Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default Home made car ramps

I know there's a link, but I can't find it. Who has made the car ramps with 2"x10"s or 2"x 12"s. I think Grond or someone else had a simple design. Anyhow, I did a search and can't find the particular thread which talks about the proper way to jack up your car. Thanks, James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Horncastle Lincolnshire, England
Dave Gledhill David Gledhill
Default

I think it may have been Forum Member Mike Mercury who made the home made ramps.

I have some notes I took from a previous thread. PM me with your E Mail and I'll send them to you.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Speed Trap
CF Senior Member
 
Speed Trap's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Martinez CA
Default

Here is the link to Mike Mercury's ramp design:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/ramp.htm
Speed Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Default

Here's another style.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=jacking
Don't worry about beveling the ends. The car will go on just fine with 90 degree straight cuts.
Warp Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: S.W. Ohio. . . . . . NRA Life Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Here's another style.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=jacking
Don't worry about beveling the ends. The car will go on just fine with 90 degree straight cuts.
I think that was the post the originator was looking for.

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I think that was the post the originator was looking for.

Yes, Thanks guys! James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default Mike Mercury

Why is the back of your ramp angled in two inches rather than perpendicular to the ground? Wouldn't it be structurally stronger at a right angle? James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: S.W. Ohio. . . . . . NRA Life Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean lx
Why is the back of your ramp angled in two inches rather than perpendicular to the ground? Wouldn't it be structurally stronger at a right angle? James
They're so strong now that I would pull a dump truck on them.

The angle is there so that if you bump into the stop block, the front edge of the ramp doesn't slap up against the frame. All of the stamped metal ramps I used years ago were angled in the rear like that.

One could place the stop block further inward - so the force-to-rotate is never on the back edge... but these low rise-angle 10" lift ramps are already on the verge of being too long.

They will stand on end though... as the stop block is near 2" thick.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
NJ Vette Guy
CF Senior Member
 
NJ Vette Guy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Ex BX... Ex NJ... Hello CT!!! CT
Default

I thought about making ramps too.....

I really wanted to make long drive up ramps that would have elevated the car enough to get under it and work on the car..... Especially to change the oil. Then I thought about it.... What if I needed to remove the tires???

So instead of making drive up ramps for $68.00 for a Kobalt 3 ton jack (including two 3 ton jack stands), another $18.99 for the 2nd set of stands (four total) from Lowe's and $28.99 for a set of Rhino ramps at Walmart I'm done.

I had to lift the front end up and remove the tires, to install a set of screens. I started the job late in the day and the car was up on the stands overnight, I finished the job the next morning. I didn't use hockey pucks, nor a piece of wood, I placed the stands right under the cross member and it worked out just fine. The next time I'm due for an oil change, I'll be doing it myself.

You know there is a certain amount of pride, when you make or do something yourself..... I'll take pride in installing screens or changing the oil..... But I don't think I could have bought the wood cheaper than buying the Rhino ramps......
__________________

Goodbye 2000 C5 ~ Hello 2007 C6 Z06
Goodbye New Jersey ~ Hello Connecticut



My Corvette Photos

My Graphics Page
NJ Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
yellow01
CF Senior Member
 
yellow01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Murphy TX
Default

1. Buy two 10ft 2x10s.
2. Cut each into 5', 3' and 2' sections.
3. Nail the 3' onto the 5', the 2' onto the 3'.

Voila! $10 + a few nails later you have plenty of room to get a jack in there and lift to your desired height.

If you want really fancy you can nail a 10" section of 2x2 crosswise at the top as a stop, but then it will probably cost you $12. I never actually drive onto the 2ft section anyway, not necessary.

Track time costs $$$, ramps can be made CHEAP. They're functional, and they stack good too if you flip one over and stack it on the other (I put them in my track trailer like that and it's perfect).

I might paint them black and put some flames on the side... we'll see.

Last edited by yellow01; 06-25-2006 at 08:10 PM.
yellow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Vette Guy
You know there is a certain amount of pride, when you make or do something yourself..... I'll take pride in installing screens or changing the oil..... [B
But I don't think I could have bought the wood cheaper than buying the Rhino ramps......:[/B]thumbs:
I bought the Rhino ramps because someone on this sight stated that's all they used. Maybe I misunderstood them. I didn't think they would work, but I bought some anyhow. The vette is too low for the Rhino ramps to work without Jerry rigging (sorry Jerry) them. I figured I would just attempt to build Mike Mercury's ramps. Thanks Mike or whatever your real name is. James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow01
1. Buy two 10ft 2x10s.
2. Cut each into 5', 3' and 2' sections.
3. Nail the 3' onto the 5', the 2' onto the 3'.

Voila! $10 + a few nails later you have plenty of room to get a jack in there and lift to your desired height.

If you want really fancy you can nail a 10" section of 2x2 crosswise at the top as a stop, but then it will probably cost you $12. I never actually drive onto the 2ft section anyway, not necessary.

