C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best gasket material for stock shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
rcwalters
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best gasket material for stock shifter?

I'm switching back to my stock shifter in preparation for perhaps maybe trading the car in on something new. The old gasket is all torn up and useless. I haven't been able to find a specific gasket for this, so I figured I'd get some gasket material and make my own. Summit has cork, compressed, and fiber. Which of those three should I go for? They all seem to be for sealing, but what I really want is something to quiet it down, the B&M on there now makes all sorts of racket, I don't want to have the same on the stock because it has no gasket or a poor choice one.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I would try to get some cellular urethane as a first choice if noise reduction is your main concern. Neoprene and silicone also make for some good gasket materials. Cork would most surely creep over time, as would most air-filled gaskets, so a good compromise may be the neoprene. You can buy sheets of this at www.mcmaster.com.

Quick Reply: Best gasket material for stock shifter?