C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMW Oil Catch Can Install w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:47 PM
laketullochvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMW Oil Catch Can Install w/ Pics

Not that it's a complicated install or nothing but I have seen a few fellow members that have had questions,no matter who's catch can you decide to use it's a ideal to have one of these can's in place,if you have ever pulled your throttle body and checked the intake you will see that oil does make it into the intake tract.
1)Remove the hose that leads from the valley pan to the intake,on my 04 this just simply a loop hose w/ no PCV vavle.

If you have purchased the AMW catch can, install the provided c5/Z06 specific bracket to the R.S. head,looking at the head you will use the top left and bottom holes,these holes are allready tapped and AMW provides all the hardware.

Once mounting bracket is secured, install the 2 black plastic hose barb fittings to the catch can,the 90 degree fitting mounts to the top of the can and the straight fitting mounts to side of the can.

Before installing the can open it up and take notice of the filtering system utilized,also AMW has ribbed the inside of the can which will keep oil from being able to migrate up the sides and getting sucked into the intake,the top simply unscrews.

Slide the catch can into the bracket,screw lid on securely and rotate can so that the barbed nipples face the two fittings on the motor, once you have it facing the right direction tighten the allen head screw on the bracket ring.

Slide the provided hose onto the valley pan fitting,this hose will draw from the motor and attaches to the fitting on the top of the catch can,route hose to can, mark and cut to length,AMW supplies factory style clamps for each end of each hose, slide those onto each hose before making final connections.
Repeat the process for the intake hose,this hose runs from the throat on the intake manifold and attaches to the fitting on the side of the can.

Once hoses are connected at both ends squeeze clamps and move into place at ends of hoses.

That's it,project complete,total time to install was 20 minutes,could have shortened that up but I had to rest and enjoy an adult beverage or two, Here are the pics with the finished product,there are lot of catch cans out there that are alot cheaper but my motto is you get what you pay for,as you can see this unit looks like it came installed on the car from the factory.

As you can see by by the photo there were no changes to the exterior of the vehicle.LOL.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Great job on the install pictures and BTW your Vert is sweet looking
Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice post. Thanks for the pictures !
Old 01-15-2006, 02:49 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Man, gotta wonder if you need a catch can with that clean of an engine bay. Looks like you probably clean the throttle body daily anyhow!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:01 PM
laketullochvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Man, gotta wonder if you need a catch can with that clean of an engine bay. Looks like you probably clean the throttle body daily anyhow!
Thanks guys,Nice to give back a little,that's what makes this forum so awesome.
I have a buddy who a parts manager at a Chevrolet stealership and gets me the wax treated cloths,I wipe down the engine bay whenever I wash the car,only takes about 10 minutes.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great writeup thanks, im gonna do this mod to, just wondering how much oil gets collected in there?
Maybe a pic of what it looks like? I mean is it alot or just drops?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:56 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob 99
Great writeup thanks, im gonna do this mod to, just wondering how much oil gets collected in there?
Maybe a pic of what it looks like? I mean is it alot or just drops?
What it really depends on is how much hard (WOT) you drive your car. No I also added the breather for the oil filler and this cut down on how much oil goes to the catch can. I think the catch can will catch the oil from getting into the intake, however with myself running FI I opted to the upgrade the F-Bodys have been doing and the results are good little oil in the catch can and non going to the intake
Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
C5Jimmy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, nice pics! Now all I have to do is actually find an AMW can!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Well this pushes me over the edge... I'm going to get one. My '01 has a PCV valve in that line, anyone install an AMW with their PCV valve?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by peter pan
What it really depends on is how much hard (WOT) you drive your car. No I also added the breather for the oil filler and this cut down on how much oil goes to the catch can. I think the catch can will catch the oil from getting into the intake, however with myself running FI I opted to the upgrade the F-Bodys have been doing and the results are good little oil in the catch can and non going to the intake
thanks, and the filler cap breather you mentioned where'd you pick that up from?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob 99
thanks, and the filler cap breather you mentioned where'd you pick that up from?
I believe it was from Thunder Racing but I will let you know tomorrow as I have the reciept in the office. It is a chrome item and I like it

This is what it looks like installed. The stock fuel rail covers will need to be trimmed and my are out for paint
Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe it was from Thunder Racing but I will let you know tomorrow as I have the reciept in the office. It is a chrome item and I like it

This is what it looks like installed. The stock fuel rail covers will need to be trimmed and my are out for paint
OK, trimmed around the neck/push in area i would imagine?
Oh and that engine looks wicked,
Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Idavette98
Racer

Hi Guys,
I am installing a Z06 intake on my 98 C5. I also got the LS6 valley cover and PVC system for it.
My question is: Would a Catch Can be necessary with the new PVC system?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Yes... I have a Z06 which comes with the parts stock (duh) and it still pulls a little oil into the TB with hard driving.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Idavette98
Racer

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Yes... I have a Z06 which comes with the parts stock (duh) and it still pulls a little oil into the TB with hard driving.
Thanks, Cobra4B.
Is the AMW for $160 the way to go? Seems like a lot of $ for a can...however, it does look great! Any better deals out there?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 AM
peter p
Racer

Is there another intake on the other side of the engine that also needs to be addressed with perhaps and in-line filter?

Get notified of new replies

To AMW Oil Catch Can Install w/ Pics

Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone know if the ASW can will mount as shown if a you have an A&A Vortesc SC installed or would it need to be relocated.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
allmee
Racer

I am going to put some type of breather in the line from the passenger V cover to the T body.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
SteveDR425
Instructor

How did you get the black piece that goes in the value cover off to put the breather in?

Quick Reply: AMW Oil Catch Can Install w/ Pics