C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-brake...I don't need no stinkin' E-brake! Do I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovin It!!! - C5
That spring is a real PITA to get in there . Took me quite a while to get mine on one side, the other side went right on. You just have to take it real slow. Proliferate amounts of cursing seemed to be the only thing that helped me. (feel better that is)
I've definitely tried cursing a lot ( ) and that didn't get the spring in there... I'm trying to push the spring indents over the tabs with flat head screwdrivers, and I was able to get one side on, but the other wouldn't cooperate. Also tried needle nose pliers, but not much luck there either. Any other tools I should try?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Lovin It!!! - C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I did the same thing with the screw driver and needle nose pliers. If I remember right, I used the screw drivers to get one side in. Then used the pliers to hold it engaged in the tab. Then the hard part. You have to hold the spring real tight with the pliers and then repeatedly try to push the other spring in to place through the hole in the brake pad. Like I said, one side went right on, the other literally took hours, a six pack and huge amounts of cursing the #@%&& Brake engineer on the C5 program.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

I guess the GM engineers just wanted to make this a PITA to repair...
Getting the six pack chilled.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
DuffyN
Instructor

I have an auto and I always use the e-brake on a hill to keep the pressure off the auto. I stop, hold it with the brake, apply the e-brake, slowly let off to make sure it is holding, then put it in park. I think the owner's manual recommends this. Ever notice when you don't do it this way there is a like a big jerking pop when you take it out of park? This equates to a lot of strain on that pawl a prior post referred to. IMHO I highly recommend a good working e-brake. We had brake failures on my dad's station wagon one time and the damn e-brake was about all that saved us - it was soooo weak though.

Quick Reply: E-brake...I don't need no stinkin' E-brake! Do I?