C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bilstein shocks, worth the investment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh98RedC5 - So you don’t think sports will be too firm. I have been contemplating new shocks for the last 3 mo or so and I been trying to determine the shock best for my needs. I think I will go with the sports but I do a lot of interstate travel. How much firmer on the interstate would you say your new shocks are compared to your old? Did you have base or z51 shocks before? Would you say “10% FIRMER”, or “very noticeable”? Or“hardly noticeable”? Is it a choppier ride to you on the interstates? Most importantly did your significant other make any comments on the ride? She say "not too bad", or its "OK"? My old lady would shoot me if it were real choppy on the interstate (she has a bad back for long trips). So I have to be careful on what shock I install.

Thanks for your help in advance. I hate to buy the sports and have to take them back to get HD or something else. I just need a shock that has more control in the curves and side road and just a little firmer on the interstates than my z51 shock are now.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:05 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboc5
WELL worth every penny. Keep in mind that if you lower it consider the heavy dutys. They have a shorter body for lowered cars but they are valved for z51 cars though. It might be slightly over dampened with the heavy dutys but its better than bottoming out on the sports. If you arn't going to lower it go with the sports. Eather way a great improvement. I run heavy dutys with a lowered z51 frc
Sorry, got them mixed up. The heavy dutys are stock leingth and the sports are for lowered z51 cars. I run the sports
Old 03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
dmitry_1998
Instructor

Default oil or gas

I guess the two models of bilsteins are the "sport" and the "heavy dutys", what are the ups and downs of both? Also, I guess both of these are filled with gas, i have seen some bilsteins on lmperformance.com which state they are filled with oil and nitrogen gas, but doesnt specify what kind of shocks they are. Are the z06 shocks gas or oil filled? My reason for asking is because I'm concerned with longevity, from what I understand gas shocks have to be replaced more often, have a shorter lifespan. Any feedback on theese issues...?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

I never did hear that gas filled shocks have a shorter life, from my understanding they put gas in shocks to help or prevent aeration which is foaming of the shock oil when its under a lot of articulation, usually high speed long lasting driving. In the off road world you can get low pressure and high-pressure shocks. The high pressure shocks are firmer but can hold up to a lot of off road abuse and not fade + better which heavy off road rides. I put low pressure on my Jeep since its a light ride and on and off use vehicle. I have not researched Bilstins website but I think its time too. If you do searches on Rancho shocks I’m sure you will see explanations on different shocks (high and low pressure, reservoirs, adjustables etc) and what they are good for and this might help.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dmitry_1998
I guess the two models of bilsteins are the "sport" and the "heavy dutys", what are the ups and downs of both? Also, I guess both of these are filled with gas, i have seen some bilsteins on lmperformance.com which state they are filled with oil and nitrogen gas, but doesnt specify what kind of shocks they are. Are the z06 shocks gas or oil filled? My reason for asking is because I'm concerned with longevity, from what I understand gas shocks have to be replaced more often, have a shorter lifespan. Any feedback on theese issues...?
Actually, it's just the opposite with gas shocks. The gas pressure expands and compensates for shock wear making them last longer. It also helps them give a more controlled ride on rough pavement and smoothes out on the highway. I have a Chevy pickup with the off-road option that comes with Bilsteins as OEM. I'm at 105,000 miles and the shocks are still doing a good job.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 AM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heretic
I thought I read somewhere that the bushings in the C5 arms are not replaceable? Something about knurling that gets destroyed when the bushings are pressed out?
What did you find when you replaced the bushings?

I didn't see anything like that when I did them. All the control arms have is a machined bore that was the same diameter all the way through. No knurling or anything like that. The rubber is so soft on the stock bushings that they press out without too much difficulty, and the new ones press in the same.

Chris
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
BossHogg528
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Pizzano
Are you refering to the F55 upgrade, if so, these are petty expensive also for the shocks I do believe, Kinda like the F45, that is why Im deleting the F45's, from what everyone has inputed, the bilsteins are a much better ride then the F45 anyways, and a set of 4 Bilsteins for the price of ALMOST 1 F45 shock is kinda a no brainer, too me anyways.
Yes, I have the original adjustable F45 set-up and at just 39k miles my car has become really loose, scary at speed suddenly. I haven't gotten under to look, but I'm assuming I tore an end-link free and have a Hotchkis set-up in the mail. I'd like to replace the shocks at the same time, so i was considering the Bilsteins, but afraid it will impact the resale value having the non-functional ride-control dial on the center console.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
dmitry_1998
Instructor

Default changing shocks

where can i get a good write-up on how to change the shocks on my 98 corvette?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/shocks.php
Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
dmitry_1998
Instructor

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Pizzano
thanks, that helps a lot
Old 03-03-2006, 06:29 PM
NCOMNC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Changed mine about 2 weeks ago and lovin it. I've got a 99 convertible daily driver with 75,000 miles, base suspension and changed over to bilstein heavey duty shocks and Z06 sway bars and end link kit. I had a suspension shop check my front end before making the change and was told I need inner and outter tie rods. I had them replace the tie rods when they installed my new shocks and sway bars. Well worth the investment the car rides so much better and really sticks to the ground(no drags or autocross). You will not be disappointed....

Originally Posted by dmitry_1998
I have a 98 vette with the base suspension. I am going with either the z06 or the hotchkis sways. What do you guys think about upgrading to bilstein shocks. Is it worth the money, and is there much differece? I also know the z06 shocks are around the same price, which ones are better?

TTT
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by DngrZne
I didn't see anything like that when I did them. All the control arms have is a machined bore that was the same diameter all the way through. No knurling or anything like that. The rubber is so soft on the stock bushings that they press out without too much difficulty, and the new ones press in the same.

Chris

Thanks!

Quick Reply: bilstein shocks, worth the investment?