C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock letter from GM[merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Dreams190
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, this recall expired in February?! I just got the message and lock-up today (2003 Z06)

Being a technician, am I capable of fixing this myself? or does it need to go to the dealership for any kind of special service work?

Honestly, if I wasnt a technician and able to fix most of this cars problems on my own I'd never own a GM product again. I get check engine lights on a weekly basis for completely random codes that never come back again.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Dreams190
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Start by checking the battery. Voltage with no key in the ignition measured directly across the battery posts needs to be greater than 12.45 volts. Dash gages will not give you info on battery health. If the voltage is low charge or replace the battery. Most common cause of column lock symptoms is a bad battery or bad battery connections.

If Battery proves good then get the CLB and install it asap. Check for the GM K Harness in series between the BCM connector under the dash and the Actuator connector (wires appear to go up into the column)

Here's a link to a pic of the K harness:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html

Then scroll down to the first pic. The relay of the K Harness routinely fails causing the Actuaor to not get the signal from the BCM for lock or unlock hence the symptoms.

If you have a K Harness installed disconnect BOTH ends of it and install the CLB into the female connector attached to the bottom of the dash that goes off to the BCM. Clear all error messages and DTC's (I prefer to just disconnect the neg battery cable for at least 10 minutes but there are other ways to clear).

Here are some good install instructions for the CLB:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Be aware that with a CLB installed the column will no longer lock.
Well, using the first link you posted, I found this...

Q Can anything be done to unlock the steering column once it has locked up?
A Sometimes; turn the ignition OFF and REMOVE the key. Shock your lock motor actuator assembly by jerking the steering wheel against the stops. Re-insert your key and try again.

...and it worked!

Next question... now that the car is operating as it is supposed to for the time being, should I even bother with the K-harness? or just go straight for the CLB? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CLB seems to be the easiest solution...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 AM
bobplane777
Heel & Toe

I'm getting in on the end of this long post so please excuse perhaps a dumb question... do I understand this problem is only affecting cars through 2001 (e.g. 2002 cars and forward do not need to worry about adding a CLB?)

thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Dreams190
Instructor

I think that if you carefully reread my post, I am not suggesting replacing the GM K Harness with another K Harness. I'm saying rip out the K Harness and install a CLB in its place.

I see what you were saying now. I guess I was just wondering if the K-harness will fix the problem and keep the car the way that the GM engineers have decided that it should be. But now that I think about all the other things they've screwed up on this car, I'll just go straight for the CLB. Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
bobplane777
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the help. I have a 2003 manual trans. Looks like I need to do an install of the CLB (of course).

/Bob
Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is at the dealership with this problem now. The steering wheel will lock up most of the time when it sits overnight. I shook the wheel and got it to release and took it into the dealership. But they're charging me $247 to do this recall...? They said it was done in 2005, but 04006C didn't come out till 2006. So theres no way they did this recall and now they are trying to get me to pay them to do it. How can they get away with this?

It shows on their computer that 04006 was done but it doesn't show a, b, or c. I'm guessing it was B and now they are telling me that C was just a bulletin that wasnt a real recall, but that it replaced B and now B doesn't exist so they cant show me what work they did. They want to do this recall to remove the locking plate, but they say, "since the recall was already done, we can't do it for free". What a mess.

Last edited by noahdr; 04-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
noahdr
Racer

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the dealer is correct. Get your check book out.

GM had multiple variations of the recall service, 04006, 04006A, 04006B, and 04006C. They are responsible for only one free service to your car under the recall agreement they signed with NHTSA. The recall was because it was possible to drive the car with the column locked under certain conditions. The fix for that is in all of the above variations of the recall. Namely they set the fuel shutoff speed to 2mph so that if the BCM thinks the column is locked and the driver attempts to drive the car the fuel gets shutoff at 2mph. The other things they were doing at the same time as setting the fuel shutoff were NOT required by NHTSA. They were GM 's futile attempts to keep the car from leaving the driver stranded with a fuel shutoff or a locked column. Those never worked with 100% reliability ever. However the fuel shutoff does work with 100% reliability to prevent the car from being driven when the BCM thinks the column is locked.

