C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 10:18 PM
Jason Squires
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ?

I removed my stock air filter from the stock air box for inspection/cleaning and am not convinced I replaced it correctly. I read in this forum that it is easy to install a K&N filter if the stock air box is removed and it is supposedly a simple task to remove it. I do not have a clue how to start removing the air box and the "Tech Tips" at the top of this page did not give me any insight.
Can someone please give me a few "how-to" tips? Much appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-31-2001, 10:34 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ? (Jason Squires)

If you want to remove the airbox the easiest way is to loosen the air bridge clamps as well as the clamp between the maf and the airbox. Get all of that stuff out of the way so you only have the airbox there and then go to the front of the car and push the airbox towards the motor through the opening in the hood.. It will separate from the grommets that are mounted in the front of the car.

Joe
Old 08-31-2001, 10:42 PM
Jason Squires
Advanced

Default Re: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ? (CRUZMISL)

Thanks very much Joe, that does sound easy. Now - when I reinstall the air box, is there any trick to locating back into the grommets or any other step in the process? Any tips would help. Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2001, 11:30 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ? (Jason Squires)

Thanks very much Joe, that does sound easy. Now - when I reinstall the air box, is there any trick to locating back into the grommets or any other step in the process? Any tips would help. Thanks again!
Joe left out one detail - "push" in this case means "really hard!!!!" I've never tried to put one back on. I suspect if you take it off this way (I did), you're looking at an equivalent effort to get it back on. Also, on mine, one grommet came off with the box, and one is still on the bolt.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:59 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start by disconnecting the MAF harness. This is the hardest part of the job, you'll need to release the clip on both the top and bottom surfaces at the same time.

I find it easiest to loosen the single clamp at the throttle body. Pull the accordian coupler off the throttle body.

Pull the air tunnel off the locating pins in the radiator bridge.

Then push the air box away from the locating pins in the front of the car, as stated above.

When reinstalling, it's easiest to have the grommets on the intake, so if any are left on the car (in front or on the radiator bridge), pull them off.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:23 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ? (TooManyIDs)

Here's the way I did it. Taking it off was easy, but getting the front grommets back on was a pain (literally). I just disconnected the IAT and MAF sensor connectors and loosened the hose clamp that is on the throttle body side of the accordion piece. You can then work the accordion piece off the throttle body and once it's off, pull it upward so that the two grommets on the top of the radiator shroud pop up/off. Once those are off you can walk around to the front of the car and stick your hands through the small gap where the bumper/hood separate and reach down in there and push the air box off the grommets. You do this by putting your hands between the airbox and the front of the car and pushing one side at a time. Once it pops off, the entire thing ductwork and all should come off.

When you are putting it back in there, grease the rubber grommets so it is easier to slip the front gommets back on. Just lay the stuff back in there and walk around to the front again. You should be able to get enough of your arms between the hood/bumper to feel the holes/grommets from the front. Jiggle the box while pushing it toward the front of the car at the same time. That's the fun part. I ended up with some nice bruises from the hood cutting at me as I pushed.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 09-01-2001, 06:50 PM
Jason Squires
Advanced

Default Re: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ? (mchaney)

Thank You, Thank You to everyone who replied. So it isn't quite as simple as lacing your shoes - but not rocket science either. I appreciate your help!!
Save the Wave, drive it like you stole it. :cheers:
Old 09-03-2001, 02:37 AM
Kevman
Advanced

Jason,

Just one more tip... I removed the stock air box for the first time today. When everyone says push the airbox hard toward the engine, they mean push parallel to the ground. Imagine that you have to push the car to roll it along--by pushing on the airbox. That is the direction that you push. The studs that the grommets go on are basically horizontal. So pushing the airbox up toward the sky will NOT get it off.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:43 AM
c5magred2
Racer

Default Re: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ? (Kevman)

remove all connections such as bellow,clamps etc.. and with a hard yank it will come off easy.dont worry about trying to remove it easy,get rough with it and the grommets will seperate from the studs. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ?

Quick Reply: How do I remove my stock air box ? I'm told it's easy - but how ?