C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Davko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Smell

Just filled my gas tank and drove home. When I walked into the garage, I have a strong smell of gas. From my search on the forum, some threads suggest it could be the gas filter.... Anybody have any thoughts on that? How would I change the gas filter.

2004 C5 with 19,000 miles.

Thanks - DAVE.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
devo
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I had that problem and yes it was the filter. but i have a 98' i'm not sure if your filter is in the same place. but it was leaking from there. but its on the drivers side get the car up in the air and you can spot it just in front and above the rear wheel.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:00 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default fuel filter

You have the new style filter with I believe 3 ports. My 98 had the 2 port variety. I had a post about a month ago on changing the filter.
If you have a Stick shift theres room to work. If an automatic I finally loosened the 2 bolts on the muffler and then lowered the pipe ONLY to get enough hand room to work on the filter. Took me about 3 hours total as the plastic clips on the fuel line were a bitch. Take your time and don't RUIN the fuel lines or you will make a 20 or 30 dollar job into a multi hundred dollar job. BIGHANK
Old 10-28-2006, 04:38 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the newer C5s have the fuel filter inside the tank If that's the case, you could rule that out as the leak.

Chris
Old 10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Davko
Instructor

It is a 2004 automatic. I'm going to try to get it up on the stands tomorrow. Hopefully I can see something. It does seem to smell around the drivers side rear, around the rear tire area. I sure hope it's not leaking on the muffler.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:16 PM
JH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DngrZne
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the newer C5s have the fuel filter inside the tank If that's the case, you could rule that out as the leak.

Chris

Correct! Mid-model year 2003 and newer C5s all have the fuel filter INSIDE the tank. The tank(s?) will have to be drained and dropped to make the change. Not exactly a do-it-yourself project. The change was mandated by the EPA, and included a downgraded fuel injection system for these C5s.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:20 PM
VetteSiNz
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a gas leak on my 04 A4 coupe with only over 3k miles. Dealer replace the filler tube, driver side gas tank and the connector tube to the passenger side tank. I have over 27k (daily driver) now with no gas leaks.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Davko
Instructor

I think that could be my problem. Other areas in the forum also seem to confirm. Sounds like a warrenty issue now. Will have to call the dealership.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for my posts on a fuel tank leak. My 2004 had bad fume problems when parked in the garage. It took two troubleshooting sessions at Corvettes of Houston to finally get the drivers tank replaced. It seems to be a known and growing problem with the 2004 vettes and XLR's. Mine failed at around 40k miles. But if you still have warranty, bring it in! And be sure to swing a rental car if you can. They may need a few days to get a new tank.

- Wisdom
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM
UVETTYA
Instructor

Had the same problem on an '03. It was a Y pipe between the tanks. They had to drop the tanks to replace it.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 PM
UVETTYA
Instructor

Originally Posted by JH
Correct! Mid-model year 2003 and newer C5s all have the fuel filter INSIDE the tank. The tank(s?) will have to be drained and dropped to make the change. Not exactly a do-it-yourself project. The change was mandated by the EPA, and included a downgraded fuel injection system for these C5s.

What did they do that downgraded the fuel injection system?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
JH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UVETTYA
What did they do that downgraded the fuel injection system?
All part of the EPA requirement. IIRC, it was in relation to possible fuel leaks and evaporating fuel. Not to worry, the stock unit remains plenty powerful for the cars. It is just that the modifiers have to switch to a more robust system to satisfy the fuel demand requirements for some of the more out there mods.

It's the fuel filter being placed INSIDE the tank that sent me looking for a great early 03 or 02 when I went looking. I found the 02 with every performance option it could have for a coupe.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Davko
Instructor

My 04 is at the dealership right now. Took it in on Wednesday last week. I did have a leak in the gas tank at the crossover pipe. They have ordered a new tank, filler tube and crossover pipe. While they were looking, they discovered a leak in the rear differential. When I stopped at the dealership on Friday, they were taking the rear of the vehicle apart to repair the differential, other parts had not arrived yet. They have put me in a rental (Chevy van). Frankly, it's been a very lonesome weekend - I miss my car. Usually in the garage detailing something on Saturday. I'll be stopping by Palm Chevrolet on Monday just to say "Hi" to my vette and to see how they are doing on it. I met the 2 mechanics working on it, they really seemed like committed guys. They showed me around, I could see the leak area in the tank and in the rear differential. Hopefully, things will be okay by next weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Smell

Quick Reply: Gas Smell