Your first mistake was taking the car to the dealer in the first place! Your problem could have been resolved if you had posted on this board when you started experiencing the column lock related problems.

Now you got to pay the piper his $247 for work that didn't need to be done................ By the way you can still experience the fuel shutoff even after they do this 04006C variation of the column lock service so your problems are not ended yet........
Thanks for the reply. They haven't done the work yet. I'm wondering if I get my car back and do the CLB from corvettes of houston after I unhook the battery will it work properly? Or do they need to reflash the computer before the CLB will work? I'm hoping I can shake the wheel loose and hook up the CLB before the system starts messing up.

I also read that the fuel cutoff could be disabled with a tech 2, but I know GM won't do that. Is there any truth to this? Can someone reprogram the computer to disable the fuel cutoff, or do I need to cross some wires to fix it?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

Default 99 a4 corvttte column lock

can anybody help me , i have a 1999 c-5 with automatic the car will start but as soon as i start to move it stalls , there is a message saying ,service column lock , i call the dealer and they said that the recall has bin done to this car , the wheel is not locked,
Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noahdr
Thanks for the reply. They haven't done the work yet. I'm wondering if I get my car back and do the CLB from corvettes of houston after I unhook the battery will it work properly? Or do they need to reflash the computer before the CLB will work? I'm hoping I can shake the wheel loose and hook up the CLB before the system starts messing up.

I also read that the fuel cutoff could be disabled with a tech 2, but I know GM won't do that. Is there any truth to this? Can someone reprogram the computer to disable the fuel cutoff, or do I need to cross some wires to fix it?
The fuel shut off is speed adjustable, yours probably still has GM's original setting; 2 mph. I had my sons 99 Frc's fuel shut off moved to 254mph, which I was told is the highest value of the scale.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:55 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

the K Harness is going to fail again and again and again.......
Absolutely, the newer ones are worse than the original versions.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

Default vette driving me crazy got any matches?

ok here we go i am having that coulmn lock problem ,the message is on the dash and will not go away, and the car will shut down at 2 mph, the car was in for the recall and the wheel is not locked , i took out the k wire that the dealer put in and put in the column lock bypass, reset all codes, took out fuses stated to remove for 10 min. and reinstalled them, took out the bmc for 1 hour, took the battery out for 24 hours , still no change , the message is still coming up for column lock or to remove key for 10 sec,

what should i do next? please help
Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

i think i need to change the bcm , but not sure what else will need to be done in order to change bcm
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 AM
mikeyp123
Cruising

Default Sorry

Its a 1999 corvette convertible with automatic
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM
zeke2u
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm the 2nd owner of a '03 Z06 salvage vehicle that I recently purchased. The "Service Column Lock" message always displays upon start-up, but none of the theft detterents are employed: I'm still able to steer and drive at more than 2 mph. The original owner obviously had this serviced. In fact, even w/no keys in the ignition, the steering column does not lock, which leads me to assume that either the column lock was removed or the by-pass thingy was utilized. But why do I keep getting the message in the display? It's a pain in the butt to keep resetting the display after every start-up. Is there a quick and easy fix to this or should I just keep driving,resetting the display and just forget about it?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

thank you very much for the info, the battery is new, but i did not check the cl relay, so i will and i will also clear to make sure i am clearing codes correctly
Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

my be a stupid question , but what are pm's?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

yes i , did charge it all the way , and i got 12.6 , tested with neg. side cable off battery

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock letter from GM[merged]

Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

also when i cleared to codes, it did say that there was no code in all section , and when i turned the key off, the service coulmn lock ,came right back on display without putting the key to on
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

car is running now , i had the speed shop change the fuel shut off, and he also checked the relay on pass. side it was good, ,he said i have a bad bcm, he is going to repair the bcm ,for a very fair price of $150, stated 2 relays inside the bcm are bad
Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM
mikeyp123
Cruising

just wanted to thank 8vette7 for the help, its very nice of you to take your time out to help , thank you

mike

Quick Reply: Column lock letter from GM[merged]