C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front rotors on rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
bryanZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front rotors on rear?

This morning I was thinking about how nice some zinc washed brembo or baer slotted rotors would look on the front of the car. If I did get new front rotors what would I need to make the front rotors I have now work on the rear? I'm not even sure I'm going to do this. I'm just dreaming up things to keep me busy in the garage this winter.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Forum member Mean Green used to have a write-up posted about using the front caliper/rotor setup on the rears, but I can't find it now. Try PMing him about it. As I recall, it involved grinding some tabs down, and forfeiting the parking brake.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Front rotors are larger than rears, so caliper brackets wouldn't position the calipers in the right place. The rears rotors have a drum brake built into the center which the fronts don't have. Better scrap that idea, have a cool one and think up something else.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 AM
bryanZ06
Safety Car

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Soldiervette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put this rotorspackage from wescoast corvettes

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/ima...t/large/75.jpg

2 pc. Front & 2pc. 14" Rear Baer Eradispeed Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors, HPS Front & HPS Rear (HP Street) Hawk Performance Brake Pads, 2 Pints Motul RBF600 High Temp Brake Fluid & (4)DOT Approved Stainless Steel Brake Lines. This package will work on base suspension package for the C6 not the Z51.

and they look great...and my vette stop real fast now

rear mounts included...

Last edited by Soldiervette; 06-20-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:12 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read a "how to" post about putting the front rotors and calipers on the rear. There are several bosses or projections on the rear nuckle and "backing plate" the have to be sawed or ground off so they won't intefere with the front rotors. Once this is done, the rotors go right on and the calipers are supposed to bolt right up in the proper location for the disc thickness and O.D. Downside is that you've permanantly removed all the features of the handbrake, so you'll be without it from then on.

Get notified of new replies

To front rotors on rear?

Quick Reply: front rotors on rear?