C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Parts Direct PCMs okay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:56 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Parts Direct PCMs okay?

I'm trying to help a friend with his 2000 coupe.

1. The battery leaked. The car still runs fine (so far!). Is a remanufactured PCM from the GM parts website reliable? The site only seems to offer remanufactured PCMs, but I'm not sure about that.

2. I assume that it's a good idea to install new battery cables too. Does anything else need to be replaced?

3. When a battery leaks on the PCM does the acid also damage the frame?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
BiggieBoy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by DSKRALL
I'm trying to help a friend with his 2000 coupe.

1. The battery leaked. The car still runs fine (so far!). Is a remanufactured PCM from the GM parts website reliable? The site only seems to offer remanufactured PCMs, but I'm not sure about that.

2. I assume that it's a good idea to install new battery cables too. Does anything else need to be replaced?

3. When a battery leaks on the PCM does the acid also damage the frame?

1. Why replace the PCM if the car is running well?? Just clean the area w/ baking soda and water.

2. Check the mass of wires running under the battery. Within those wires is a plastic vacuum line which runs from the engine to the vacuum container i/s the right fender. Make sure the line is not melted thru. Usually you'll have trouble w/ your HVAC if the line is severed.

3. Yes. Clean the area w/ baking soda & water. Repaint if necessary....

Good luck......
Old 02-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Keep in mind that if you do order a new PCM, it comes blank, and needs to be programmed by a GM dealer. And not every dealer has the ability to program the computer on a bench (in other words it'll need to be installed in the car)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:49 PM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BiggieBoy
1. Why replace the PCM if the car is running well?? Just clean the area w/ baking soda and water.

2. Check the mass of wires running under the battery. Within those wires is a plastic vacuum line which runs from the engine to the vacuum container i/s the right fender. Make sure the line is not melted thru. Usually you'll have trouble w/ your HVAC if the line is severed.

3. Yes. Clean the area w/ baking soda & water. Repaint if necessary....

Good luck......
If there aren't any codes about the PCM and the beast is running, go with it. The outer housing might look pretty tough but the guts can be fine.

RonJ ...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:14 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Thank you for all the information.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Parts Direct PCMs okay?

Quick Reply: GM Parts Direct PCMs okay?