C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortex is BAD for rainy season...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:03 PM
TESTOSTERONE C6-R
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortex is BAD for rainy season...

After drivin my car on a bad rainy day here in florida(lots off pud holes) my vett after leaving the office started shaking, vibrating very bad....smoke started to come out the exhaust and then it shuted down. I started back up, waited 10 sec(code) The car keeped misfiring for awhile then the check engine light came up and car seem to be fine...This morning started misfiring again and the engine light turn off and everything got back to normal.

I then took the car to chevy and told me it seem to be water inside the engine. They told me the pistons cannot compress water and start misfiring bad and can eventually bend valves and do damaged to the engine...Im gonna have to switch to a different intake...any advice on any other? I already have the scuare hole for the opening...Im thinking of getting a dual intake(2 filters) so that water (in a way) does not goes directly into the intake (engine). Its a daily driver and cant be concerning on rainy days all the time with pottential damage to the engine. Car is fine now...just a little water in one of the pulleys waiting to dry up...just got an annoing temporary sound....sheek sheek sheek
Old 02-04-2006, 02:11 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Thanks for posting. It is stories like this that have kept me from doing anything on mine except for a lid. I too have been caught in downpours far from home doing 70mph. The last thing I want to do is mod my car and cause it to break.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:15 PM
dpd
Drifting

that's why i have the dual snorkel.it may cost some hp but is less likely to shorten a rod.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:25 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Never had a problem with the blackwing and the tigershark front fascia, even before the tigershark fascia, I had the cold air screens and still never had a problem.
what kind of air filter do you have in the vortex?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Jim Taylor
Pro

I doubt very much that you inhaled water into the cylinders. You got a little mist on the MAF that caused the misfiring, etc. It cleared up when the MAF dried off. A hard downpour by itself won't do this. You must have gone through a pretty good sized puddle and dunked your filter a little bit.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Taylor
I doubt very much that you inhaled water into the cylinders. You got a little mist on the MAF that caused the misfiring, etc. It cleared up when the MAF dried off. A hard downpour by itself won't do this. You must have gone through a pretty good sized puddle and dunked your filter a little bit.
I would agree with this.
You would have to completey soak your filter before water could get into your engine. And if you did this the engine would not run or run extremely poor b/c the filter was soaked with water and could not let any air into the engine.
If anything, I think you may have gotten a bunch of water mist on the filter which decreased the air flow into the engine and caused your misfires.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:27 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

I ran for 2 years her in South Florida. Heavy rain DID NOT slow me down. No issues with water until you submerge the front end. I think there is something else they are missing, or you went through some very deep water.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:57 PM
pwrful c4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 16Again
I ran for 2 years her in South Florida. Heavy rain DID NOT slow me down. No issues with water until you submerge the front end. I think there is something else they are missing, or you went through some very deep water.
same here.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM
TESTOSTERONE C6-R
Burning Brakes

Default No deep waters...

but the car is lower than stock. So, the filter been low to the ground it will soak the filter pretty fast. but the again...it was severe rain. This is the second time it happend. The first time i got the misfire but then it went away pretty fast. This time it was so bad that the car shut down and smoke came out the exhaust( I got very concern went it happend)

RPOZ4Z- the filter is just like anyother but it has a "cone shape" in the front; it is not blocked with rubber. So its kinda open in all directions..
guess gonna have to change the filter with a different desing...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 16Again

I've been running a Vortex for over 3 years day in and day out as a daily driver rain or shine and in very heavy downpours, never one single issue? Maybe I'm just lucky.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortex is BAD for rainy season...

Quick Reply: Vortex is BAD for rainy season...