C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling engine: Torque tube support?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling engine: Torque tube support?

How much can the front end of the torque tube safely move around, with the back still connected to the tranny/diff? I had to take the tunnel plate off to get to all the torque tube bolts. I was planning to bolt a small plate to the first 6 tunnel plate holes, with a block of wood on top so the torque tube can't drop. But then I thought maybe I should have more free play than that when trying to slide the engine forward off the input shaft. Is the torque tube/tranny/diff connected at the back at only a single pivot point (like the engine mounts in front), so that it can rotate up and down without cracking anything? Or is it bolted in solidly so the torque tube will be cantilevered when the engine is out?

Thanks,
Miles
Old 02-05-2006, 01:44 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can move a little, just don't get out of control. If it hangs too far you could rip the trans mount, maby pinch some brake lines ect. Just use your best judgement, if you think its hanging to much you probly are right. Your plate idea sounds good
Old 02-05-2006, 02:11 PM
usnskeet21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plate idea sounds good i just used a jack to manipulate the torque tube while pulling the motor and sat a jack stand under the torque tube when i was done. Keep the torque tube as high as possible for the pull and reinstall. Make sure you dont have the motor at an angle and just yank her out. Then for the reinstall put a LITLE dab of grease on the torque tube studs and the pilot bearing to making stabbing it back in as easy as possible. That will be THE MOST frustrating part of the whole install
GOOD LUCK

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling engine: Torque tube support?

Quick Reply: Pulling engine: Torque tube support?