C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many coupes with "warped" rear window?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 03:00 AM
Chuck Broten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many coupes with "warped" rear window?

A couple of months ago, C5 Fredrik pointed out that my rear window on the drivers side had an indentation (downward) where it meets the rubber. It looks like it is the rubber seal, but it is actually the window. I was going to take the car in to have the window changed under warranty, but haven't gotten around to it.

Last Saturday the Corvette club participated in a show and we had half a dozen C5 coupes on display. I think the oldest was a 98 with the newest a 2001. I mentioned my warped window and showed it to a couple of people. Then we took a look at the other coupes and discovered that every single one had the same warping. Some worse than others.

All coupe owners might want to take a look and reply to this post. I have a feeling that our situation is not unique here in Germany. You will need to get behind your car and squat down a little and look at the window across the top. You will see the swell on the right and left with the indentation in the middle that matches the indentation of the top. Look at the bubble on the left and you will see what I am talking about.... if you have the problem.

Now that I know the defect is there, it sort of bothers me but I'm not so sure that a replacement window will fix the problem. I believe it is a manufacturing defect... :smash:
Old 08-22-2001, 07:44 AM
Spectre
Grand Poobah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (Chuck Broten)

Hmmm ... All c5 are designed this way the rear window is designed to match the curve of the top . Do you think glass is like silly putty . The glass in the c5 is pressed . For one it is impossible to warp glass without a blow torch . For two the rear window of the c5 is probably the only part that will never bother you The window was designed that way for aerodynamics and look .
Old 08-22-2001, 08:35 AM
Chuck Broten
Racer

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (vic451)

Just to clarify my post. I am not talking about the curve that matches the top. I am talking about a small curve, downward, on the left side of the car. :cheers:
Old 08-22-2001, 08:43 AM
Spectre
Grand Poobah
Support Corvetteforum!

Every rear window ever made for any c5 coupe has been and always will be the same . They are molded . You are seeing a normal rear window . Police mode on : " This is the police step away from the glue , we repeat do not sniff the glue" :crazy:
Old 08-22-2001, 10:30 AM
BeetleVette
Intermediate

That's the shape of the car. The tops are warped too! Must be for aerodynamics at very high speeds. I remember a couple of kids asked to look at my car one day and they said the same thing about my roof being dented. I know fiberglass does not dent, so before I even looked at it I knew they were wrong!
Old 08-22-2001, 10:46 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck, are you getting frustrated with these replies yet? :D
Old 08-22-2001, 10:58 AM
GS GUY
Race Director

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (wwashing)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-22-2001, 11:39 AM
ncvetteman
Safety Car

You said "You will see the swell on the right and left with the indentation in the middle that matches the indentation of the top.".....then later you said, "It just on the left". So which one is it? Maybe I didn't understand you correctly

If all the cars at the show were the same, then they are probably made that way...so replacement would not accomplish anything. I wasn't aware glass could warp.

[Modified by ncvetteman, 12:58 PM 8/22/2001]
Old 08-22-2001, 01:04 PM
AllVette
Racer

It's there on my 2001. Can't see it unless you look for it though. It's on the left side just a couple of inches from where the sail panel changes to the roof line.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:30 PM
MySea6
Melting Slicks

I have same, although looks more like a bad polishing
job on the glass before it was installed. I noticed because
the weather stripping is a little funky around that area.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:38 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See, what you must understand is that GLASS is a Non-Crystaline-Solid ..which means that it actually has the ability to flow like water - only much, much slower. I believe what we are seeing here is premature flow onset by poor glass pouring/hardening process. I learned this from one of my engineers at my Auto store KaleCo.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-22-2001, 02:42 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (wwashing)

Chuck, are you getting frustrated with these replies yet? :D
Chuck are you getting real frustrated yet??? I am ready to biactch slap someone..
Don't worry Chuck , some of us can read... the others are alittle slow but hopefully they will get.. Thank you for pointing this out..IT must be a flaw in the mold design.. I doubt a new one will be any different.. For those alittle slow.. Chuch and the rest of us who can read ,know about the aerodynamic dip in the roof and in the back glass.. Chuck clarified that at the beginning of this tread.. HE ain't talkin about that
Old 08-22-2001, 03:07 PM
COOL Z06
Melting Slicks

Hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:
Now I gotta go look!
Old 08-22-2001, 03:42 PM
ZAP
Pro

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (vic451)

Every rear window ever made for any c5 coupe has been and always will be the same . They are molded . You are seeing a normal rear window . Police mode on : " This is the police step away from the glue , we repeat do not sniff the glue" :crazy:
I like glue!! :cheers:
Old 08-22-2001, 03:49 PM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (Smash)

See, what you must understand is that GLASS is a Non-Crystaline-Solid ..which means that it actually has the ability to flow like water - only much, much slower. I believe what we are seeing here is premature flow onset by poor glass pouring/hardening process. I learned this from one of my engineers at my Auto store KaleCo.

Hope this helps!
Damnit Kale/Vash/Smash whatever you are! What are you doing in C5?! I was going to point out that glass it technically a liquid. That said, it has nothing to do with the aforementioned 'problem'.

Old 08-22-2001, 04:23 PM
MDT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (ShanMan14)

I was going to point out that glass it technically a liquid. That said, it has nothing to do with the aforementioned 'problem'.

You are correct, Sir.

Eric, pick up your prize. :D

Mark
Old 08-22-2001, 06:49 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Hope this helps!

Damnit Kale/Vash/Smash whatever you are! What are you doing in C5?! I was going to point out that glass it technically a liquid. That said, it has nothing to do with the aforementioned 'problem'.
I am so amazed at ppl bullshhit.."What you must understand is glass is Non crystaline structure like water" .. OMFG... Water is a crystaline structure, you ****... it turns to ice in the solid state.. ICE Crystals Amorphus structured material has semi crystaline structure more like molasses. Glass is a silica Amorphus structure.. which means the hotter is gets , the more liquid it becomes.. This all has nothing to do with this warp.. it could be a mold defect // or too much cooling in the mold in this area.. which would cause the glass to cool away from the cold spot in the mold..
Evil-Twin ( Polymer Engineer )

Get notified of new replies

To How many coupes with "warped" rear window?

Old 08-22-2001, 09:18 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (Evil-Twin)

I am so amazed at ppl bullshhit.."What you must understand is glass is Non crystaline structure like water" .. OMFG... Water is a crystaline structure, you ****... it turns to ice in the solid state.. ICE Crystals Amorphus structured material has semi crystaline structure more like molasses. Glass is a silica Amorphus structure.. which means the hotter is gets , the more liquid it becomes.. This all has nothing to do with this warp.. it could be a mold defect // or too much cooling in the mold in this area.. which would cause the glass to cool away from the cold spot in the mold..
:lol: Would you like to buy the Lowering Kit, too?

[Modified by Smash, 7:21 PM 8/22/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 11:55 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: How many coupes with "warped" rear window? (Evil-Twin)

Do all polymer engineers get so angry so fast? :p:
Old 08-23-2001, 12:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Do all polymer engineers get so angry so fast? :p:
I am sorry :confused: I've been on this earth a long time..Ive been involved with cars since I was 12 years old.. It just frosts my bloomers to see people spouting off as if they were an expert, giving people false and misleading information..I see it on this forum way too much. Then that guy said.. "What you must understand".... I saw red..
It is a definite flaw in my character... In my defense...Didn't you ever get pure bullshhit from someone and it cost you??? This is an information forum..My apologies to this thread.. and Thank you.. Eric

Quick Reply: How many coupes with "warped" rear window?