C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started installation of C6 Z06 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Started installation of C6 Z06 brakes

Last week, I received the C6 Z06 brakes package from Fred Bean. Over the weekend, I began the installation on my 98 coupe with Fikse FM5 18"X9.5 front & 18X10.5 rear. The rear wheels fit over the rear brakes with no problem. The front will require a 1/4" spacer. I will be ordering the spacers from Fikse. The stock brake hoses will not fit, they are too short & they are obstructed by the top caliper bolts. I bought S/S Goodridge hoses that are a little longer than the stock hoses, but on the 98 coupe the hose blocks that attach to the calipers must be modify at one of the edges so that they tilt in order to bypass the top caliper bolts. The 1st picture shows the front wheel mounted to the car with 3 washers on each bolt to determine the size of the spacer that will be needed. Pictures shown below..........

Last edited by TriniJoe; 03-14-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:27 AM
jmautox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you manage to find proper right side rotors?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:14 AM
f430killer
Instructor

wow, looks great! How much heavier is the C6Z set up vs C5Z? I think Id like to run chrome 18x10.5 C5Z rims all the way around and those brakes if theyre not too heavy. If they dont dramatically reduce braking distance, Im sticking with the C5 set up.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 AM
QKSLVR Z
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks good
Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
jmautox
Instructor

Originally Posted by f430killer
wow, looks great! How much heavier is the C6Z set up vs C5Z? I think Id like to run chrome 18x10.5 C5Z rims all the way around and those brakes if theyre not too heavy. If they dont dramatically reduce braking distance, Im sticking with the C5 set up.
Brakes rarely improve braking distance in a single stop, that is mostly determined by tire and maybe ABS calibration.

Its when you are on track repeatedly stopping that bigger, more heat tolerant brakes tend to help. The c6 z06 brakes currently have some issues for that kind of usage though:

quoting from the z06vette.com forum

"The C6 Z06 PBR brake system is a direct bolt on with 1/4" spacers for clearance needed on some wheels. You will of course need 18" wheels to clear the front 6 piston calipers.

However there are problems with the system:
- There are NO right side rotors available. (The cars from the factory come with left sided rotors mounted backwards on the right) The rotors have directional cooling vanes...so the ones on the right are backwards.
( This is not a big deal on a street driven C6 Z06 because Chevy increased the cooling duct flow 4X) However the C5 Z06 does not have this benefit...therefore duct extensions and spindel ducts MUST be used other wise the right side rotor will overheat.
- Despite being drilled the rotors are still too heavy at 25# each
- Being drilled. the rotors are still prone to crack at track events.
- Pads are listed but are currently back ordered. ( Some guys that have tracked their new C6 Z06's have had to park their cars waiting for new pads.)
- Pads are extremely thin and wear out quickly, especially on the track
- Pads are the same front and rear , front kit has 12 pads, rear kit has 8 pads. Kits are priced the same at $337 each...go figure.
- There are no race compound pads yet available. There are some aftermarket Co.'s working on this but PBR is resistant and is threatening a law suit saying they have propriotory rights. Which is probably BS. If you change something (like the pad compound), the patent does'nt apply.
- Some racers have experienced top to bottom pad taper as the cliper piston shim only contacts half the pad.

If PBR was smart they would immediately supply:
- a correct right side rotor
- race compound pads (thicker)
- a slotted, 2 piece, light weight hatted rotor

Until these problems are solved I don't even recommend upgrading these for track use, or as a replacement on the C5 Z06

Instead I recommend using either Stop Tech or Wilwood replacement rotors or system replacement.
"
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmautox
Did you manage to find proper right side rotors?
The rotors are the same for each side, same as the stock C6 Z06.
I do not plan to track my car. I usually go to the drag strip about zero to twice a year for a max of about 3 trial runs per event.
I did not weigh the Z06 package before installation, but it is considerably heavier than stock. As you know the calipers & rotors are bigger & beefier. The extra weight is not an issue for me because with the maggie I barely have traction now.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 AM
jmautox
Instructor

Originally Posted by TriniJoe
The rotors are the same for each side, same as the stock C6 Z06.
I know, and its not proper =)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by TriniJoe
Last week, I received the C6 Z06 brakes package from Fred Bean. Over the weekend, I began the installation on my 98 coupe with Fikse FM5 18"X9.5 front & 18X10.5 rear. The rear wheels fit over the rear brakes with no problem. The front will require a 1/4" spacer. I will be ordering the spacers from Fikse. The stock brake hoses will not fit, they are too short & they are obstructed by the top caliper bolts. I bought S/S Goodridge hoses that are a little longer than the stock hoses, but on the 98 coupe the hose blocks that attach to the calipers must be modify at one of the edges so that they tilt in order to bypass the top caliper bolts. The 1st picture shows the front wheel mounted to the car with 3 washers on each bolt to determine the size of the spacer that will be needed. Pictures shown below..........

Pimpalicious.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:47 AM
jmautox
Instructor

You might consider a set of these instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brembo-R34-Front...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Now I've seen it all, fake caliper covers ! Let's see, we could get fake engine covers ( that say 427 cu in), fake HID lights, fake superchargers, there is NO END to the possibilities !
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Now I've seen it all, fake caliper covers ! Let's see, we could get fake engine covers ( that say 427 cu in), fake HID lights, fake superchargers, there is NO END to the possibilities !

They want to make sure that you are fully satisfy. How can you go wrong?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

You might consider a set of these instead:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brembo-R34-Front...QQcmdZViewItem
I will be the bigger man and not respond to this wisecrack.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

The C6 Z06 brake system looks good and they are cheap. Thats the only upside to this brake system. For me the downside outweighs the upside and I wouldnt put this setup on my car.

Is there also issues with pedal travel and needing to upgrade the brake master on the C5 in order for this system to work as the pads wear?

ching... ching...

VR
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those michelin mmx3's on your front wheels? Wow, they havent made those tires in years. I bet they are rock hard.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 PM
11secCivic
Intermediate

Those brakes look insane!

(The cars from the factory come with left sided rotors mounted backwards on the right) The rotors have directional cooling vanes...so the ones on the right are backwards.
Somethings wrong here - a $75,000 product with backward brake rotors... c'mon GM wtf???

I know the company that makes the polished C6 wheels for GM was giving them problems - hopefully this is just because of whatever company supplies the rotors?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:10 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nice...

Get notified of new replies

To Started installation of C6 Z06 brakes

Quick Reply: Started installation of C6 Z06 brakes