Track time costs $$$, ramps can be made CHEAP. They're functional, and they stack good too if you flip one over and stack it on the other (I put them in my track trailer like that and it's perfect).

I might paint them black and put some flames on the side... we'll see.
These are probably more my speed, as I haven't done any significant wood working since woodshop back in '79. Is 6" really enough lift to work underneath a vette, or is this just so I can get my jack underneath it? James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #13
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: S.W. Ohio. . . . . . NRA Life Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow01
1. Buy two 10ft 2x10s.
2. Cut each into 5', 3' and 2' sections.
3. Nail the 3' onto the 5', the 2' onto the 3'.

Voila! $10 + a few nails later you have plenty of room to get a jack in there and lift to your desired height.
I've seen ones like that and they work great. It all depends on how much lift one wants - and how fancy or practical the build.

My father was a life-long carpenter. I had to build mine like that... or he would crawl out of the grave and punch me.

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
yellow01
CF Senior Member
 
yellow01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Murphy TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I've seen ones like that and they work great. It all depends on how much lift one wants - and how fancy or practical the build.

My father was a life-long carpenter. I had to build mine like that... or he would crawl out of the grave and punch me.


They're not pretty, that's for sure


Quote:
Originally Posted by mean lx
Is 6" really enough lift to work underneath a vette, or is this just so I can get my jack underneath it? James
It's enough for a jack. I personally do no work on the car that can be done with only the front up on ramps. Most often I'm up on 4-stands. I just time my oil changes and such with other work, or do a quick check of brakes etc. after a track weekend and change the oil then, or I just do a wheel by wheel job (such as bleeding at the track).

yellow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Dirty Howie's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Default

Man ...... I just can't get enough of these PUCKING, RAMP, JACK OFF threads


DH
__________________


BOARD MEMBER OF THE 2014 CORVETTE CHALLENGE

ORGANIZATION SPONSORS
Speed Ventures


GOLD SPONSORS
LG MOTORSPORTS
FINSPEED




SILVER SPONSORS
CUNNINGHAM MOTOR SPORTS
EXCELSIOR MOTORSPORTS
KNSBrakes
CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER
REVOLUTION MOTORSPORTS
CANYON RUN VIDEO
LSX ADVANCED AUTO
TWAY MOTORSPORTS

Dirty Howie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #16
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: S.W. Ohio. . . . . . NRA Life Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Man ...... I just can't get enough of these PUCKING, RAMP, JACK OFF threads.


there's a lot more of this in Off Topic...
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default Mike Mercury's ramps

Well, my next door neighbor, who built my house, built the car ramps for me. The front air dam just touches at the 15 degree area of the ramp. Now, I just need to get some more two by tens or twelves and build some ramps for the rear so I can get my jack under it. I want to change the oil before taking her to Kilkare Dragway on Thursday, if the weather allows. James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #18
Mike Mercury
CF Senior Member
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: S.W. Ohio. . . . . . NRA Life Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean lx
Well, my next door neighbor, who built my house, built the car ramps for me. The front air dam just touches at the 15 degree area of the ramp. Now, I just need to get some more two by tens or twelves and build some ramps for the rear so I can get my jack under it. I want to change the oil before taking her to Kilkare Dragway on Thursday, if the weather allows. James
I might be there on Thursday - with a few other S.W. Ohio members.

Good idea to check out the Regional - Great Lakes section of the forum. We meet at least every month.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

we're getting together this next Sunday.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
mean lx
CF Senior Member
 
mean lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Vancleave Ms.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I might be there on Thursday - with a few other S.W. Ohio members.
Good idea to check out the Regional - Great Lakes section of the forum. We meet at least every month.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

we're getting together this next Sunday.
What color is your vette? Sorry, but I don't remember seeing your vette at Quaker Steak and Lube last month. James
mean lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
rws.1
CF Senior Member
 
rws.1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: East Lansing MI
Default

here is the link i used for jacking my car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...g&forum_id=103
rws.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Home made car ramps
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
c5, car, corvette, home, homemade, homemake, jerry, lift, made, make, oil, ramp, ramps, rigging, trailer, wood


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Any Tips for 1st Car Show?? Waxers Only...... 95ZR1#418 C4 ZR-1 Discussion 33 06-07-2005 10:08 AM
Built some car ramps today... 74FLCONV C3 Tech/Performance 19 02-06-2005 12:20 PM
Home Made Ramps LT1Vetteguy78 C4 Tech/Performance 29 09-15-2004 09:39 AM
How do you guys jack up your vettes to work on them. Any ramps available? Pooter C5 Tech 20 06-09-2003 08:50 PM
Home made ramps bob C3 Tech/Performance 11 08-31-2002 05:08 AM
AC pump froze, car along road need help quick! ski_dwn_it C4 Tech/Performance 13 08-31-2002 12:44 AM
Home made ramps fo C5 Richin Chicago C5 Tech 16 08-17-2002 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2