C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud whinning/vibration transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 03:16 AM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default loud whinning/vibration transmission noise

I need help to diagnose this unbearable noise when in gear (no noise in neutral). It sounds like it's coming from below the shifter. While in gear,I also felt a vibration on the shifter. The noise becomes louder (high pitch) when in higher gears (5th and 6th). If I release the gas pedal, the noise goes away. I searched and saw only one similar thread that a throwout bearing is a possible cause. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:11 AM
hybridmoments
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem in 5th and 6th gear...except mine only occurs after the car has been on the road for a while
Old 04-15-2006, 07:09 PM
htvette
Racer

The service manual says points to the release bearing being worn. I am assuming it's the throwout bearing. Sounds like a major repair.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:30 PM
htvette
Racer

How long have you had this problem? Mine just started a few days a ago and is getting worse. I hope I am not causing more damage or maybe I should get it fix right away.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:30 AM
hybridmoments
Advanced

mine started about 2 weeks ago, but unless I'm on the road for more than 30-40 miles, I don't hear it at all.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
htvette
Racer

I am going shell out 100 bucks and take it to a transmission shop to get an accurate diagnosis (either clutch or transmission). The whinning noise is so loud even the aftermarket exhaust and cranking up the stereo doesn't mask it.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Your diff gears are bad. I bet money on it.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
htvette
Racer

The noise is still there after changing the trans and diff fluid today. I did not see any metal shavings. I did see small leak on the left side of the diff. There's no fluid on the garage floor so I never bother to check the diff since it was changed over a year ago (4.10 from Cartek). Switching trans fluid from Redline to Dexron VI is major improvement on shifting. I'm taking it to a local shop tomorrow and post the diagnosis.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:23 PM
THE BLACK WIDOW
Pro

Same issue here......whining under acceleration.......none when in neutral or decelerating?? I've also changed tranny and diff fluids with no luck. I've heard that if it is a gear problem you will hear the whine mainly at deceleration....not sure how true that is?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Well when my gears were making a noise I quickly changed the diff fluid and it was no help. After researching and talking to some guys here on the forum I came to the conclusion it was my diff gears.

There was a guy here who had the same noise, and problems as you stated and I stated. He took it to the dealer and it was his diff gears that were bad. So that is why I said it is your diff...

It makes the whine under stress and not deceleration or when you are coasting. If you take the push the clutch in while going or doing 50 plus you will not hear a peep, now when you let the clutch back in it makes the noise when you accelerate or coast at that speed.

Cheers!!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
htvette
Racer

I don't think it's the diff, although I'm hoping because it's cheaper than the clutch and trans. When I installed my gears over a year ago, it made a clatter sound from the rear of the car and louder as you go faster. After I added some friction modifier the clatter sound went away instantly. As I stated, this very loud whinning sound is below the shifter. By the way, I did tried adjusting the shifter.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
corvette Mark
Pro

I had a bad 4.10 diff and the symptoms were exactly as you describe. Unbearable high pitched scream from shifter area. Mine would start at around 35mph and get progressively louder as speed increased. Once up to speed on the hwy the whine was only present while accelerating or holding steady speed, let off the gas and the whine stops. It was so loud that the car was not even driveable for fear of complete diff failure.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:51 AM
htvette
Racer

I just dropped the car off to the shop and waiting for an estimate. How long did your the 4.10 gears lasted?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:32 PM
corvette Mark
Pro

I bought the diff used and it was bad from day it was installed. I had to call DTE the next day and order one from them which I had installed about 3 weeks ago and so far so good. I only have 300 miles on it so far and I am breaking it in very gently and hoping for the best.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
hybridmoments
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2KVetteMan
Well when my gears were making a noise I quickly changed the diff fluid and it was no help. After researching and talking to some guys here on the forum I came to the conclusion it was my diff gears.

There was a guy here who had the same noise, and problems as you stated and I stated. He took it to the dealer and it was his diff gears that were bad. So that is why I said it is your diff...

It makes the whine under stress and not deceleration or when you are coasting. If you take the push the clutch in while going or doing 50 plus you will not hear a peep, now when you let the clutch back in it makes the noise when you accelerate or coast at that speed.

Cheers!!

You described my problem exactly, if it is the diff gears, how much is that gonna run me
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
corvette Mark
Pro

The diff will run $1200 and up depending on the upgrades you want and the install should be between $300-$500.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:39 PM
htvette
Racer

I called the shop and they say the noise is coming from the trans. They can't confirm until they put the car on a lift tomorrow(all of their lifts are occuppied). Could they be wrong? We all share the same symptoms and it points to a bad diff.

Get notified of new replies

To loud whinning/vibration transmission noise

Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 AM
corvette Mark
Pro

Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Well the diff is in the rear like the trans, so maybe they think it is the trans, but then again they are the mechanics and we could be wrong.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
htvette
Racer

The shop says it the trans. Time to give Rodney a call. They quoted me 720 labor to swap the trans. I asked them how much more to do the clutch and they say 800 for both. Do you guys think it's reasonable? I have swap the diff myself and it doesn't seem so hard.

Quick Reply: loud whinning/vibration transmission noise