.e., the part of the seat with "Corvette" embroidered on it) using the instructions available on vette essentials.com. Then removed the 4 push pins holding the seat back leather (i.e., "halo) on to expose the bolster bladders. I did not have to unzip the halo zipper.

Found the air hose to the left side bladder was disconnected (i.e., pulled off). It pulled off as the left bolster "winglet" had broken allowing the hose to be stretched and pull off.

The winglet is the fiberglass part of the fiberglass seat base which supports the bolster bladder. Many people have documented this breakage.

I cut two 4" x 4.5" pieces of 26 guage plate steel I had in the garage. Sandwiched the broken fiberglass bolster between the steel pieces and drilled 6 holes on each side of the break through the 2 steel plates and the fiberglass bolster/seat. Twelve rivets then secured the "scab" and the broken bolster is better than new.

Hooked up the air line, put the seat back together and I'm done. If I hadn't fixed the broken fiberglass bolster the hose would have just pulled off again.

I didn't realize the bolster was broken. I guess it was broken when I bought the car and just didn't know any better.

Note, the repair was made with the seat in the car. Piece of cake.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Bolsters Don't Inflate - Patch/Repair Kit?

Quick Reply: Bolsters Don't Inflate - Patch/Repair Kit?