C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Exhaust options?

My stock cats, H-pipe and mufflers are costing me 60hp on my new 402, compared to open headers. It seems clear the cats are clogged. I want a X-Pipe that works with my stainless works headers, and Random Technology makes two versions with high flow cats, both reasonably priced (for full stainless steel, with high flow cats) for ~$750.

One is 3" all the way, front to back, and requires 3" mufflers.

The other starts 3", goes down to 2.75" immediately after the cats, and then reduced to 2.5" right at the muffler, to go to stock size mufflers.

So I can either get the 3->2.75->2.5, and then I've got tons of options, or I get the 3" all the way, and I need 3" mufflers.

Is there any 3" muffler system for the C5 that isn't obnoxiously loud? I figure 99.9% of people who go 3" exhaust *want* it to be loud, and no one has ever asked for a 3" C5 muffler that doesn't make your ears bleed. Even if I did get one, would it (by virtue of being quiet) perform no better than an equally loud 2.5" muffler?

Thanks,
Miles
Old 06-02-2006, 02:38 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles in Michigan
My stock cats, H-pipe and mufflers are costing me 60hp on my new 402, compared to open headers. It seems clear the cats are clogged. I want a X-Pipe that works with my stainless works headers, and Random Technology makes two versions with high flow cats, both reasonably priced (for full stainless steel, with high flow cats) for ~$750.

The other starts 3", goes down to 2.75" immediately after the cats, and then reduced to 2.5" right at the muffler, to go to stock size mufflers.

So I can either get the 3->2.75->2.5, and then I've got tons of options, or I get the 3" all the way, and I need 3" mufflers.

Is there any 3" muffler system for the C5 that isn't obnoxiously loud? I figure 99.9% of people who go 3" exhaust *want* it to be loud, and no one has ever asked for a 3" C5 muffler that doesn't make your ears bleed. Even if I did get one, would it (by virtue of being quiet) perform no better than an equally loud 2.5" muffler?

Thanks,
Miles
Stainless works makes a 3" baffled and a 3" straight-through design. Also, Mufflex was making 3" catbacks. I had a 3" Stainless Works system all the way back to the catsbacks and then went with 2 1/2" on the catbacks. I always wanted a 3" catback but never went that way. Most of them are heavy and I'm running stock cubes. I don't know what it's costing me, but I don't think much. BTW, the 3" system to the catbacks had a much deeper rumble than my current system, Kooks.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles in Michigan

Thanks,
Miles

Miles both Stainless Works and Random Technology make a full three inch system with mufflers. You just need to give em a call. You are right with that much displacement you do need to exhale!

Get notified of new replies

To 3" Exhaust options?

Quick Reply: 3" Exhaust options?