C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:31 PM
BarryR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anti-Freeze

I want to change the anti-freeze in my 2002 coupe this spring. It will be my first coolant change. What is your feeling toward using Dex-cool or should I change to conventional "green" anti-freeze. I know numerous problems have been reported with Dex-cool.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

My first experience with Dexcool was when I bought a new Tacoma for my son to drive in 1998 and it came with Dexcool. I have changed it twice since 1998 and each time replaced it with Dexcool. It now has 90k+ on it and there have been no issues with the cooling system at all. I just changed the antifreeze in my 2000 Corvette and put Dexcool back in it. The old coolant was still translucent and there have been no cooling system issues with it either.

I have heard some horror stories related to Dexcool and I'm sure there is truth to them. But your car was designed for Dexcool and unless you have had problems with the cooling system, I would recommend replacing it with a quality Dexcool antifreeze.

I use the Prestone green in most of my other vehicles and by changing it every 2-3 years, have had no problems with any of them from either overheating or corrosion.

If you do decide to replace it with the green antifreeze, there are some specific procedures for doing so. Mostly related to flushing as much of the Dexcool from the system as you possibly can before adding the green antifreeze.

Here is a site that can explain the differences in antifreeze much better than I can.
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/produ.../aa052601a.htm
In any case good luck with your decision...

GUSTO
Old 02-18-2006, 07:27 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2001 has Dexcool in it 87K miles.... I just replaced it when I changed out my A/C compressor..... I did not consider going back to green
Old 02-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

We had a 96 GMC Jimmy that Dexcool pretty well destroyed the cooling system on. BUT, I think that was due to quick change oil places topping it off with what ever was handy. If I had known more about Dexcool at the time, I don't think there would have been a problem. I'm running Dexcool in my 04 and plan to change it out with more Dexcool when the time comes.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Dexcool is good stuff. I'm running it in two of my cars and had had no problems at all. My 01's is due to be changed in a couple of months, when it will be 5 years old.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Keep using the Dex-Cool. If you change to the green (ethlyne glycol) and do not thoroughly and completely remove all traces of the red Dex-Cool, you will have problems as the two coolants are not compatible.

Dex-Cool does not require you to use distilled water as part of the fill, but it won't hurt anything and will actually insure that there is fewer contaminants in the cooling system. Distilled water is available at grocery stores and typically only costs about $1.50 per gallon. Two gallons should be enough along with two gallons of Dex-Cool for a 50-50 mix to a -35 degree protection.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 02-18-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT SWITCH. the coolant will turn into a jell. Even "if" you get the dex cool all out, the rubber in the hoses are slightly diffrent. the green coolant will dry these out. Buy shell dex cool, they make it for gm.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Lovin It!!! - C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the DEXCOOL. It was specifically designed for use with the cooling system in your vehicle. The LS1 is a reverse flow motor and the demands on the cooling fuid are much different than they were in days of old. A reaction can occur between the new coolant and any old coolant residue or even with the seals or internal components. (almost all of which are aluminum as opposed to iron in the older cars.)

Most issues with DEXCOOL have been traced to aftermarket additives or mixing of coolant types.

HTH
Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turboc5
DO NOT SWITCH. the coolant will turn into a jell. Even "if" you get the dex cool all out, the rubber in the hoses are slightly diffrent. the green coolant will dry these out. Buy shell dex cool, they make it for gm.
These guys are right. DON'T mix any other coolant with DexCool. It causes a chemical reaction that eats up the seals, gaskets and hoses.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:59 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

DEX-COOL has a premix version out..takes the mixing part out of the equation.....also make sure you follow the steps to flush and fill so as not to end up with air in the system

here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1550969620
Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Nithros
St. Jude Partner since 89
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Lovin It!!! - C5
The LS1 is a reverse flow
Are you sure about this? The LT1 was a reverse flow motor but with the GEN III, I'm pretty sure they went back to the traditional cooling direction.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Lovin It!!! - C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOOH!!!! Your right. Long day cutting down trees.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-Freeze

Quick Reply: Anti-Freeze