C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:31 AM
catchwood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel economy

Has anyone thought of or tried any type of injector displacment, like shuting down cylinders to improve mpg while traveling long distances?
What would it take to make this possible?

edit may 16th 2006
Has any one tried this ...http://www.hydrofuelsaver.ws/

Last edited by catchwood; 05-16-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why bother??? I'm getting 30 hwy mpg now as it

Just don't be WOT all up and down I-280.....

(I think I've seen your ride in EO Town before..... )
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38 AM
puffin04
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by catchwood
Has anyone thought of or tried any type of injector displacment, like shuting down cylinders to improve mpg while traveling long distances?
The process just shutting injectors down is much more complainted and it can burn up your cyclinder since gas is also a forum of lubication. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

At 33 mpg on the highway, I think I will keep things just as they are.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
WraithZ
8th Gear

I just averaged 31+ mpg in the mountains of the Adirondacks (NY). Can't ask for any more than that.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by puffin04
The process just shutting injectors down is much more complainted and it can burn up your cyclinder since gas is also a forum of lubication. Thanks

Steffen Sparks
Much more complicated. This link has a little overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_on_demand
Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

To make it possible it would most likely take more money then you would save in gas.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:14 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenT
To make it possible it would most likely take more money then you would save in gas.

Ain't that the truth. If I get 31.5 mpg at 75+ mph in moderately hilly terrain, I'll just leave this bad boy alone. Turning off the injectors has to be accompanied by a way to keep the exhaust part way open on the compression stroke of the dead cylinder or otherwise the work to compress plain air destroys any fuel savings.

Side note - it is amusing that hybrid sales have tanked. SOMEBODY finally figured out that the mileage improvement combined with the higher purchase cost, combined with buying a multi-thousand dollar battery pack sometime in the future wasn't good economics. And still others figured out that all the fuel savings come from not having the gas engine running while sitting in traffic and using braking energy to charge the battery pack. There is NOTHING magic about a hybrid. It is nothing more than a REALLY good computer that does a great job of managing resources effectively.

Charlie
Old 05-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisemon

Turning off the injectors has to be accompanied by a way to keep the exhaust part way open on the compression stroke of the dead cylinder or otherwise the work to compress plain air destroys any fuel savings.
Charlie
Naw, most of that energy is recovered when the piston comes back down on the next stroke. It's like compressing a spring, then releasing it.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Naw, most of that energy is recovered when the piston comes back down on the next stroke. It's like compressing a spring, then releasing it.
Well taken point.

Charlie
Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by cruisemon
:... There is NOTHING magic about a hybrid. It is nothing more than a REALLY good computer that does a great job of managing resources effectively.

Charlie

Most of the hybrids are small and aerodynamic to begin with, with exception of the SUVs. There are 6 speed diesel compacts getting better highway mileage then the hybrids at a much lower MSRP.
So for urban driving they do help because they shut off and don't idle, but I heard if you want to run the AC that the engine needs to say on, not sure if this is true on all models.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:31 AM
catchwood
Advanced

Default searching to $ave $$

Has any one heard of or tried this....

http://www.hydrofuelsaver.ws/
do you think its
Old 05-16-2006, 08:08 AM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Default this thing has SO much...

do you think its
that you'd be better served fertilizing a corn crop to make ethanol for E15 or E85.

The list of devices that have made their way to market in the last 50 years is astounding, from the thing that bubbled some of the intake air through water to add moisture, to the magnets that "aligned" organic, non-magnetic fuel molecules to the magic pills you put in your gas tank (may have seen these coming back). About the only thing more interesting is the list of add-ons that increase horsepower from 8 to 40, yet the results never seem to show up on a dyno. Maybe two years ago Corvette Fever announced they were going to run a series of articles on various "high-flow" air filters, devices that smoothed air intake flow, devices that added turbulence to air intake flow (figure that one out - if you put in the smoother AND the turbulence generator, how much could it make ) and more. They were going to put this amazing parts on cars and then put them on a dyno to measure the performance increase. The first article dealt with various air intakes. The horsepower increase ranged from zero to less than 10 increase, and NONE of them made the increases we hear about that gets the plastic off our hip. It was also the ONLY article that ever ran in the series. I wouldn't suggest for an instant that having advertisers be embarrassed when the numbers didn't move much, if at all, had anything to do with the series dying. Nope, wouldn't suggest that at all. Wouldn't be proper. As a matter of fact, they probably ran the tests on an improperly calibrated dyno and there really is a 12 hp gain from using a left hand threaded swirl pattern into the MAF rather than a right hand thread. It could happen.

Charlie
Old 05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
steve badalamenti
Melting Slicks

You're kidding, right? My 99 with 6-speed STILL routinely gets 30 MPG
on long trips. And that's not going by what the DIC says.... that's actual calc of miles divided by gallons-to-fill!
Why would you want to fool around with that kind of tuning?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steve badalamenti
You're kidding, right? My 99 with 6-speed STILL routinely gets 30 MPG
on long trips. And that's not going by what the DIC says.... that's actual calc of miles divided by gallons-to-fill!
Why would you want to fool around with that kind of tuning?

Drove from Nashville to Toledo, 489 miles, filled up in Toledo, averaged 31.5 mpg and ran 75 - 85 all the way and one blip to lower mid 3-digits indicated when I had an open stretch of about a mile. And it has 80K on the clock. I have had it about two months and just had to spool it up at least once. It seemed like it was starting to run out breath in 6th gear when I backed out of it even though the engine was only turning maybe 3300 rpm or so.

Charlie
Old 05-17-2006, 02:59 AM
NLKoerner
Instructor

Quote:::::::::
The list of devices that have made their way to market in the last 50 years is astounding, from the thing that bubbled some of the intake air through water to add moisture, to the magnets that "aligned" organic, non-magnetic fuel molecules to the magic pills you put in your gas tank (may have seen these coming back).
Charlie[/QUOTE]

You guys are just skeptics, I'm going to order 3 or 4 units and install them on my vette so i'll never have to buy gas again.

Norm
Old 05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
c5rulz
Le Mans Master

do you think its

Mythbusters just did a thing on this. These devices are

Get notified of new replies

To fuel economy

Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NLKoerner
Quote:::::::::

You guys are just skeptics, I'm going to order 3 or 4 units and install them on my vette so i'll never have to buy gas again.

Norm
It is a complex calculation, but I have just figured that if I put 11 of these hydrogen generators on my '98 along with 9 sets of the magnets that it not only will dyno nearly 800 hp at the rear wheels but actually MAKE gas that I can sell/give back to Exxon. Now all I have to do is figure out how to haul the 12,000 lb trailer that has the batteries for the H2 and magnet units.

Charlie
Old 05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
sikpuppy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I have a 99 FRC, 63k, Callaway Honker intake, LS6 intake, long tube headers, hi-flo cats, x-pipe, B&B bullitts, lowered, dyno tune, cam, blah, blah, blah and STILL get around 16mpg in town and last cruise averaged 33.4mpg @ 75-80mph (and I'm not a light foot either but haven't had it over 180......yet!). Better MPG than my neighbors Corolla which really chaps his A--!!!!!

No complaints and ain't looking to improve it, just DRIVE it!!

Last edited by sikpuppy; 05-17-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:42 AM
JCR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aint nobody getting over 20.0 MPG in city driving with any c-5.Cmon guys..fess up!!

Quick Reply: fuel economy