C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 12:12 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :)

Well I finally got a friend to take some pics and granted it's still work in progress i thought i would share everything with you guys. If you have positive feed back please let me know. I love the filters though Who was it that said bigger is better Well on with the results of my hammering away on my car
:smash:
:cheers: Later guys,
Ralph http://www.fbody.com/members/grimmy/intake.htm
Old 08-31-2001, 12:48 PM
Flintstone
Drifting

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (Conv.WS6)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 08-31-2001, 01:22 PM
ncvetteman
Safety Car

:rolleyes: If some can spend the money to buy a C5...then they can spare the $45-230s that most aftermarket intakes can...with out resorting to duct taping hardware and paper air filters to there intake. :rolleyes: Interesting though
Old 08-31-2001, 02:32 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (ncvetteman)

I figured i would get these kinds of replies from some of the crowd, but to each their own. I took the filters off, and could not tell a difference, so apparently the paper filters aren't being too restrictive. As far as the duct tape is concerned, I'm still making the maf ends alittle better, but you always want to try something before putting too much work into it. Need to make the flanges for the pipes and then I will be set.

Maf Ends $95
Twin Flow intake or Whatever other intake that you want ~250

Total $350. Granted mine doesn't look as good, but if it performs just as good at the track and everyday use, I can put my $300 somewhere else where I can't make the stuff from scratch. But then again, I can't raise my hood and have everything as pretty Thanks for the positive feedback though. :lol:

[Modified by Conv.WS6, 12:34 PM 8/31/2001]
Old 08-31-2001, 03:39 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Hey, form fits function. If it works for you, sweet. :D Good ideas there. Do you think the dual filter set-up that you have is hurting you any? I know a lot of people claimed that the twin flow setup that RM Racing sells which resembles yours in structure, caused a lot of turbulence where the pipes converged into one thus lowering its effeciency? Maybe try a single filter giving a straight shot? I dunno man, just throwin' ideas out there . BTW, I'm confused on the sheet metal part/picture, what exactly is going on there? And what is the conduit tubing for? Thanks man

[Modified by C5Noir, 1:40 PM 8/31/2001]
Old 08-31-2001, 04:12 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (C5Noir)

Conv.WS6,
A couple days ago someone advanced the theory that turbulance through the MAF could be avoided by connecting the MAF directly to the throttle body. Since you already replaced the orignial MAF ends, maybe you could experiment with the above idea. The basis of this theory if the longer relatively straight flow passage from the filters to the MAF will allow the airstream to stabilize. Try it, you may like it. Let us know.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:14 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (C5Noir)

Hey, form fits function. If it works for you, sweet. :D Good ideas there. Do you think the dual filter set-up that you have is hurting you any? I know a lot of people claimed that the twin flow setup that RM Racing sells which resembles yours in structure, caused a lot of turbulence where the pipes converged into one thus lowering its effeciency? Maybe try a single filter giving a straight shot? I dunno man, just throwin' ideas out there . BTW, I'm confused on the sheet metal part/picture, what exactly is going on there? And what is the conduit tubing for? Thanks man

[Modified by C5Noir, 1:40 PM 8/31/2001]
yeah I heard that about the Twin flow as well, but I thought I would give it a try with the cheap filters. Later I kind of want to mimic the twin flow design but with a more gradual mending of the two pipe into one when I make the aluminum t-fitting. Sorry for the confusion of the Sheet metal. I bend the Sheet metal to make the air ducts behind the Fog lamps. Then I attached the dryer hose to the air ducts and screwed the sheetmetal to the the outside of the fog lamp inserts. I threw the site up just to show everyone what I was working on so I'm sorry that the other guys didn't recognize that. I might go with a single filter later, but I'm going to try the duals for now and maybe even work on getting the Maf sensor closer to the throttle body and allowing the two pipes more room to mend into one and have less turbulence. I will keep everyone posted though as i tinker

Old 08-31-2001, 04:19 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (2kbluestreak)

Conv.WS6,
A couple days ago someone advanced the theory that turbulance through the MAF could be avoided by connecting the MAF directly to the throttle body. Since you already replaced the orignial MAF ends, maybe you could experiment with the above idea. The basis of this theory if the longer relatively straight flow passage from the filters to the MAF will allow the airstream to stabilize. Try it, you may like it. Let us know.

Hey thanks man. I'm going to try that, but I was wondering about the heat from the TB affecting the MAF so i kept it away for now. I will try it though when I make the better T-fitting. Thanks for the all the ideas guys. I get a kick out of the tuning stuff on my own. Gives me something to do with my car instead of just drive it you know. I have to be in there with my ideas and wrenches I'm taking off for the weekend, but I will get back with everyone later Saturday or sunday. have a great weekend, and I hope I'm helping some people that don't want to or can't spend the extra 300+ on their car out.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:31 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Dude,

If it works for you that's cool! It's your car, and your opnion is the only one that really should count.:cool:

personally I like to have looks AND function.
It's worth the extra money that I might have to spend. :cheers:

but that's just me.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:30 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

While I applaud your ingenuity and thriftiness I question your execution. All I can say is please re-install the factory components ASAP. Or spend the $$$ on aftermarket parts.

Just my opinion.

Tom
USAF Retired

[Modified by AFVETTE, 4:36 PM 8/31/2001]
Old 08-31-2001, 10:22 PM
thefly
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (AFVETTE)

got to be honest when i first looked at your link i thought it was :bs but it is your car and not mine so go for it, but i think i would agree with afvette on this one.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:40 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (AFVETTE)

While I applaud your ingenuity and thriftiness I question your execution. All I can say is please re-install the factory components ASAP. Or spend the $$$ on aftermarket parts.

