C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto to manual conversion

Old 05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
safatboyvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual conversion

can you guys tell me if it is feasable to covert my ,01 vert auto to a manual.if so what cost?what would be the best transmission & clutch to install
Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 PM
gdphillipsvette
Burning Brakes

I did it to my '02 coupe, but it's expensive. You can get the parts for around $1500-2000 used, the labor will run $1000-1500. Also consider that you may want to change out the rear diff - another $1500.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:23 PM
JD's C5
Melting Slicks

I changed mine from an auto to a manual about 3 months ago. RPM transmissions in Indiana did the work. I traded Rodney my entire trans setup, torque tube, shifter, pedals, 3.15 differential. I got an RPM micropolished MN12-Z06 trans, 3.42 differential, Z06 shifter, pedals etc. Including the labor it cost $2500.
You need to really find a shop that is outstanding in this area as there are some pitfalls. These include issues with the wiring harness, reverse lockout. I have read some posts from other members who did it and had problems. Rodney and guys did an outstanding job on mine and plus I got an RPM built transmission all at a reasonable price. I loved the car before but I really enjoy it now.
My advice is make sure you have someone do it that has done it before. Any questions you may want to email rodney@rpmtransmissions.com
I would highly recommend that if nothing else you get your trans from him
Old 05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

Rodney is a good friend of mine and he does a ton of work for me. I let LPE and Rodney work on my car. LPE does the motor and Rodney does any and all drivetrain work. He is excellent and I would ship my car to his shop from California if I had too.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's been done on my car...not a hard job. Everything bolts right up and the hole for the clutch stuff is easy to make because everything that has to be cut was designed to be for a manual or auto at the factory so all the holes are already marked for you.

As far as cost...it depends on how you shop around. I'm sure you could spend $5K EASY going with brand new GM parts...but shopping on a budget with used parts you can come out very well. I recently paid $300 for a used torque tube (20K miles), transmission and rear end you should be able to get for $1250 or so total on ebay if you are patient. Lastly a new Z06 clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder/throwout bearing is around $500 new. The only thing left is a master cylinder ($100ish) and a shifter.

Subtract from that the amount you can sell all of your old parts for and you'll find it is a very cheap job if you can turn a wrench yourself.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:00 AM
safatboyvette
Cruising

thank you guys,that is very helpfull information.i think i will start watching e-bay for zo6 clutch etc
Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am in the midst of the conversion from auto to manual.

I don't know how much HP you plan on making, but that will determine what you should do. The more power you make the more it's going to cost you.

You will need the following major parts

-Clutch, flywheel of your choice.
-Clutch Resevoir, Clutch Master Slave Cylinder, Slave & Throw Out Bearing.
- Brake & Pedal Assembly from Manual
-Bellhousing
- Torque Tube 2001 and newer
- Transmission
- Rear End (3.42)
- Tranny Wiring Harness (Pull your battery and read the little white tags on the wire connectors behind their, that will tell you what period to look for wire harness from.

You'll also need new shifter boot and various hardware to complete conversion.

There are a few set-ups on Ebay or you can piece meal the parts. I piece mealed mine to get exactly what I want.

Expect to pay somewhere in the $2,500 - $3,000 range plus clutch for parts.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:40 AM
safatboyvette
Cruising

Thank you for giving me the list of what i need as iam not mechanically inclined and will get it done

Get notified of new replies

To auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto to manual conversion