Just my opinion.

Tom
USAF Retired

[Modified by AFVETTE, 4:36 PM 8/31/2001]
Hey Tom, I've got a question. Why would I install the factory parts or aftermarket parts instead of tuning the car myself. It's not like the the parts that I'm messing with are exetremely complex or anything. Does everyone think that Aftermarket parts just magically appear without testing? Why would you not want to test with cheap materials and find out what works the best instead of just buying the first thing offered, and hoping that it works the best. I like it when people give me ideas like moving the MAF Sensor forward for less turbulance, but the comments of removing my testing parts immediately without giving any explanation just doesn't make sense. I'm thinking about another intake as well but I'm going to try that using the cheap materials first as well and then see which intake produces the best results before making everything out of polished metal, however someone that wants their car to run faster, but doesn't want to spend much money, might like the site, and that is the reason I posted it in the PERFORMANCE Section . If you don't then that's fine, but it's all about tuning a car first and making it look pretty last, Especially when it's under the hood. The one thing I like though is that when everything is finished and I raise my hood, no one else will have the same intake design, and it sparks alot of conversation and ideas at the corvette conventions.

[Modified by Conv.WS6, 8:43 PM 9/1/2001]
Old 09-01-2001, 10:49 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (RPOZ4Z)

Dude,

If it works for you that's cool! It's your car, and your opnion is the only one that really should count.:cool:

personally I like to have looks AND function.
It's worth the extra money that I might have to spend. :cheers:

but that's just me.
I plan on having the looks in a little bit, but for now it's easier to test with the cheap ugly materials The Subject is pretty cool though $52 and you can feel the SOTP difference. Might not look pretty, but it's all in what you want. When it's time to sell the car. You put the intake back on from the factory, and you are out $50 vs. $350. Once I get some polished metal and a mig though, it should have the looks as well as whatever functionality I have decided works the best. The more this thread is up though the less I'm inclined to post my progress because with the exception of 2 people everyone else has had nothing productive to say for my testing. It's more like the idea that unless you buy something from an aftermarket tuner, then your doing somthing wrong. The more I hear this the more it reinforces my opinion on how narrow minded some can be because they don't realize that testing and design comes in way ahead of just buying, installing and trusting that you have the best design out there for the money. Personally no offense is taken on my part, but truely I'm starting to feel like this really isn't about the C5 performance, but instead C5 aftermarket. Maybe the moderators could split those up for me :lol: Not flaming towards anyone, but if everyone could do me a favor and only post if they have something constructive to say about design versus whether you like my testing materials :lol:

[Modified by Conv.WS6, 9:00 PM 9/1/2001]

[Modified by Conv.WS6, 9:01 PM 9/1/2001]
Old 09-01-2001, 11:17 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You made no mention of "testing" this on your web site.

It sounded like this WAS the final product.

I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way,:nopity but I replied like everyone else based on what we read on your web site, and like I said, there was no mention of this setup being an experiment.:smash:

so, good luck with your quest for a better air filter setup.

when you are all through and have a final prouduct, I believe you will have spent about the same amount of money as buying a comprable intake.

but sometimes getting there is the fun part!

:cheers:
Old 09-01-2001, 11:23 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (RPOZ4Z)

You made no mention of "testing" this on your web site.

It sounded like this WAS the final product.

I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way,:nopity but I replied like everyone else based on what we read on your web site, and like I said, there was no mention of this setup being an experiment.:smash:

so, good luck with your quest for a better air filter setup.

when you are all through and have a final prouduct, I believe you will have spent about the same amount of money as buying a comprable intake.

but sometimes getting there is the fun part!

:cheers:
I originally threw the website up without explanation of my testing, but it's a work in progress, so if you haven't seen it for a day or two, then it's probably changed. Your right about probably having the same amount of money in it though, but I'm kind of weird like that. I enjoy getting there more than having it done you know. Thanks for the reply though, and I will keep everyone posted on my partnumbers and the different routes I'm taking with the cheap mods and their associated Time slips When I get them all finished.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:46 PM
BatVette
Racer

I like your idea and look forward to hearing if it pans out well. I cannot speak for how this design will work, but I will keep an eye out for incorporating ways to make present designs better. :smash:
Old 09-01-2001, 11:51 PM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (BatVette)

I like your idea and look forward to hearing if it pans out well. I cannot speak for how this design will work, but I will keep an eye out for incorporating ways to make present designs better. :smash:
Thanks. I'm curious how do you like your headlights? I would like alittle more candle power, but don't want to put the expense out for the stationary pencil lights

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :)

Old 09-02-2001, 12:22 AM
BatVette
Racer

I love the headlights. No matter how fast I go I never overdrive my lights now. Definatelty worth it, its too bad GM doesn't put them standard on a 50k car. :cheers:
Old 09-02-2001, 10:45 AM
Conv.WS6
Racer

Default Re: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :) (BatVette)

I love the headlights. No matter how fast I go I never overdrive my lights now. Definatelty worth it, its too bad GM doesn't put them standard on a 50k car. :cheers:
Pardon my dumb question, but is the headlight upgrade a GM part since you said they should come standard? If so what is the Part numbers My father works for GM, so I get a really good deal on GM parts versus, Aftermarket.
Still wondering about the 2002 Zo6 MAF and whether it will plug into my original LS1 connection. Is the 2002 Zo6 Maf any larger? Does anyone know?
Old 09-02-2001, 10:59 AM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

I could understand this "jury rig" on a farm tractor, but on a nice C5? :U

Quick Reply: Cold air Intake and MAF Ends for $52 :)